Food question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Food question

Hey everyone, my 8 month old GSD is on Fromm Large Breed Puppy and has been on it since we first brought her home. She seems to be doing awesome on it, shiny coat, good weight, etc. But it seems she is starting to become picky about it and doesn't eat it right away when I feed her. My brother in law was recently over with his dog and just to see I grabbed a few morsels of his dogs food and mixed it with my dogs dinner and she ate it all up. Does she just need variety? Can you mix two brands of food, or what food would you all recommend switching too? I did so much research when deciding to put her in Fromm and now I feel like I'm back to square one! Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Some members mix different kibbles together and some members switch up the dog food every month.

I try to stay on one kibble, I am feeding all of my animals Wellness. My Dalmatian puppy gets Wellness Complete Health Deboned Chicken & Oatmeal recipe. My GSD gets Wellness Core and my cats get Wellness Complete Health Indoor Health.

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 02:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I fed Fromm LBP until Delgado was 1 and then switched him to their Four Star grain free line. Now I swap each bag through all their flavours of the grain free line and even my picky poodle never turns her nose up

She's old enough you can switch her and allow her to have some variety and still keep with Fromm if you wish. They have both grain and grain free flavours and you can switch between flavours without having a period of mixing which is a bonus for me.

Otherwise you can spice up the current Fromm LBP if you want to continue feeding that for a while longer. I use Tripett, raw eggs, coconut oil, olive oil, and warm water on top of the kibble regardless. Other toppers include sardines, yogurt, cottage cheese, carrots, apples slices, green beans - these are all just off the top of my head. They all have health benefits as well as making the kibble extra tempting for those picky eaters

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would love to feed her Orijen but it is a little bit out of our price range, would I be able to mix a small amount of Orijen to the Fromm LBP?
Old 03-24-2014, 03:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

From what I understand, Fromm makes food so you can easily switch them around.. (all the 4 star you can just switch, etc.) I am just not sure how many puppy versions there are. Though you don't HAVE to feed "puppy" recipes, you can feed your puppy "adult" food.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 08:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Would it be better to mix the LBP with the four star or could I mix Orijen with the LBP? I
Old 03-24-2014, 09:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Either really, it's up to you on what you want to do.. honestly.. one is not better than the other, it's what you want and what your pup does well on.

If you dont want to switch completely you could always add a topping to the food you want too. I probably went through 12 different types of foods for titan when he was a pup.. He'd be fine for months then would stop eating.. I just switch it up now in the sense that I have the same kibble some randomly I'll add things. He also get the time it takes for me to get ready to eat.. if he doesnt eat.. up ut goes til dinner.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 09:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yeah you can mix it with another brand. That's exact what you would do when you switch her to any different food - even puppy to adult of the same brand.

Venus went from Fromm large breed puppy to adult gold when she was 7 months. The kibble is much larger than the puppy kibble - she might just be frustrated because it's more work to eat those tiny bits!

I mix in Fromm large breed adult sometimes. My dogs like the change up. The 4 star line is too rich for Otto, that's why we're on adult gold.

Love Fromm, Morgan was a fussy eater, she was 7 before I found Fromm. She went from not finishing her dinner all the time to no kibble left behind - although she'd throw a couple pieces to the cat. She had coarse fur too, Fromm 4 star duck and sweet potato made her fur very soft. Really popped up her colors too.

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 09:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Fromm recommends the LBP until the dog is 12-18 months of age which is what I have been going by, but it would be ok to give her Large Breed Adult, or any of the four stars? I just want to make sure I'm doing/giving the best food for my pup!
Old 03-24-2014, 09:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

We switch between all the flavors of 4 star Fromm, we have a very picky eater. And our girl is 5 months

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Thewretched is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.