German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Feeding Our Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/)
-   -   Food for puppy and 1 yr old.... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/413866-food-puppy-1-yr-old.html)

Darren2711 02-20-2014 06:50 PM

Food for puppy and 1 yr old....

I have a 9 week old and 1 yr old....I currently feed the 9 wk old Blue Buffalo puppy. It is giving him runny stool and I want to switch him from it. My 1 yr old is getting TOTW. She does good on it...but it is just very expensive and with my wife and I expecting our new child (human) in the next couple months our income is gonna decrease since she will be leaving her job.

SO...my question is...if you were in my situation would you feed both dogs the same food, and if so what formula would you choose? I am not going to feed RAW at this time, so that is out of the question unfortunately. I've read tons of threads no feeding puppies adult or ALS formulas and I am wanting to go that route.

All that being said...Do you think Nutro natural choice endurance/protein would be a good option?

How about eukanuba excel large breed salmon??

If I am totally crazy, please tell me what you'd recommend! Thanks in advance!

mydogs 02-20-2014 07:12 PM

I stay away from any food made by Diamond. TOTW is one. Do you have a costco near you I know they Carry food that is priced right.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

mydogs 02-20-2014 07:17 PM

Also ALS is fine for the puppy. You can look up dogfoodadvisor.com

Darren2711 02-20-2014 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mydogs (Post 5057642)
I stay away from any food made by Diamond. TOTW is one. Do you have a costco near you I know they Carry food that is priced right.

Ive read about the some stories about Diamond foods..TOTW has been good for my 1 yr old though. Don't have a costco...but do have the major pet retailers...as well as a few smaller stores that sell higher end as well as the quality foods not sold at the large retail stores.

mydogs 02-20-2014 07:39 PM

There's Precise foods sells at smaller boutique pet stores good prices. I feed Fromm and Earthborn Holistics. Alittle pricier. But good food no recalls. I fed ProPlan salmon for awhile they did great on it. No corn or by products in the salmon one.

Darren2711 02-20-2014 08:00 PM

Dogfoodadvisor gives Canidae all life stage a 4 star rating. I've never heard of that brand...any personal experience with that one?

shepherdmom 02-20-2014 08:09 PM

I feed Diamond Naturals to my adult dogs and they do fine. My puppy didn't do well though. Gave him runny poo. Found out the rescue also had problems with runny poo and they had tried two different types of grain free. After his second clear fecal test. I gave up and went with what I know works. I bought Science Diet and boom next day normal poos. Everyone will tell you this is junk food but it works for me.

kr16 02-20-2014 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mydogs (Post 5057642)

Diamond makes lots of those Costco, Bjs and tractor supply foods....

GSDav8r 02-20-2014 09:04 PM

We started Luger on Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy and it also gave him runny poos. He's on Taste of the Wild now and is doing much better.

Darren2711 02-21-2014 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSDav8r (Post 5058466)
We started Luger on Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy and it also gave him runny poos. He's on Taste of the Wild now and is doing much better.

I've read that TOTW puppy is a big high in calcium and phosphorus for GSD pups. Was that a concern for you?