German Shepherds Forum banner

Dog Myth on Omnivores or Carnivores

11K views 90 replies 40 participants last post by  Kaimeju 
#1 ·
My sister was the first to go vegan and I turned vegan for animal cruelty reasons. Then my sister wanted to make my dogs vegan. We had an argument and she went too extreme and turned violent, even threatened to hurt me. Riley my Labradoodle became vegan anyways for non-violence food. He has been a vegan dog since June and does fine with the diet. Talk later

#83 ·
Yes, but even banning does not delete their account. It just bans them from posting. :)

#85 ·
I can't stand seeing cut up vegetables and promotions including plant like substances being pushed to feed your dog. What part of huge canines and none grinding teeth/jaw do people not understand? Nature has provided every being everything it needs to survive and their bodies act accordingly. Just by looking at the structure/makeup of an animal you can tell what their function/purpose is for. Why do we have to mess that up? Its healthier to go the way nature intended! IMO

#87 ·
Good point, but by that logic, all humans should be vegetarians since we don't have large gripping canines and tearing carnassials.

Many people have used this fact to espouse vegetarianism as our "natural" diet, but it was discovered fairly recently that chimpanzees, with teeth structure similar to ours, do hunt, kill and eat other animals.

Studies have also suggested that humans took a huge jump in brain size when cooked animal protein was added to the diet.

The fact is, the digestive tract can evolve much quicker than the teeth. Take Pandas, for example. They have big canines and you would expect them to be meat eaters, but their diet is primarily bamboo.

I agree that dogs need animal protein to be in prime condition, but they can make use of plant material for nutrients and energy and do not require animal protein the way cats do. You have to look at more than just teeth.

#86 ·
I can't stand seeing cut up vegetables and promotions including plant like substances being pushed to feed your dog. What part of huge canines and none grinding teeth/jaw do people not understand? Nature has provided every being everything it needs to survive and their bodies act accordingly. Just by looking at the structure/makeup of an animal you can tell what their function/purpose is for
Dogs have been fed table scraps for centuries. It is scientifically proven that dogs have enzymes in their stomachs to digest starches. This shows that they have adapted to having vegetables in their diet.

Dogs do like cooked potatoes and other cooked vegetables and some like raw veg like carrots etc. Fact is there is some nutritional value in vegetables and vegetarian foods. There is also a lot of fiber for digestion.

I bring my dogs into nature every day and see them eating grass and seaweed and cow dung. They get their nutrients from nature. Why do they eat that stuff sometimes? It certainly isn't bad for them.

I feed raw meat/kibble 50/50 with cooked veg or rice occasionally. I feel that is a balanced diet.

Look at all kibble out there. It is all part grain/veg filler.

#88 ·
Dogs are classified by the Merck Veterinary Manual as omnivores (like bears and like pigs and like us). Not as herbivores (like most rodents, cattle, deer, goats). Not as carnivores (like cats, and birds of prey).

We do know the design though of their digestive tract. The fact that they do not chew food. The fact that they do not produce salivary amylase and do better with kibble if digestive enzymes are added. The fact they don't face the same artherosclerosis issues as do we on a high fat diet and their are plenty of excercise studies showing more endurance and better homeostasis on a high fat high protein diet.. We do know the stomach pH is much more acidic than our own. We do know domestic canines have more adaptation to eating grains than do wild canids but there is overlap.

Yes a dog can survive on a grain/vegetable based diet. It is simply not optimal.

#89 ·
I started posting on forums when I was 13 and I was *definitely* crazy kooky bonkers at that age. I can't believe the kinds of utterly ridiculous things I said. You all would laugh yourselves sick if you knew. OP may lack the self-control to stop posting if the underlying reason is self-validation. It can be addicting. Although talking about inner psychological states on the Internet is risky business...

@jocoyn, do you have citations or partial citations for those exercise studies? I'm trying to make a bibliography on diet research right now.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#90 ·
No-talking from memory but they were peer reviewed articles; some on sled dogs others on racing greyhounds. I think Hills did some of them. Mind you, they did a lot of foundational research on nutrition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.