German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Feeding Our Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/)
-   -   Starving diet. =( (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/440081-starving-diet.html)

Diesel7602 04-18-2014 09:50 PM

Starving diet. =(

So I took my pup to the vet today to get his shots abd the vet told me that he is going to be a massive dog. He is growing way to fast, and I have to put him on a starving diet where he gets hAlf the amount of food and the other half carrots, green beans, peas etc... Just to make him fill full. What can I give as treats that won't put on weight? The Dr said he is already showing signs of joint problems because you can see his joints that are big. He has to go back in a month to see if his growing has slowed. She said he shouldn't gain more the 10 pound a month and he is gaining 3-5 pounds a week. She said even with the starving diet he might still grow to fast because he is going to be massive really fast. But if I can slow down his growth even if he looks like skin and bones his joint problems will go away. Any thought? He is 11 weeks and weighs 28 pounds. His father also is very big. I think he is a king gsd.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Diesel7602 04-18-2014 09:51 PM

Forgot pic.

Dainerra 04-18-2014 09:53 PM

How old is he? You can use sweet potatoes, carrots, our even a portion of his kibble as treats

Apoolutz 04-18-2014 09:54 PM

Just curious what are you feeding, how much calcium is in the food?

Diesel7602 04-18-2014 10:14 PM

he will be 11 weeks Sunday. I feed him large breed puppy food. The calcium is 0.65%

sehrgutcsg 04-18-2014 10:21 PM

My vet was a little bit concerned I also feed my dog peas carrots and green beans. My vet was trying to describe to me a little bout bit about the carrots in the diet which could cause some problems the dog has extremely large front paw's for that age group if it were me I would get a second opinion before you starve this dog.

onyx'girl 04-18-2014 10:26 PM

His genetics are the reason for his growth, if he's a King Shepherd he will be larger than the GSD. I'd put him on an all life stages food where the calcium and phosphorus levels are balanced. I wouldn't starve him, but get him on a good diet that helps his structure and joints to grow properly. There are a few threads about this in the puppy forums.

Diesel7602 04-18-2014 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onyx'girl (Post 5397785)
His genetics are the reason for his growth, if he's a King Shepherd he will be larger than the GSD. I'd put him on an all life stages food where the calcium and phosphorus levels are balanced. I wouldn't starve him, but get him on a good diet that helps his structure and joints to grow properly. There are a few threads about this in the puppy forums.

That's what I tried to tell the vet. HIs dad is a king and weighs 130# but she said if I don't slow his growth he is going to have joint problems, his joints are showing and are way big king or not. He shouldn't be gaining that much Weight that fast. I know I had to come on here to ask. Since y'all know gsd well or been there. She said even if he will be massive and it's due to genetics then we can say we least tried to slow down. I'll see if I can get a better pic of his joints and post it. So the calcium and phosphorus should be the same %?

Diesel7602 04-18-2014 10:59 PM

,his joints

Diesel7602 04-18-2014 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel7602 (Post 5397953)
,his joints