German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Feeding Our Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/)
-   -   Is purina puppy chow good or bad for your puppy? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/431489-purina-puppy-chow-good-bad-your-puppy.html)

Madisonmj97 03-30-2014 01:30 PM

Is purina puppy chow good or bad for your puppy?

I've been feeding him blue but he doenst seem to like it and I go to my aunts and he devours her puppy chow food when left out for her other dogs... Is it good for puppies? I'm thinking about just switching over to that if so.

mego 03-30-2014 01:30 PM

puppy chow is terrible for your puppy

mego 03-30-2014 01:32 PM

check this out Purina Puppy Chow | Review and Rating

the first ingredients are : corn, corn meal, chicken by product meal, animal fat

Look for something that has meats as the first ingredients

Jax08 03-30-2014 01:32 PM

garbage

HarleyTheGSD 03-30-2014 01:42 PM

Diamond is a good brand, and it's a reasonable price.

Freestep 03-30-2014 01:46 PM

Purina Puppy Chow is one of the worst foods out there, IMO.

My first dog was raised on Purina Puppy Chow, because I didn't know any better, and there weren't a whole lot of choices back then. I always wondered why she had soft stools. At about 5 months of age I switched her to Purina Dog Chow. The vet scolded me for this, so I put her back on Puppy Chow until she was about 9 months old.

As I got older and wiser and had more money, and my dog got older, she started getting better and better food and eventually raw and home-cooked.

She was fit as a fiddle all her life, and lived to be 16 years old.

I've heard stories about dogs and cats living into obscene old age on stuff like Pedigree, Friskies, Purina Dog Chow, etc., so there's clearly a lot about pet nutrition we still don't know.

SunCzarina 03-30-2014 01:50 PM

My children like chips and junk too.

If he doesn't like Blue, there are many other healthy options out there. Look at the dog food advisor.com

Madisonmj97 03-30-2014 02:40 PM

Is Iams healthy? Or beniful? I don't want to have to buy an expensive dog food that he doenst even like when he likes the cheaper kind. He'll eat my other dogs Iams adult food all the time. He won't eat the blue unless I mix it with soft food...

erintaylor1995 03-30-2014 02:45 PM

Authority at PetSmart is a pretty good food and isn't too expensive.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

SunCzarina 03-30-2014 02:46 PM

Beniful is horrible. They spend more money on marketing and pretty bags than what goes into the bag.

Iams not so bad. Purina one isn't that bad.

Look at Fromm, not many dogs turn that down. Small company that doesn't outsource production. Never had a recall. The price isn't that bad either, cost you the same as the better supermarket brands.