German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Feeding Our Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/)
-   -   Blue buffalo (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/437249-blue-buffalo.html)

Diesel7602 04-12-2014 05:17 PM

Blue buffalo

My vet told me to put my puppy on Iams large breed puppy food, or any puppy food that is for large breed puppy. Well I got the Iams, and he was ok with it. Now he won't touch it. He only ate it if I put yummy stuff on it. The puppy trainer said he should be on a food where the first 3 ingredients were real meat to grain ,corn ,by products. When I got home and looked, only the first ingredient was meat not the other 2. So I went to the pet store and found only a big bag of blue buffalo for large breed puppy, I didn't want to buy the big bag because he is very picky and don't want another half eaten bag of food sitting around. I found a smaller bag of blue buffalo that was for puppies, but it doesn't say for large breed puppy. It does have a little more calcium then the large puppy breed. Is he ok eating it, if it doesn't say large breed puppy?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

gurlonfire2004 04-12-2014 06:16 PM

No, don't give him puppy food that is not large breed puppy. Many people on this site don't even feed puppy food. Where did you go for food? Besides Walmart and the like, I only have a Petco, Tractor Supply, and small pet store. I've been feeding Stormie Blue Wilderness Large Breed Puppy. She used to love it, but not so much anymore, so I am transitioning her to Fromm Large Breed Puppy.

You can feed an adult food as long as the calcium is low. Blue Buffalo, Taste of the Wild, Fromm, Origin, and Arcana are the most recommended foods that I have noticed.

Madisonmj97 04-12-2014 06:32 PM

Why is it bad to feed a large breed puppy just regular good brand puppy food? And not large breed puppy food? My vet said that same.

Madisonmj97 04-12-2014 06:35 PM

I was also told a lot of picky dogs and puppies like biljac

Diesel7602 04-12-2014 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gurlonfire2004 (Post 5366281)
No, don't give him puppy food that is not large breed puppy. Many people on this site don't even feed puppy food. Where did you go for food? Besides Walmart and the like, I only have a Petco, Tractor Supply, and small pet store. I've been feeding Stormie Blue Wilderness Large Breed Puppy. She used to love it, but not so much anymore, so I am transitioning her to Fromm Large Breed Puppy.

You can feed an adult food as long as the calcium is low. Blue Buffalo, Taste of the Wild, Fromm, Origin, and Arcana are the most recommended foods that I have noticed.

Luckly I got him a small bag. I also bought large breed blue buffalo soft food to mix in it so he will eat it, and just in case it had to be large breed. As soon as he finishes this bag and the soft with it I'll buy the big bag of large breed puppy food. When can they have Adult large food, is it when they are 1?
aims large breed has
Crude protein 26.0%
Crude fat 14.0%
Crude fiber 4.0%
Calcium 0.65%
Omaga 6 1.89%
Omaga 3 0.4%

The blue buffalo life protection formula puppy has
Crude protein 27.0%
Crude fat 16%
Crude fiber 4.0%
Calcium 1.3%
Omaga 6 3.0
Omaga 3 0.9%
The soft blue buffalo I have ,said it's for healthy joints for
large breed. (Which add to the hard food)

Diesel7602 04-12-2014 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gurlonfire2004 (Post 5366281)

I go to petco, petssmart. Wal-Mart doesn't have blue buffalo here . We do have a I.f.a. that's like a farm store. But I haven't gone there.

Diesel7602 04-12-2014 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madisonmj97 (Post 5366313)
Why is it bad to feed a large breed puppy just regular good brand puppy food? And not large breed puppy food? My vet said that same.

The vet said because large breed puppy food has stuff in it to help their joints, since large breed dogs can have a lot of problems with joints and hips.

gurlonfire2004 04-12-2014 09:01 PM

Puppy food is supposed to encourage puppies to grow. In the case of large breed puppies, you don't want them to grow too fast. Large breed puppy food is formulated to slow down the growth so that the puppies don't grow too fast. As long as the food has the right amount of nutrients, you can give adult food to puppies. I was trying to say that some people wean puppies onto adult food, so some puppies never eat puppy food.

I am far from an expert, but I have read that you should keep calcium and phosphorous low as well as the protein lower until the puppy is at least 1 year old, but 2 years old is ideal.

gurlonfire2004 04-12-2014 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel7602 (Post 5366433)
I go to petco, petssmart. Wal-Mart doesn't have blue buffalo here . We do have a I.f.a. that's like a farm store. But I haven't gone there.

I've never heard of I.F.A. but the Tractor Supply here carries Blue Buffalo and Taste of the Wild. I have been buying the Blue Buffalo at Petco, but they did not have any small bags at mine, either (although there was a spot on the shelf for it). I had to order the Fromm online from chewy.com.

Pax8 04-13-2014 12:46 AM

Large breed puppy food typically has higher levels of glucosamine and chondroitin for joint support. On of the most important things as far as minerals is the calcium to phosphorous ratio. You want a ratio of 1:1. If you have a ratio of say 2:1 or even 1.5:1 it can encourage bones to grow faster than the body is really supposed to develop them, leading to porous, weaker bones.

I would recommend Fromms large breed puppy food. Iams is trash food IMHO and Blue, while very well-advertised has had very shading sourcing and manufacturing issues in the past. Their company also tends to be very evasive about their ingredients and mineral and vitamin ratios which always worries me. I have seen way too many dogs get severely ill on Blue food to feel like I can safely recommend it.