German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Feeding Our Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/)
-   -   Fromm Dog food-Negative Reviews (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/445121-fromm-dog-food-negative-reviews.html)

eddie1976E 05-01-2014 11:12 PM

Fromm Dog food-Negative Reviews

I know alot of you like and use Fromm. Which led me to buying their LBP food for my 12 wk old Remi. I just found these very negative reviews....what do you guys think? They are very similar, same symptoms, same diagnosis, etc. Common thread is Fromm dog food...

Topic: Fromm Dog Food Dangers

Thanks

Thewretched 05-01-2014 11:14 PM

My pup does great on it, I will say that if the bag is open for too long, or it has lost its air tight seal. I've heard the fat can go bad and make them sick, but that's just something I've heard, my girl switches flavors of the 4 star and does wonderfully

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

llombardo 05-02-2014 12:43 AM

My dogs used to get Fromm until one ended up at the vet and a second one got sick. Once I changed foods there were no more issues.

CelticGlory 05-02-2014 06:26 AM

I use Fromm with my sister's little dog (I buy it for her), they leave the bag rolled up but not always, but she never got sick from it. They have it under a kitchen cabinet. This will be her fifth/sixth bag I think. I think it depends on the dog, we can switch her from food to food with only a little poop upset (soft, but not too soft), but not any other problems.

mydogs 05-02-2014 07:03 AM

I have been feeding the Fromm puppy since I brought him home he's now almost 7 months never an issue. I keep his food in a vittles vault. Will def keep an eye out though. Thanks

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

jocoyn 05-02-2014 07:19 AM

I used Fromm for a long time and had no issues with it. I changed to one with some different ingredients but, as a company, think they have one of the best records out there and a long solid history. I never had a problem with a bag but you will be hard pressed to find a company that has never produced a bad bag of dog food. They also are subject to how the distributors store and manage that food.

They are a leader in implementing a solid HACCP program. Some other companies out there don't even appear to understand Risk Analysis and Critical Control Points based on what they put on their web page about product QC.

K9POPPY 05-02-2014 07:43 AM

Fromm is one of the oldest dog food companies in the U.S.(1949) Fromm has never had a food recalled in its history- I consider Fromm to be a superior kibble-type food, from a family-run business.

eddie1976E 05-02-2014 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocoyn (Post 5460905)
I used Fromm for a long time and had no issues with it. I changed to one with some different ingredients but, as a company, think they have one of the best records out there and a long solid history. I never had a problem with a bag but you will be hard pressed to find a company that has never produced a bad bag of dog food. They also are subject to how the distributors store and manage that food.

They are a leader in implementing a solid HACCP program. Some other companies out there don't even appear to understand Risk Analysis and Critical Control Points based on what they put on their web page about product QC.

Which puppy food did you switch to that has different ingredients. I have been trying to balance # of calories, %fat, %Ca, %Phosph, CA/Phosh ratio, and it is a lot more difficult than it should be.

jocoyn 05-02-2014 08:09 AM

I did not switch until he was fully grown. I wanted to keep the protein and calcium low during the growth phase. I then went to Nature's Logic and a variety of other adult foods I would not feed a puppy but that had a higher protein later.

You also have to consider - there are a number of brands out there where Diamond actually makes the food which may or may not be an issue for you (like Taste of the Wild, which a lot of folks really love and I did until I got one of the recalled bags and they did not acknowledge/told me it was good to feed (which I did not)/then recalled the same lot 3 weeks later)

Or some where you don't have a clue WHERE or WHO actually does the food production, like Blue Buffalo and Honest Kitchen.

So I want to know who makes it, where do they get their ingredients, and what ingredients are in it.......we all have to make our own decisions but .....I believe there are not really all that many food manufacturers out there. I tried Acana and Origen, which has a good rep, but my own dog could never get a firm stool on it-others swear by it.

I think if you bang around find a 5 star food on dogfoodadvisor.com, maybe even a 4 star in some cases, and search around for comments ......... read the feeding the puppy section here.....you are going to do just fine. I think many of the differences are really about the spin they put on the food.

llombardo 05-02-2014 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K9POPPY (Post 5460953)
Fromm is one of the oldest dog food companies in the U.S.(1949) Fromm has never had a food recalled in its history- I consider Fromm to be a superior kibble-type food, from a family-run business.

I did to until my dog ended up at the vet and I had to spend almost a thousand dollars. It was something with his pancreas. Since the food has been changed all blood work has come back perfect twice. I have recommended this food in the past to lots of people, I still would but I do tell them about the issues I experienced. I probably wouldn't have had an issue if the second dog didn't start showing symptoms and she never gets sick. I could never go back to this food and feel good about it. The food is kept in the bag rolled up and placed in a covered container. A bag of food doesn't even last a week in my house.