Puppy poop - can you reduce #/amount? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2014, 10:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Puppy poop - can you reduce #/amount?

Hans is just over 12 weeks old and something like 23 lbs.

Apart from the stress diarrhea he got on the day we picked him up, I've never had a dog who had such consistently great poops. Always perfectly shaped logs, always on schedule, even with food/treat variation, and even with eating some marrow from a beef knuckle bone. Just amazing.

But he poops A LOT. 4 times per day and the poops are MASSIVE. Again, always perfect, never loose stools, never constipated. He eats Royal Canin for GSD puppies (I will switch him to grain free as this bag whittles down, I just didn't want to make a switch immediately after getting him from the breeder) + 1.5 tbsp top up of Wilderness CORE wet food. I've also tried the regular Wellness wet food and the grain-free Blue Wilderness for puppy and his stools were always the same. He eats approximately 2.5 cups of dry kibble and 3-4 tbsp wet food in total per day.

If I switched him to grain free, would he poop less? The reason I mind is that he is also intent on licking his own poop/playing with it. It's very frustrating and we've tried everything (hot pepper sauce, tabasco - he loves to eat both) and bitter apple (this does work pretty well but you need to have the bottle with you). Basically we have a dog walker come in 2x per day while we are at work because I am worried that he'll poop in his ex pen/crate otherwise and eat it (gross). I would have much less concern if he was pooping 2x or even 3x per day.

Any thoughts? Is 4x per day normal?
anitram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2014, 10:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

For a puppy in my opinion yes! Grain free helped my dogs as less waste in food, but my pup still poops 3-4 times a day like clock work. after breakfast, after snack time, after exercise and after final feeding. My two older ones still go 2-3 times a day. There is a supplement you can give to discourage eating poo but I would just teach the "leave it" command to your pup.

Athena'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2014, 11:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Try to get the poop picked up so he doesn't even have the opportunity to get to it. Are you putting tobacco sauce on his poop in the yard? That alone should help alot.

While my boy had firm poop when he was fed kibble when I switched to raw his poop was smaller and he really only poops once a day. Not sure if raw is an option for you.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2014, 11:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
Try to get the poop picked up so he doesn't even have the opportunity to get to it. Are you putting tobacco sauce on his poop in the yard? That alone should help alot.

While my boy had firm poop when he was fed kibble when I switched to raw his poop was smaller and he really only poops once a day. Not sure if raw is an option for you.
We pick up the poop immediately else he'll lick at it. But it means that you basically have to be right next to him when he's pooping - which is fine when we're at home. I'm just worried that eventually we'll need to scale down the dog walker to once per day and then he may poop in his pen and eat it.

Yes, I poured tabasco sauce ALL over his poop in the yard and he went crazy, licking the tabasco sauce. I then picked the poop up but he continued to lick the remains of the tobasco for 2 more days (it had absorbed into the snow).

Raw would probably be an ok option for us (have extra fridge/freezer) but we do both travel a lot, for business and otherwise and the dog will stay with either my parents or my in-laws during those times. They both have dogs and love Hans. I just don't think it's realistic to expect them to feed raw then, especially my MIL who won't even come near wet food as she finds it disgusting to look at/smell. So I wouldn't want to leave for 4 days or a week or 10 days at a time and then have to all of a sudden change his diet.
anitram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.