German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Feeding Our Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/)
-   -   Changing kibble - how long do I give it a chance? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/434641-changing-kibble-how-long-do-i-give-chance.html)

anitram 04-06-2014 08:42 PM

Changing kibble - how long do I give it a chance?

Hans came from the breeder eating Royal Canin for GSD puppy. He has done extraordinarily well on it - perfect logs every time. I wanted to switch him to a bit of a better food for nutritional reasons but also because he produces a LOT of poop and with our old dogs that decreased on grain free.

I first tried GO! but he just did not like that kibble. It surprised me as he'll essentially eat anything. It's a lot smaller than RC and to the touch appears really dry whereas RC is kind of greasy. No point in switching if he won't eat the food.

A few days ago, I got a small bag of Orijen (LBP). He LOVES the taste of it. I am mixing 1/4 Orijen + 3/4 RC. First day, he did great, regular logs as always. Second day by the evening he had pudding poop. Third day I added pumpkin and he pooped half log, half pudding poop.

Should I keep going? How long do you give them before just concluding the food isn't working as well? He had picture perfect poops before, even on the less-quality food so I also wonder if there is any point in trying to switch him.

Cassidy's Mom 04-06-2014 08:47 PM

I would give it a few days at the 1/4 new, 3/4 old food and see how that goes. If it doesn't get any better I'd probably keep him on the old food for awhile.

I usually do a fairly quick switch, with 2 or 3 meals at each level (1/4 new, 3/4 old, half and half, 3/4 new, 1/4 old, but with a dog that has a more sensitive digestive system I'd probably extend that to a few days rather than just a few meals before progressing to the next step.

mydogs 04-06-2014 09:11 PM

Give it a good 2-3 weeks. Add the pumpkin and plain Greek yogurt. Digestive enzymes also help.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

TwoBigEars 04-06-2014 10:13 PM

Orijen is too rich for some dogs. I'd give it another couple days, and if he's not handling it any better I'd switch to something different. It is a good quality kibble, just doesn't work for some dogs and gives them runny poop.

My dogs are so used to getting their food switched that I can just switch to the new food right away without issues. Again, doesn't work for every dog and puppies can be especially sensitive to new foods.

trcy 04-06-2014 11:18 PM

My vet told me GSD's can have very sensitive stomachs. I tried switiching my puppy at 4 months and he had bad pudding butt. I did it the normal way 1/4 new to 3/4 old for a week and so on.

The vet said to wait until he was 7 to 8 months and switch him very slowly. He wanted me to do 1/4 new to 3/4 old for one month. The next month 1/2 old to 1/2 new and so on. I did this and had no issues switching him. I did wait until he was 8 months though.

anitram 04-07-2014 08:22 AM

UGH, puddings progressed to pudding diarrhea this morning. Taking him off the Orijen, I could give him a few more days but I don't see much point in having to deal with his runs especially since he is at home alone while we work.

When I get back I'll try the chicken/rice/pumpkin combo for a day or two to just clear things up.

sehrgutcsg 04-07-2014 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anitram (Post 5337049)
UGH, puddings progressed to pudding diarrhea this morning. Taking him off the Orijen, I could give him a few more days but I don't see much point in having to deal with his runs especially since he is at home alone while we work.

When I get back I'll try the chicken/rice/pumpkin combo for a day or two to just clear things up.

If it ain't broke - don't fix it !

Add something tho the old first food, stick with it until there is a specific problem.. :sick: Try some minerals (bentonite) and some digestive enzymes... I like them and beleive they work wonders along with Coconut oil...

Shade 04-07-2014 10:21 AM

Personally, I'd do 1-2 days of adding pumpkin and making sure it's a slow transition, but if there's no improvement at all I'd try a different food. As already mentioned, Orijin is known for being a good quality food but it's not uncommon for dogs to not be able to handle it well.

anitram 04-07-2014 07:37 PM

Thanks guys!

We gave it 3 days (two with pumpkin) and didn't really work. Today he had 2 bland meals of rice/chicken/pumpkin and lo and behold we're back to perfect logs.

I'll start re-introducing the Royal Canin kibble tomorrow. I'd still in principle like him to be on a better kibble down the road but I don't think Orijen will work (it didn't for my old Collie who got the squirts too). I might give it a couple of months and try Wellness, Merrick or Fromm and see how he does on that.

mydogs 04-08-2014 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anitram (Post 5340241)
Thanks guys!

We gave it 3 days (two with pumpkin) and didn't really work. Today he had 2 bland meals of rice/chicken/pumpkin and lo and behold we're back to perfect logs.

I'll start re-introducing the Royal Canin kibble tomorrow. I'd still in principle like him to be on a better kibble down the road but I don't think Orijen will work (it didn't for my old Collie who got the squirts too). I might give it a couple of months and try Wellness, Merrick or Fromm and see how he does on that.

Yes wait til he's older to do a switch. These pups have sensitive stomachs. As they get older they can handle it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App