feeding 4 month old puppy adult food - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default feeding 4 month old puppy adult food

So 2 months ago we added my male's full sister to our home. She is currently 4 months old. She was on Kirkland puppy food when we got her but since we let our membership lapse I can't buy that food. We were originally just bringing her home to test her out (I didn't think Jerry Lee would allow a puppy in the home) so I just picked up a little bag of Purina one. Well she got pretty comfortable here pretty quickly so we decided to keep her. I noticed Wal-Mart has a new grain free fished based food that is all life stages so I thought that would be perfect because Jerry needs grain free fish based food. Well unfortunately that didn't work for our new baby (Sophia) so we put her back on Purina one and our other digs are finishing the other food. Now Sophia did well on Dearborn holistic which is all life stages but my schnauzer doesn't do well on it. I usually feed TOTW but that is for maintenance. At what age would it be ok for me to switch Sophia to the TOTW?
jewels04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 09:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would keep her on the puppy chow until she is 18 months old.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Well we do plan on keeping her on something suitable for puppies but hopefully better than Purina one. But the grain free we found at Wal-Mart messed her up good so right now I want to keep her on Purina one because she is doing well on it. With the pure balance food she was having urinating problems which I thought was her having housebreaking issues but I work at a vet clinic as a tech and asked my boss he put two and two together right away and said to put her back on the Purina one. Once I did that her issues went away immediately that day she stopped drinking bowls and bowls of water and she hasn't had one more accident in the house.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I put all mine on adult kibble right from very young around 3 to 4 months. It is essential you grow your puppy slowly and adult food typically doesn't have as high fat and protein than puppy kibble so a lot of dogs grow nicely on it.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 08:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry and Lola View Post
I put all mine on adult kibble right from very young around 3 to 4 months. It is essential you grow your puppy slowly and adult food typically doesn't have as high fat and protein than puppy kibble so a lot of dogs grow nicely on it.
So even if the food says for maintenance would it be ok for her? Lots of people suggest putting her on adult food but the food my other two eat the bag says for maintenance, I'm just curious if it's ok to put her on that our just try to find an all life stages food they can all eat?
Old 03-04-2014, 08:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Looking at TOTW's website this is all life stages but isn't the calcium content too high?
Taste of the Wild Mobile
Old 03-04-2014, 08:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Totw calcium is pretty much the highest toucan go without being too much. Why not try Fromm large breed puppy, or go straight to 4 star grain free Fromm

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Thewretched is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 08:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewretched View Post
Totw calcium is pretty much the highest toucan go without being too much. Why not try Fromm large breed puppy, or go straight to 4 star grain free Fromm

I looked at fromm but we can't get it locally and my husband doesn't want to have their food shipped. Especially if we don't know if they will do well on it. If we knew they tolerated it he would probably say ok. But his one request is that we don't order the animal's food. I'll have to talk to him about trying it though because when I was checking about Sophia's problem fromm was the food that I kept hearing came highly recommended.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

Vet said; puppy food is a rip off. I still used it but now use Kirkland Chicken and rice, with home cooked mix. I think he made a reference to protein and carb ratio ?

When my father was practicing law in 1960, they fed the mutt Cornflakes and milk, because they did not have the funds. The dog lived 15 years.. Candy, my puppy !!!

Grandmother, used to have a cow when Candy grabbed my baby bottle in her teeth and ran with it, like the germs would kill me...
sehrgutcsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 09:16 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default feeding 4 month old puppy adult food

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels04 View Post
I looked at fromm but we can't get it locally and my husband doesn't want to have their food shipped. Especially if we don't know if they will do well on it. If we knew they tolerated it he would probably say ok. But his one request is that we don't order the animal's food. I'll have to talk to him about trying it though because when I was checking about Sophia's problem fromm was the food that I kept hearing came highly recommended.

I had a hard time finding it locally, I had to use Fromm's website and type in my zip code and it showed local stores that sold it I didn't know existed, try that
http://frommfamily.com/retailers/usa

Thewretched is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.