German Shepherds Forum banner

Protein to high

3K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  Jackthelad 
#1 ·
My nearly 12 month old GSD has been through a few different dry foods, as he is fussy and won't eat most. But I have found the perfect food now, he loves it but only one problem, the protein is 27%. And my jack is now hyper and can't keep still. I exersize him for 3 hours a day plus play in the garden with toys and stuff. I was hoping for advice on, can I put him on the adult food now instead of the high protein puppy food, just to calm him down. He can't relax. I can always just up his calcium while he is still growing. What do you think. ????

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#3 ·
He's not hyper because of protein. If it's food related, it's the carbs in his food that's causing all the extra energy. Protein has nothing to do with it.

If I were to guess, it probably has nothing to do with his diet at all though. Some dogs are just hyperactive and just don't have "off buttons".

#4 ·
What is the nutritional analysis and content of what you are feeding. I would NOT add calcium. That can cause its own problems. Agree with the others. He could just be a live wire.

#6 ·
Thanks all for your help.
Maybe it's me that should just get on the red bull to keep up with him lol. He has me up in the night at about 3am. And then starts again about 5.30/ 6am for a walk. And won't stop being naughty and barking till he gets what he wants. This behaviour only started when I put him on this new food. Never mind I'll just have to try and keep up with him.

#10 ·
I think some of it may be a training issue. The reason he barks until he gets his way is ... he gets his way if he continues to bark. I would work on not giving into his demands and teach him some impulse control. Good mental exercise.

#11 ·
didn't say pumpkin , pumpkin seed , grind it fine .
add some fish oil for omega 3 .
don't accommodate this "He has me up in the night at about 3am. And then starts again about 5.30/ 6am for a walk. And won't stop being naughty and barking till he gets what he wants. "
That is your training issue. This will wear thin quickly and then you will need more magnesium in your diet Natural Calm: The Anti Stress Drink lol. The dog becomes a nuisance and all is out of kilter.

#18 ·
I feel for you. I have the exact same situation and they bark at the worst moments sometimes. If you're inside during a cold spell, work simple exercises like sit/stand/platz in close proximity to you and totally engage your dog. During the week that is an after dinner routine in my house. It keeps him quiet because after a while he settles in and chews the kong we've been playing with.

Since barking is also a trigger for my son I do not reward a bark unless I asked for it. Over time he realized when he is in the house he's not going to get anywhere doing that.

Yes carmspack.
Your absolutely right. It is me being to soft with him and giving in to him when he barks. It's because I don't want him to wake up my son who is blind disabled & special needs. He has trouble getting to sleep. So it is my fault totally.

#13 ·
At just 1 year, he might be going through a bit of a bratty stage too... Extra training will help get you through it. Our pup used to come get me at 6am every day or earlier, after I started telling him to "go lay down" and ignored him, he stopped. We are also switching to raw from kibble and our pup's energy level hasn't changed... I feel like if anything would do it, that would be it :)

#19 ·
Thanks so much Carmspack, for finding all that info for me. I tried to google raw food but wasn't really getting anywhere. I'll try anything to make him calmer and more relaxed and happy. As the way he is can't be all fun for him, and it's running me into the ground, trying to keep him occupied. I'll keep you informed on how he's doing. Thanks again.

#20 ·
Just a quick update, I fed jack 2x chicken drumsticks today just to start him off, the 1st one he carried it round for a bit, then lay down licking it for ages, before eventually eating it. 3 mins later I gave him a second one, and that was devoured in seconds. I'll check how he is in the morning, bowel wise and slowly introduce more minced turkey and offal during the rest of the week if all ok.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.