German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Feeding Our Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/)
-   -   Other options please (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/405274-other-options-please.html)

SummerGSDLover 02-01-2014 08:23 PM

Other options please

I've been feeding our puppy Wellness. He seems to have developed a food allergy (itchy dry skin) that has gradually gotten worse. Is there a dog food that is comparable in price/goodness? Thank you. Looking for real experiences. Or could I just try switching from chicken flavor to lamb? Would that help?

*-*Summer*-*

llombardo 02-01-2014 08:25 PM

What's the weather like by you?

DobbyDad 02-01-2014 08:26 PM

Are you adding salmon oil? With the heater on it dries out the air. Salmon oil helped with my puppy.

Kahrg4 02-01-2014 08:36 PM

Wellness has a separate line of kibble called CORE that my boys were one when the budget allowed. If you're wanting to stay in the same ballpark of price and quality maybe start by looking at ingredients in that particular line of their food if you haven't already.

Otherwise I'm with DobbyDad, my boys get fish oil and coconut oil to help with dry/itchy skin issues.

David Winners 02-01-2014 08:40 PM

IME, it is far more likely to be environmental than food related. Food allergies are FAR less likely than environmental. It could just be the weather combined with the climate control in the house.

dogfaeries 02-01-2014 08:40 PM

Coconut oil apparently has stopped Sage's incessant itchies. I tried eliminating chicken, adding salmon oil, etc. Nothing worked at all. Coconut oil seems to have done the trick.

e.rigby 02-01-2014 08:46 PM

Like the others have mentioned, try supplementing with some type of oil (fish, salmon, coconut, etc) and see if that helps.

My dogs sometimes get dry skin in the winter, I just load them up on salmon oil and it general resolves in a month or so!

doggiedad 02-01-2014 09:01 PM

take your pup to the Vet and get an allergy test.
i don't like the idea of blindly treating an ailment.

give your pup a bath. use a medicated shampoo.

Msmaria 02-01-2014 09:18 PM

It helped with my dogs itchiness, soft stools and gas (horrible smell) to use another flavor. Chicken is one of the main allergies. I went to a limited ingredient food then slowly tried different flavors. Its alot of work. Whats weird is he can eat fresh chicken once in a while with no issues. If you try it and it doesnt work it might be worth a look into environmental or another trigger. It took us about 3 weeks to see a difference. Good luck with your guy

MyHans-someBoy 02-01-2014 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogfaeries (Post 4948410)
Coconut oil apparently has stopped Sage's incessant itchies. I tried eliminating chicken, adding salmon oil, etc. Nothing worked at all. Coconut oil seems to have done the trick.

Same here. Once Hans was on coconut oil for about 2 weeks, he stopped scratching and no longer has a rash on his belly. I call it a treat and he eagerly eats it right off of the spoon. He couldn't tolerate fish oil, so I am thankful that coconut oil works so well.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App