German Shepherds Forum banner

Other options please

2K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  SummerGSDLover 
#1 ·
I've been feeding our puppy Wellness. He seems to have developed a food allergy (itchy dry skin) that has gradually gotten worse. Is there a dog food that is comparable in price/goodness? Thank you. Looking for real experiences. Or could I just try switching from chicken flavor to lamb? Would that help?

*-*Summer*-*

#4 ·
Wellness has a separate line of kibble called CORE that my boys were one when the budget allowed. If you're wanting to stay in the same ballpark of price and quality maybe start by looking at ingredients in that particular line of their food if you haven't already.

Otherwise I'm with DobbyDad, my boys get fish oil and coconut oil to help with dry/itchy skin issues.

#5 ·
IME, it is far more likely to be environmental than food related. Food allergies are FAR less likely than environmental. It could just be the weather combined with the climate control in the house.

#6 ·
Coconut oil apparently has stopped Sage's incessant itchies. I tried eliminating chicken, adding salmon oil, etc. Nothing worked at all. Coconut oil seems to have done the trick.

#7 ·
Like the others have mentioned, try supplementing with some type of oil (fish, salmon, coconut, etc) and see if that helps.

My dogs sometimes get dry skin in the winter, I just load them up on salmon oil and it general resolves in a month or so!

#9 ·
It helped with my dogs itchiness, soft stools and gas (horrible smell) to use another flavor. Chicken is one of the main allergies. I went to a limited ingredient food then slowly tried different flavors. Its alot of work. Whats weird is he can eat fresh chicken once in a while with no issues. If you try it and it doesnt work it might be worth a look into environmental or another trigger. It took us about 3 weeks to see a difference. Good luck with your guy

#11 ·
Sage loves it too. I put a glob of it on her food and it's the first thing she eats. Seriously the dog has stopped scratching. Totally.

Sent from Petguide.com App

#14 ·
The weather here is mostly rain with overcast sky but cold. I turned the thermostat down from 70° to 60° last night and have only seen him scratching once. I think I'm going to keep the temperature down. The heat must be causing the dry skin. Weird.

*-*Summer*-*

#16 ·
4 things you may want to try:

The Honest Kitchen Dehydrated Grain Free Embark:
Embark - Grain Free, High Protein Dog Food | The Honest Kitchen

Krill Oil - some people find krill more helpful than salmon oil for a particular dog:“Krill oil has a unique biomolecular profile that distinguishes it from other fish oils. While EPA and DHA in fish oils comes in the form of triglycerides, the EPA and DHA is already incorporated into phospholipids, which facilitates the passage of the fatty acids through the intestinal wall. This increases the bioavailability of the EPA and DHA and improves absorption and assimilation.” "Krill Oil contains Astaxanthin which is a powerful antioxidant and is also an anti-inflammatory. “Astaxanthin is a carotenoid-type of antioxidant that is even more powerfu than beta-carotene, alpha-tocopherol, lycopene and lutien.” Krill Oil capsules (180 per bottle): 1 bottle - Mercola.com

Digestive Enzymes/ProBiotics combination (to support and heal the gut): The Wholistic Pet

SeaVive: Myself and a few friends have seen amazing results using this product for fungus and allergies for our dogs! My husband and I also take it everyday to keep our immune system up during the winter months! :D SeaVive Information:
IMMUNE SYSTEM MISSION: Prevent disease and infection
Mucous membranes that line body cavities open to the environment, such as those found in the nose and gut, house antibodies called immunoglobulins that ensnare pathogens and potential antigens encountered in daily life. Thus, mucous membranes function as the first step in the mission of the immune system to prevent disease and infection.
Toxic invaders that sneak by the mucosal barrier are met by white blood cells called macrophages, which by a process called phagocytosis literally digest and destroy invaders in the blood. Thus, macrophages become the body's inside line of defense responsible for seeking and indiscriminately destroying viruses, parasites, fungi, and bacteria.
Two new supplements aid and assist these defenses against disease and infection. They are Colostrum, which supplies critical immunoglobulins to block invaders at the level of the mucosal barrier, and Beta glucan, which stimulates the action of the macrophages to phagocytize invaders in the blood stream. A third supplement Seacure® aids the immune system indirectly by correcting pathogenic bowel permeability to prevent hazards from passing through the gut membrane to infect internal organs. Finally, Vitamin C is well recognized for its immune-supportive properties. All four of these components are combined to produce the one-of-a-kind immune-booster ... SeaVive®. About SeaVive

Quote: SeaVire® is a 100% natural, pre-digested fish protein concentrate combined with Colostrum 80/40 which is critical for good immune function. This combination is the only product on the market like it in the world. It is now available in the nutraceutical industry today. SeaVive® naturally contains a total of 18 amino acids including the 11 essential amino acids. Essential amino acids are amino acids that cannot be synthesized by the dog/cat's body and must be supplied to the body in their daily diet. But when a system is compromised due to disease or a debilitating condition SeaVive is the ideal supplement because of the benefits of a quickly absorbed and fully assimilated protein source- one of which is fast repair and recovery from illness, surgery, and wound healing.

Because SeaVive® is already pre-digested it is 100% usable by the body, and it does not require effort on the part of the dog's digestive system to process the protein. This makes it readily available for nourishment, boosting immune function and accelerated healing. This product is perfect for fading puppy syndrome, the systemic yeast removal detoxification process, dog's whose systems are depleted from IBD, IBS, Coccidia and Giardia. It is a terrific supplement for dog's with allergies due to its immune boosting properties and an answer to nourishment for the stages of early renal failure because it's a protein the body does not have to process, so it is usable and not hard on the compromised kidneys.

During the manufacturing process of SeaVive they employ a proprietary technology that permits them to, naturally, breakdown the fresh raw material, Pacific Whiting (a member of the Cod family) making SeaVive
almost 100% absorbable and assimilated by the body.

Due to this technological process, the body does not have to further digest SeaVive® which makes it very easy on the body, permitting the naturally occurring minerals, nutrients, amino acids and peptides of the fish to be utilized immediately assisting the body with the natural healing process.
Some Examples of Use:
Detoxification During Yeast Removal
Boosting Immune Function
Allergies
IBD and IBS
Digestive Issues
Malabsorption Issues
Giardia
Coccidia
Parasites
Malnutrition
Rescue & Repair
Lactating Bitches
Fading Puppy Syndrome
Wound Healing - Topically
Repair After Surgery
Wound Healing - Internally
HOD (when off feed)
Nourishment Post Surgery
Renal Failure

About SeaVive
Or here: SeaVive 90 Capsules by Proper Nutrition

Always add new foods or supplements slowly.

Hope your baby finds some relief!
Moms:)

#17 ·
I changed his food from Wellness Puppy with chicken (orange bag) to Wellness with Lamb (adult large breed core, green bag) and his itchiness has gotten so much better. Amazing. Allergic to chicken? I changed his treats also to peanut butter flavored ones with beef instead of the chicken I was using also and even his coat looks shinier! Yay!

*-*Summer*-*

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.