German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Feeding Our Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/)
-   -   Blue buffalo (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/419793-blue-buffalo.html)

BaileyGSD 03-05-2014 12:44 PM

Blue buffalo

2 Attachment(s)
I've been feeding my pup blue buffalo Attachment 187593Attachment 187601 and I was wondering on what's everyone opinion on this brand of food and if there's something that would be better and healthier then what I'm giving him now. Thank you for y'all's time.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

dpc134 03-05-2014 12:48 PM

I feed my GSD Blue Buffalo Wilderness - Large Breed. She loves it. Coat is shiny and stools are regular. I have no issues with their food. I have not tried the regular Blue Buffalo, but my breeder fed all of her GSD regular Blue Buffalo.
The best way to know is how your dog reacts to it and how excited he/she gets when you feed them.

RubyTuesday 03-05-2014 06:59 PM

Blue Buffalo is ok, imo, but Blue Wilderness is superior. It was among my favorites when I fed kibble. It is pricy, so if that's an issue the regular Blue Buffalo s/b fine, if your dog does well on it.

gurlonfire2004 03-05-2014 10:28 PM

I also feed the Blue Wilderness large breed puppy. My pup loves it, so I've stuck with it. She also has a shiny coat and good poops. On dogfoodadvisor.com the blue wilderness LBP is rated 5 stars.

GSDAlphaMom 03-05-2014 10:36 PM

I wouldn't feed BB if it was free. I wish I could find the BB thread I posted on a few years ago. I went through all kinds of hoops trying to find out their cal/pho levels. It's top secret which tells me they are too high.

They kept quoting what was on the bag which is only the minimums. THey would not reveal the maximums. If it was in range they would be happy to publish it. SOmeone commented on that thread that they use to work for them and they couldn't even find out.

There are better foods out there.

Found it: http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ey-hiding.html

ZoeD1217 03-05-2014 10:56 PM

Yikes...We are also feeding Blue Wilderness. I'll have to check out that post.

jafo220 03-06-2014 07:44 AM

I'm not a dogfood nutritionist, but I'm sure there are much worse foods out there with tons more non nutritional fillers than BB. Most companies that formulate thier formulas guard them with thier lives. It's in thier best interest not to put out sensitive formula information. I wouldn't think it has anything to do with being unhealthy levels. If you really want to know, sample the food and have it analized by a lab.

But yeh, I've fed BB almost all the way through with Cruz. He has done great on it. Started with puppy and now on Wilderness. His energy levels are great, coat is great. No real problems. Thing is, dog food topics are like car or people food topics. Everyones got opinions, and for me can make settling on one brand tougher. I just decided to stay with BB, as he has done well with it.

Darren2711 03-06-2014 07:48 AM

I had my pup on BB, but he had runny stools on it so I switched him off of it. BB is a good food, some dogs can take to it, others can't.

GSDAlphaMom 03-06-2014 08:23 AM

I didn't ask for their formula, only the cal/pho max levels. Some of the better foods show both min and max on their labels. You cannot tell me if they were in the correct range the would keep it secret. They would brag about it if they were. Yes there are worse foods then BB but there are certainly plenty of better ones, especially at their price range. BB price isn't due to their 'quaility' ingredients, it's because of their aggressive ad campaign. I jumped off that train immediately after discovering what kind of company they are. I've contacted other companies that did not have the max on their label and they gladly told me what their max cal/pho levels were. That info is not part of a 'sceret' formula.

LaRen616 03-06-2014 08:27 AM

I much prefer the Blue Wilderness, I have fed it and I had good results with it.