German Shepherds Forum banner

Dog Myth on Omnivores or Carnivores

11K views 90 replies 40 participants last post by  Kaimeju 
#1 ·
My sister was the first to go vegan and I turned vegan for animal cruelty reasons. Then my sister wanted to make my dogs vegan. We had an argument and she went too extreme and turned violent, even threatened to hurt me. Riley my Labradoodle became vegan anyways for non-violence food. He has been a vegan dog since June and does fine with the diet. Talk later

#32 ·
I can't live without a good steak and burger:)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
@My5dogs

When I past by Factory Farms on the road I smell blood. The air is stinky with smog across the sky of dark blood. Can't breathe at all with poisnosness blood scent through the air. I am scared too death seeing in front of my eyes persons waiting in line for death. Want to immediately hug my dog, two German shepherds, those huskies, dog park dogs, and tell them how much I appreciate them being alive. If I say a comparison may sound too extreme to the majority will not understand. Tears roll down. Want to immediately hug my dog, two German shepherds, those huskies, dog park dogs, and tell them how much I appreciate them being alive. Tell them that I will protect them with my very life. Will someday make a difference in the world for them. That is because I am scared horrified passing by knowing what is going on. Why eat a cow, pig, chicken and not a dog? Would you be surprise if the hamburger was a dog? You know Abraham Lincoln and Martin Luther King Jr would've done something about animal rights if they weren't shot. So they left somebody else to finish their left over work. That is ME!

#34 · (Edited)
We sometimes have people come on the forum from India; many who do not eat meat for religious reasons and are masters of a human vegetarian diet (though I think not as often vegan). After health and growth problems with their dogs, most resort to raising their dogs on a meat based diet and not grudgingly, but because it is the nature of the dog and they have to take extra measures to find such a diet over there.

I find the analysis that Lincoln and MLK would move on to animal rights somewhat disturbing and unsupported by known fact. The closest I could find is MLK's wife became a vegetarian in 1995, well after his death. Please do not try to muddy their legacy and downplay it as incomplete.

Another concern I have is the violence you have reported in dreams of fighting side by side with dogs, dogs killing to save your life and vice versa, the comment on your sister etc. I will respect a true pacifist who will die for their cause but not one who claims to be nonviolent towards all life (many Buddhists are that way) then would kill/fight for that privilege.

I have concerns with factory farming as I feel it is not natural or good for the animals or the meat they produce and can be very cruel. My desire is to be situated to feed more game animals, we already do eat grass fed beef and dairy, and pasture raised chicken. But, as mentioned, many animals die as the result of factory farming of land. You have no cut off as to what is and is not "people" and it appears do not care to address that.

Have you ever watched a cat kill a mouse? A hawk take a rabbit? How do you reconcile the order of nature? And there are vegetarian choices for pets! Horses, goats, rabbits. Seriously, Goats are an absolute hoot. Pigs-reputed to be more intelligent than dogs and true omninvores who *can* thrive on a vegetarian diet (though they most assuredly will eat meat with gusto).

#36 ·
If you ever talk with heroes and great people. Most of them don't seem to have entertained visions of their own greatness. Lobobear, you intent to be the savior of animals, and the next dog whisperer, and have great visions and dreams of battles with dogs as your partners. I doubt Lincoln and MLK stood in front of a mirror wondering about how great they were. Same with Ghandi and other visionaries. I think to most people with vision, such things don't really matter.

How about just coming to grips with your own values, quietly exploring them, and humbly coming to whatever way of life matches your vision.

#39 ·
Wondering if the injustices of our homeless (many of them veterans who fought and sacrificed for Lobobear's right to crow on Internet forums, saying whatever they please) freezing and starving out in the streets invoke the same torrent of emotions, as well?
As for the veganism, I will respect to my death your right to pursue your ideals, but I cannot be personally convinced that it is (from a biological standpoint) an ideal and appropriate diet for either humans or dogs. I spend about an hour or so out of my work week explaining to vegans who are considering converting their dogs or cats to vegan diets why they would be doing their pet a disservice by doing so. And it makes me feel bad to tell them basically that their lifestyle may or will be harmful to their animal, it doesn't make me feel bad enough to forsake what I feel, know and have personally experienced to spare some feelings at the expense of that dog or cat.

#43 ·
Okay that is too extreme. All of you think you know everything, more of a know-it-all than any teen, you put me down and you are adults. You think you are adults give you the right to power over me and discriminate me? Shame many of do need help. You put me down because my philosophy is different I think different. I am not at all putting down your views you are putting down mine. Stop ganging up on me. Ugh you people are really disturbing. You know what someone just terminate my account these people are so disturbing. And no firearms is way too extreme I am against violence. Those suffering in factory farms are suffering worse than slave labor cows, pigs, chickens, and others are dying for crying out loud.

#45 ·
Lobobear, you are fortunate you do not use your real name and this nonsense won't follow you around later. Just walk away if you want to leave; you know these posts you are making incite this kind of discussion. Ask the admin to remove your email address as directed and nobody will be the wiser.

#46 ·
I agree with Nancy, if you don't want to hear criticisms STOP posting here, you are just aggravating your own situation.

#47 ·
Lobobear, you're obviously a kid with a lot of passion and energy. Direct it in a positive way, and maybe you could make a difference for the better. Keep going in the direction you are leaning, and you'll end up in jail (or worse). Your anti-establishment views are nothing new... pretty much every teenager has them at some point. Stay in school, keep reading, study biology and animal behavior (preferably science-based), and keep your nose clean. Try not to profess things as fact when they are simply your opinion, stay humble, and accept that you don't know it all just yet. You could go far with your passion, but it must be tempered with reality, or you will be labeled as a "kook" and only other kooks will listen to you.

#60 ·
Lobobear, you're obviously a kid with a lot of passion and energy. Direct it in a positive way, and maybe you could make a difference for the better.... Try not to profess things as fact when they are simply your opinion, stay humble, and accept that you don't know it all just yet. You could go far with your passion, but it must be tempered with reality...
Excellent post Freestep.

OP, many of us are concerned about factory farming practices. Below is a link with a list of tangible and practical things you can do to get involved.

Note, the first step is to learn more about the issue - look at the science, research studies, the regulatory environment, international comparisons, etc... not just the stories. I would also suggest you connect with people in your community who are engaged in some of the activities listed.

10 Ways You Can Fight Factory Farms | ASPCA

#48 ·
Freestep excellent post, but I'm thinking it will go in one ear and out the other..:(

#50 ·
Yes, probably. I was the same way as a teenager. I wouldn't listen to what my elders told me, I figured there was no way they could "understand"... that my experience was so different and unique that no one could possibly relate.

I did remember what I was told, though. Years later in thinking back, I realize some of those elders were spot-on, and I could have saved myself a lot of trouble if I had listened and heeded their advice. But everyone learns their lessons differently, I was one who simply had to learn the hard way--through my own experience. Thankfully, I did not get into too much trouble along the way, but I took some hard knocks that I don't wish on anyone.

#54 ·
I think it is adjusting to an itnernet world. Many of us grew up with no internet and direct consequences for your actions and words. Now everything is anonymous and there are no real consequences. Sure you can get banned or chastised but, really?

I am very glad my grandaughters' time on the internet is severely limited by my own kids and they don't have phones yet, even though one is a tween.

#55 · (Edited)
I'm not the grammar police, but I can see quite a few errors. All I can say is that I'm very very relieved that when I was this guy's age, there was no internet, lol. I agree 100% with Freestep. I was like this too - very passionate, and oh so unique in my thinking. What a wake-up call I got. Live and learn.

ETA: I know his posts can be aggravating, but he's much safer here - he could be getting into some very radical trouble elsewhere. He's just the type they're looking for. Let's cut him some slack.

#58 ·
People think I am crazy, which I am, so maybe I can try to connect with Lobobear. :crazy:

I am a ninja as well, I have mad skills with a katana and in my spare time I practice my ninjitsu.

#64 ·
:headbang::headbang::headbang::whistle::whistle:

Off topic:

Maybe it's just me, but has any one considered that Lobobear is a bullied/brainwashed kid. Lobobear has made several references to a sister that seems to tell him what to think and how to think it. There has been mention of violence in the home toward him by his sister.
Calling names and ridicule may be what this kid lives with everyday.

Do I think Lobobear needs help? I do. The question remains: Is it for us, not knowing him in the real world, to say what kind or type of help that is?
I think not.

I do think, however, while this is an open forum, we don't have to keep indulging him with this type of non productive banter. We are mostly adults here and it doesn't bode well for adults to be name calling and ridiculing a child in the name of educating him.

Hopefully common sense will eventually prevail.

Just my 2 cents

#68 ·
Isn't Lobo 12 or 14? It's entirely possible that there could be some mental health issues at work here, or at the very least, a lot of living and learning left to do.

Great post Freestyle and LifeofRiley, thanks for posting those links.

Lobo, I think your heart is in the right place, but you need some guidance. It's great that you are so passionate, but I think as Freestyle said, you need to balance that with reality and science.

I think most agree about the factory farming. But you can help change that. Vote with your feet. Support locally raised meat farmers, who's animals live free range and happy lives.

Your dog is not a vegetarian. I think that by feeding them this way, you are depriving them of a species appropriate diet, and I think it's a form of negligence. If you can't stand the thought of your pet eating meat, then I think you should consider owning pets that are vegetarian by nature, and there are a lot to choose from! :)

Nature is both beautiful and brutal. Nobody likes to see an animal lose its life, but it's all part of the circle of life, and you have to appreciate these animals for what they are. I have a dog, I also have horses. I wouldn't dream of trying to feed my horses a lump of meat for their supper, it would be totally inappropriate to their dietary needs, but then I would also not feed a dog a vegetarian diet for the same reasons. We can't all be vegetarians and we can't all be carnivores. There is a balance in nature, it's all about balance. :)

#73 ·
I don't understand why people keep getting upset with OP, it's like the Westboro Baptist Church...you will NEVER be able to reason with them, so the best thing is to ignore them and wait for them to implode on their own. If everyone would just stop posting on the multiple threads he creates, everything would stop.

That being said, is it just me or is this 100% de ja vu. Didn't we have this exact same discussion about carnivores, cat's dying from vegan diets, etc...last time OP was active.

#74 ·
I'll drop one thought and leave it there, because I really don't see much point in this discussion, personally.

But the one thought... it would be nice if people would stop the mental illness shaming. "Off his meds" type comments are really beneath rational adults who know, or should know, that mental illness is not a character flaw but a disease.

So maybe knock that stuff off and continue OT?

TIA from the mother of a son with severe PTSD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.