German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Feeding Our Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/)
-   -   Diet change and Puppy has runny stools (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/422153-diet-change-puppy-has-runny-stools.html)

AJmom 03-10-2014 03:09 PM

Diet change and Puppy has runny stools

I picked up Saxon two weeks ago from the breeder .Over the last week i slowly changed his diet from Purina Puppy Chow ,which the breeder gave him,to Victor all life stages and puppy. Since yesterday he is on all Victor and now has runny stools. He is happy ,active and no problems otherwise. Do I change him back to puppy chow ? He was eating 2 1/2 cups puppy chow and now eats 2 1/2 cups Victor. Is it maybe too much Victor since it is a better food?

Zeeva 03-10-2014 03:38 PM

It's possible that you are overfeeding...it's hard to say, but you're absolutely right in thinking that overfeeding can cause runny stools. Can you try to cut back and see how things go?

mydogs 03-10-2014 04:40 PM

Diet change and Puppy has runny stools

Add a tablespoon of plain pure pumpkin. Libby's. It's going to take time. Give it a few weeks. Make sure he's drinking enough water
Pumpkin will firm up stools.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Harry and Lola 03-10-2014 04:48 PM

Try adding a tablespoon or two of cornflour into some water and mix in with the kibble. I have used cornflour with diarrhoea and it worked for me.

AJmom 03-11-2014 07:23 PM

Thank you all for the advice. I really appreciate it. I have scaled down the amount of Victor I gave him and we got solid poops ! He now poops only twice a day and is happy and active.Instead of 2 1/2 cups Victor a day ,I now give him 2 cups a day .

JakodaCD OA 03-11-2014 07:34 PM

I'm assuming he's around 10 weeks? since you got him a couple weeks ago?

I usually feed my 8 week + a 1/2 cup three times a day, since you cut him back and your seeing better stools, yep, you may have been over feeding him...When they hit about 12 weeks, I 'up' it to 3/4 maybe a little more depending on body type/energy level..

AJmom 03-11-2014 07:50 PM

He is 11 weeks old now. He is a big pup . He weighs 25 lbs and is pretty tall for his age too. I agree I may have over fed him. Especially since the Victor is a way better food than Purina Puppy Chow.

Diesel7602 03-15-2014 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJmom (Post 5168793)
I picked up Saxon two weeks ago from the breeder .Over the last week i slowly changed his diet from Purina Puppy Chow ,which the breeder gave him,to Victor all life stages and puppy. Since yesterday he is on all Victor and now has runny stools. He is happy ,active and no problems otherwise. Do I change him back to puppy chow ? He was eating 2 1/2 cups puppy chow and now eats 2 1/2 cups Victor. Is it maybe too much Victor since it is a better food?

Try giving a tbl spoon of plain yogurt with his food. This has helped my puppy with tummy troubles. Firmed up his poo after a day. Hope it helps.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

AJmom 03-20-2014 11:09 PM

Thank you for the tips. I'll use them in the future. He was fine after a day and after giving him a little less of the new food.