German Shepherds Forum banner

Pup not eating

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  MaggieRoseLee 
#1 ·
I have my 4 month old GSD. He's on innova large pup I follow the bag guidelines and feed twice a day. He gets small treats thoughout the day so not much, and doesn't get anything in between. but just picks at his food at feeding times and will only eat about a third of it. I'm worried about him losing weight. His sister is on purina puppy chow at her house which I don't like, but he tries to gobble that down when he's there. I heard they can get bored of there food? I'm near the end of his food bag So it would be a perfect time to slowly switch if I need to. I heard fromm large pup is good. Would just like opinion from y'all. Thanks

#2 ·
I suppose if your pup is starting to look a bit frail...I'd get concerned.....but unless there is something physically wrong with your dog....they will eventually eat and quit being choosey. I know when I had moments with a past GSD when she wasn't eating...I'd throw an adjunct or two in her food....maybe a little beef broth and warm water or some yogurt etc.

However, for peace of mind ...nothing wrong with seeking out a brand of food that your dog enjoys...maybe some raw protein with bones and all....one never knows.

SuperG

#3 ·
Check his mouth. My pup really cut back on his food and I was starting to think he didn't like it anymore when I noticed that he had lost a bunch of puppy teeth and his new teeth were not in yet. Poor boy couldn't chew. Once I started putting water on it to soften it, his eating went back to normal.

#5 ·
@ exactly 4 months (12 - 25 to 4 - 25 ) Bella eats still 3 times a day. Teeth are falling out and growing in. Ears are up, no bendies. I serve the dog ice cubes. Try it. I just measured her. 20 inch waist. 25 inch chest. Two weeks ago @ 35.8 pounds. Get a note pad and watch his or her measurements. If the stools and the water intake are good, the food may just be where the dog eats what it must, but don't swap until the problem is indeed a problem. Bella gets 1 cup @ 9 AM with 3 tablespoons of real chicken, rice and veggies I cook. Then again about 1 PM. 2 cups ( all dry ) at night. So she's a 4.5 cups per day easy eater. Believe it or not the; Costco Chicken and Rice is working in this houshold...

#7 ·
Make sure medically everything is fine...

But also keep in mind that MANY of our GSD's are ---> http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/162644-pup-doesnt-want-eat-picky-eater.html so there are great hints and tips to use there.

Be aware, people that do NOT have picky eaters don't understand what's happening and will accuse you of just being soft. Tough it out!!! They will eat when they are hungry!

When I followed that recommendation my dog lost almost 10 pounds, happily and wonderfully skipping meal after meal.

Much easier just to work out what will keep them interested and at a good weight.

:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.