Iams Large Breed Puppy Food - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2014, 11:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Iams Large Breed Puppy Food

My breeder has been feeding the puppies Iams Large Breed Puppy Food. She said they have been doing well on it. I reviewed the ingredients and am not too impressed. Has anybody had any experience with this food? I will be getting my puppy this week and want the best for him... any advice is greatly appreciated
jay197 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2014, 12:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome to the forum!!

Find a high quality food that you like the ingredients to and switch him over once you get him. But it needs to be a slow switch like over the course of a week or more. You are correct in thinking iams isn't much good.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Not the greatest food but if u switch wait a week or two let him settle into a new environment. Switch slowly! 75%old 25 new for 3 days then 50/50 3 days then 75 new 25 old 3 days to 100% new

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
mydogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 01:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I tried to switch my GSD over to a higher quality food when he was 3 months. He did not do well with the standard time frames to switch over. My vet recommended I wait until he was 7 to 8 months and switch him over more slowly. Like a month between the increases. We are doing that now and he is doing well.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

My adult Jack Russell was on lamb and rice (red label grocery store food) for years with great stools and no nutritional issues. When I got the new GSD pup she did not do well on it and I wanted both on the same diet. Both get home cooked chicken, rice, peas, carrots, green beans and dry food mixed when served. I suggest as others, get the pup on a diet that works and stay with it, make up your mind, digestion and nutrition trumps everything.. Change slow... Good luck. !!
sehrgutcsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 03:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Not a great brand. When you get your pup ask the breeder for about a weeks worth of food. Slowly incorporate a new brand in with the old (example: if you are feeding him/her a1/2 cup 3x day start with a third of the amount per feeding with the new kibble slowly replacing the old portion with the new).

Anything grain free is a good choice.
Best of luck
Old 03-02-2014, 07:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Gunner was on garbage food when we got him at 8weeks, I immediately switched him to boiled chicken,rice, and pumpkin for 2 days then slowly added orijen and the honest kitchen to that and never had a problem.
Apoolutz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 08:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah I'd probably switch to something better. As no one's mentioned it yet, you want to take a look at some of the higher rated or more recommended foods on this site:

Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor
Kahrg4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 10:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

I use Wellness Large Breed Puppy Food... Iams is not a great food.

*-*Summer*-*
SummerGSDLover is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014, 03:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm going to be the Devil's advocate in this thread.

Try to make the switch to a higher quality food...but don't be upset if the dog's system can't handle it even after a proper switch. My GSD Finn needed to be on a better quality food and he took the switch very well to Blue Buffalo. My Collie, Chey, couldn't handle the high end food. You want to talk about diarrhea? Nothing like a white carpet being saturated with it and her spending more time outside pooping than playing. We tried it over four months with a few different high end foods. Her system couldn't handle it, so we went back to feeding her Kibbles and Bits.

Abi, my Pom, couldn't handle Blue Buffalo. Same problem. She couldn't handle any of the high end foods, but she ended up having food allergies. Now she's on a mix of grain free/chicken free and RAW.

My first dog lived to be a healthy 16 on what's considered crud food and died of natural causes. My second dog spent half his life on crud food, then when he developed skin problems, he was switched over to high end food...which he couldn't tolerate. He ended up being on RAW due to his skin problems and did well on it until the day he passed.

Try the switch, but don't be upset if your pup doesn't take to the high end food.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Shaolin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.