Orijen - - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2014, 09:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Orijen -

Hey guys, I originally wanted to go Raw with my dogs, but I don't feel that I'm educated on the matter to really start it quite yet (in other words I want a better understanding on what/when/and how to feed things raw).

SO instead I think I want to switch to Orijen. From what I've read/understand is that Orijen is relatively as good as you can get if not going raw.

I still have two 30lb bags of Blue buffalo, and on the last bag will start the transition.

Just looking on feed back on the different 'flavors' like the Fish and Red, and how others' dogs did on it?

I tried my first GSD puppy on it at eight weeks and she didn't seem to ever adjust to it so I stopped, but I'm hoping it will be more successful with my male, and her now that she is older with a stronger stomach.
Mocha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2014, 09:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

IT all depends on the dog. A lot do well and others never adjust. Try it and if you adjust, great. If not I have some other suggestions to consider or you could just go to raw.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014, 09:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My pup is 15 weeks old today and I just switched him off of Orijen for financial reasons.

I absolutely loved how he looked and pooped on it, though, and he loved it, too. I had him on the large breed puppy food.

Then my 4 year old ate about 10 pounds of it and I didn't have it budgetted to buy another bag right away. -_-
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014, 10:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

I think quite a few of the problems people have with Orijen comes from over-feeding. There are certainly dogs that just don't do well on it, for whatever reason, but I believe that in many cases it is a simple matter of feeding too much.

Orijen is a high calorie, nutrient dense food, so if you overfeed by even what may seem a small amount it can result in loose stools. The feeding amounts given on the bag are actually a bit high for many dogs, especially if you look at the amounts for a highly active dog. My 2 year old girl, who is about 65-70 lbs., quite high energy and very active only eats about 2 cups a day of any of the formulas. I have been feeding the Adult formula recently simply because it's the least expensive, but she has also done great on the Six Fish and Regional Red. I add various toppers to her meals, but even if I gave her just the kibble I would give her the same amount.

She has been on one formula of Orijen or another (except for the puppy formulas, we never used that one) since she was about 5 months of age and has always done quite well. Even as a puppy, the most I ever had to feed in a day was about 2 3/4 cups.
Ken Clean-Air System is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014, 10:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm happy with the 6 Fish. So far, lol. He's been on it for exactly a year now.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014, 11:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My pup had loose stools on it, but she was not overweight.

It's worth a try though, it's a very high quality kibble, but don't be too scared of raw. You can also buy prepared raw diets to help get you started with raw and then change it out to whole raw as you feel more confident.

I would actually recommend starting raw this way anyway, since it lets your dog's tummy adjust to the raw without having to worry about digesting bones for a few weeks. I found when I first changed to raw, she wasn't digesting bones as well, but now it's no problem.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014, 01:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
My pup is 15 weeks old today and I just switched him off of Orijen for financial reasons.

I absolutely loved how he looked and pooped on it, though, and he loved it, too. I had him on the large breed puppy food.

Then my 4 year old ate about 10 pounds of it and I didn't have it budgetted to buy another bag right away. -_-
This is exactly my problem, I need to budget his food as well and the price difference from Blue to Orijen is going to hurt !

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 02-04-2014, 02:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Clean-Air System View Post
I think quite a few of the problems people have with Orijen comes from over-feeding. There are certainly dogs that just don't do well on it, for whatever reason, but I believe that in many cases it is a simple matter of feeding too much.

Orijen is a high calorie, nutrient dense food, so if you overfeed by even what may seem a small amount it can result in loose stools. The feeding amounts given on the bag are actually a bit high for many dogs, especially if you look at the amounts for a highly active dog. My 2 year old girl, who is about 65-70 lbs., quite high energy and very active only eats about 2 cups a day of any of the formulas. I have been feeding the Adult formula recently simply because it's the least expensive, but she has also done great on the Six Fish and Regional Red. I add various toppers to her meals, but even if I gave her just the kibble I would give her the same amount.

She has been on one formula of Orijen or another (except for the puppy formulas, we never used that one) since she was about 5 months of age and has always done quite well. Even as a puppy, the most I ever had to feed in a day was about 2 3/4 cups.
This was great and extremely helpful. Thank you so much.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
IT all depends on the dog. A lot do well and others never adjust. Try it and if you adjust, great. If not I have some other suggestions to consider or you could just go to raw.
I'll keep you in mind when I try it and let you know!

Old 02-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If you still have two 30lb bags to feed I would freeze most of it to maintain freshness.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.