German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Feeding Our Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/)
-   -   Taste of the Wild? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/415266-taste-wild.html)

Airman1stclass 02-23-2014 09:57 PM

Taste of the Wild?

Does anybody feed their dog tast of the wild? Would you recommend it? I'll be getting my pup around march 15 and I would like to buy a good quality dog food. I was also told not to feed my puppy, puppy food. Too much protein could make him grow to fast amd could potentially cause HD. Also what type of training treets would you guys recommend. Last but not least, best puppy shampoo/conditioner and deodorizer. Sorry I know this all wasn't in the title. Any advice would still be appreciated. Thanks.

ladyb 02-23-2014 10:33 PM

I have fed them all, the 5 star, 4 star, including TOTW, which is considered a very good food...she did fine on it, it's a bit expensive and not found at every dog store in my area, but, as many of us find, she is a very, very picky GSD, and turns her nose up at any kibble until it's got something interesting mixed in...I'm of the opinion if I could find a kibble that she loved, I'd buy it all the time! Right now we are eating BB....
Pet stores sell little training treats for puppies, they are tiny and just a calorie or so in each one...I used these forever.... Now she loves her treats, probably her favorite ones would be bil-jak treats.
Have bought shampoo a couple of times, but it's hard to bath her at home inside and it's too cold outside, so I take her somewhere or to a self service dog wash- they usually supply the shampoo!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

LoveEcho 02-23-2014 10:41 PM

I feed TOTW to my male with severe food allergies and he does wonderfully on it. I feed the puppy formula to my female and she's also doing well. It's actually one if the least expensive of the premium LID brands, but I agree it can be hard to find. I order it from amazon and have it on auto-ship.

Thewretched 02-23-2014 10:44 PM

Taste of the wild my shepherd was on until like the last poster said, she got tired of it... So we changed to Fromm... But taste of the wild is good if you can get them to eat it..

For treats for training, we use high quality kibble such as Orijen or Fromm 4 star, as it is low calorie and can really pump her full of it..

Shampoo we try to avoid, she plays in mud puddles every-other day and stays pretty clean

Loneforce 02-23-2014 10:48 PM

Jonas was fed TOTW pacific stream from roughly 4 weeks until He hated it at 5 months old. He did very good on it. I did try to let him have it again recently, but I can honestly say. I have never seen a dog wrinkle his face up like that before. LOL He hates it. He makes a face and spits it out. He is on Merrick beef grain free, and he loves it. You could do the amazon.com thing, or try Chewy.com. I highly recommend them.

Airman1stclass 02-23-2014 10:49 PM

I was looking at it on wag.com. first time buyers get like a 20 percent off deal. I figure I can get two bags and hopefully that should last a puppy a couple months. Btw, how long would two 33 pound bags of food last for a puppy?

Loneforce 02-23-2014 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airman1stclass (Post 5074810)
I was looking at it on wag.com. first time buyers get like a 20 percent off deal. I figure I can get two bags and hopefully that should last a puppy a couple months. Btw, how long would two 33 pound bags of food last for a puppy?

Don't make the mistake I did. Only get one bag, and make sure the pup really likes the food. They actually can change what they like over night. I was stuck with 2 bags of TOTW, when Jonas became a hater LOL. I ended up donating it to the Humane Society.

willoglen 02-23-2014 10:54 PM

I feed my GSD and 2 Shelties TOTW (my Shelties are retired conformation show dogs; 1 is an AKC champion and the other is pointed). I rotate between flavors, and they all LOVE it. They lick their bowls clean every time, even without any additions. Plus, their coats are in beautiful, shiny condition.

I use Jeffers "Baby Powder" shampoo:

Baby Powder Tearless Shampoo

Airman1stclass 02-23-2014 10:56 PM

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I really appreciate it. I can't wait to get this guy.

Baillif 02-23-2014 10:58 PM

I've fed it. No complaints.