German Shepherds Forum banner

Pup wont eat in the morning?

3K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  SuperG 
#1 ·
Any ideas as to why my 7 month old has gone from eating three meals a dat morning, noon and night, to refusing breakfast and only eating lunch and dinner? Obviously I cant force him but he needs the extra meal...

#4 ·
Perhaps make the two portions bigger if you feel compelled to feed him X amount everyday.

I wonder if the morning meal is the particular meal where a dog's hunger might be least present at times. With my dogs over the years, the least amount of energy they expend is after their evening meal, perhaps making the ensuing morning meal not as necessary in their eyes....????????

SuperG

#6 ·
Perhaps make the two portions bigger if you feel compelled to feed him X amount everyday.

I wonder if the morning meal is the particular meal where a dog's hunger might be least present at times. With my dogs over the years, the least amount of energy they expend is after their evening meal, perhaps making the ensuing morning meal not as necessary in their eyes....????????

SuperG
Perhaps. I'll try that, he typically wont eat more than 1.5cups per meal though. I'll see how it goes at lunch today. I wouldn't be concerned by it if he were growing and developing like he should be.

#7 ·
Agree with G. 2 big meals, and exercise to get the hunger up

Sent from Petguide.com Free Appc
I wish we could do some serious exercise. He doesn't have a whole lot of energy. Never has. We're currently working with the vet to figure out what's going on in his little body. He's just over 7 months and weighs 36lbs. Something isn't right and we just haven't pin pointed it yet. I'll try the two big meals today, maybe I can convince him to eat a bunch!

#8 ·
Is he skinny? or just small structure?

Also agree with the 2 meals, he's at the age where you can typically move to once a day or twice a day feedings. But have you tried the 2 bigger meals earlier in the day and the smll meal in the evening? could be he is eating so much so late that he isn't hungry in the mornings.

#9 ·
Yes, he's skinny. You can see and feel his ribs and his backbone is not prominent but I can definitely feel it. I'll try gravitating to small meal at night and bigger ones during the day. I would love for him to be ready for 2 meals a day but I don't feel comfortable because of his size and weight. I think he needs the extra calories. It's bad enough combined with other symptoms that it led us to EPI but the tests came back normal so it's still a mystery.

#11 ·
Right, but the last few days he has only gotten his two regular meals and no breakfast equaling less calories than a normal day. I hate to overload is system. I would be concerned that too much at once might give him diahrrea. I can give it a shot though and find out!!

#16 ·
He's on Taste of the Wild puppy formula. I haven't tried toppings yet because I'm trying to limit his intake to one thing and see if we can get the diahrea under control. I think it's starting to get better but I don't want to ruin any progress we're making.

#18 ·
Try some boiled hamburger and rice. Your pup may have a sensitive tummy. Kibble can be rough.
My pup stopped eating 3 meals a day at around 9 or 10 months. His choice.
Started not wanting lunch. Today he has a light breakfast and a full meal one hour after a couple of hours of work and play.

#19 ·
We've definitely been through it with the sensitive tummy. I've wondered if he was like me in that breakfast just isnt that appetizing. Maybe he's not awake enough. Maybe I'll add something appetizing to his breakfast... Or maybe he just isn't a breakfast kind of dog. I've got a few options to try! Slowly, of course, so as not to upset his little tummy even more!

Thanks everyone!

#21 ·
All foods are not created equal. You may want to look at the K/cal per cup value of your food. Might what to change to a high quality kibble that has more k/cal's per cup.

Example: TOTW High Prairie puppy 364 k/cal per cup
Orijen Large breed puppy 456 k/cal per cup
Fromm Gold large breed puppy 389 k/cal per cup

A food that has more calories per cup will allow you to feed less volume and still get the right caloric value your pup needs. Also, at 7 months you might consider moving to an adult food.

Just my thoughts.

#22 ·
It is also important to understand where the calories are coming from.....
Dogs should get the vast majority of their calories from fat and protein as the calories from carbohydrates ( all those wonderful cheap fillers in most kibble ) are worthless and completely unneeded. Unfortunately the vast majority of dried dog kibble is loaded with carbs ...which dogs simply do not need at all.

Protein and fat is where all the calories should come from....not corn,wheat, barley, rice, potatoes etc.....

SuperG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.