Gaining too much weight too quickly? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2014, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Gaining too much weight too quickly?

I took Ari to the vet on Friday, and she weighed in at 21 pounds at 4 months old . She isn't a picky eater, and always eats as much as I give her, she just stays more on the slim side. My vet suggested that I up her feed to a total of 4 cups - she had been getting 3 - a day (side note; she is being fed natural choice) to see if she puts on any weight. We have access to use their scale whenever we want, so I stopped by today to see if she's gained any, and she weighed in at 25.6...that seems like a very rapid weight gain to me, 4.6 pounds in 2 days...just wanted to check in and see if I'm just being a worry wart, or if that was a very quick time to gain so much. Thank you!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
GSD4life_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2014, 12:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

If she was in good condition (lean but not overly skinny, not chubby), on 3 cups a day, that's probably fine for now. How much she currently weighs and how many cups a day she's eating is pretty meaningless compared to her condition. Different puppies will be different sizes at various stages of development and will require different amounts of nutrition. And the number of cups is only relative to the amount of calories in that particular food - 3 cups of a food that has 300 calories per cup is not going to compare with 3 cups of food that has 400 calories per cup!

Over 4 pounds in two days does seem like a lot, my puppies have usually put on around 3 pounds a week, but that's going to vary from puppy to puppy too. If she is too thin and you feel like you need to increase her food a bit, I'd start with a half cup more per day, divided between her meals. Keep in mind that her caloric needs will be changing a lot over the next few months, so I like to check their condition every few days by running my hand down their side to feel their ribs, then increase or decrease a small amount, as necessary.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2014, 12:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

My 12 week of puppy is 22 pounds now and looks "skinny" to me...but after looking at the Body Condition Score, he is a 4 or 5, so I think we are on target. I would go by look rather than weight and the feeding recommendations on the food bag. Although, I think mine is always hungry so I am going to increase his intake a little bit as he is starting to go through a growth stage.
eddie1976E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2014, 01:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you both for the advice! She is definitely not skinny, just lean...I prefer that over her being chubby. I am going to go back to 3 cups, maybe 3 1/2 verses 4, because like I said..4.6 pounds in 2 days sounds odd to me.

GSD4life_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2014, 01:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD4life_ View Post
She is definitely not skinny, just lean...I prefer that over her being chubby.
As do many of us.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2014, 06:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

They can gain and lose weight very quickly. She has gained 1kg (2.2 pounds) a day for 2 days, this does seem quite a lot of increased weight quickly even though you are only feeding 1 extra cup, but I assume Natural Choice is a high calorie kibble, so maybe increase by 1/2 cup a day instead of 1. At 4mo you would want her around 28 pounds, no more than 35.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.