German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Feeding Our Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/)
-   -   Pup wont eat in the morning? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/448218-pup-wont-eat-morning.html)

Contego 05-09-2014 09:46 AM

Pup wont eat in the morning?

Any ideas as to why my 7 month old has gone from eating three meals a dat morning, noon and night, to refusing breakfast and only eating lunch and dinner? Obviously I cant force him but he needs the extra meal...

Thewretched 05-09-2014 09:54 AM

How many cups of what brand?

Sent from Petguide.com Free Appc

Contego 05-09-2014 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thewretched (Post 5495562)
How many cups of what brand?

He is on TOTW puppy, he gets 1Cup for breakfast, 1.5Cups at lunch and 1.5Cups for dinner.

SuperG 05-09-2014 10:22 AM

Perhaps make the two portions bigger if you feel compelled to feed him X amount everyday.

I wonder if the morning meal is the particular meal where a dog's hunger might be least present at times. With my dogs over the years, the least amount of energy they expend is after their evening meal, perhaps making the ensuing morning meal not as necessary in their eyes....????????

SuperG

Thewretched 05-09-2014 10:26 AM

Agree with G. 2 big meals, and exercise to get the hunger up

Contego 05-09-2014 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperG (Post 5495690)
Perhaps make the two portions bigger if you feel compelled to feed him X amount everyday.

I wonder if the morning meal is the particular meal where a dog's hunger might be least present at times. With my dogs over the years, the least amount of energy they expend is after their evening meal, perhaps making the ensuing morning meal not as necessary in their eyes....????????

SuperG

Perhaps. I'll try that, he typically wont eat more than 1.5cups per meal though. I'll see how it goes at lunch today. I wouldn't be concerned by it if he were growing and developing like he should be.

Contego 05-09-2014 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thewretched (Post 5495698)
Agree with G. 2 big meals, and exercise to get the hunger up

I wish we could do some serious exercise. He doesn't have a whole lot of energy. Never has. We're currently working with the vet to figure out what's going on in his little body. He's just over 7 months and weighs 36lbs. Something isn't right and we just haven't pin pointed it yet. I'll try the two big meals today, maybe I can convince him to eat a bunch!

wyoung2153 05-09-2014 10:53 AM

Is he skinny? or just small structure?

Also agree with the 2 meals, he's at the age where you can typically move to once a day or twice a day feedings. But have you tried the 2 bigger meals earlier in the day and the smll meal in the evening? could be he is eating so much so late that he isn't hungry in the mornings.

Contego 05-09-2014 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyoung2153 (Post 5495802)
Is he skinny? or just small structure?

Also agree with the 2 meals, he's at the age where you can typically move to once a day or twice a day feedings. But have you tried the 2 bigger meals earlier in the day and the smll meal in the evening? could be he is eating so much so late that he isn't hungry in the mornings.

Yes, he's skinny. You can see and feel his ribs and his backbone is not prominent but I can definitely feel it. I'll try gravitating to small meal at night and bigger ones during the day. I would love for him to be ready for 2 meals a day but I don't feel comfortable because of his size and weight. I think he needs the extra calories. It's bad enough combined with other symptoms that it led us to EPI but the tests came back normal so it's still a mystery.

wyoung2153 05-09-2014 11:26 AM

The meals don't dictate total calories.. just how often he gets fed. So you can still feed the same amount, just split into 2 meals.