Should I Switch?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2014, 06:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Should I Switch??

Hi all,

On the second week of living with my now 10 week old boy Tiberius. He has been a great puppy so far and is lively (bitey ) and smart. The breeder I got him from had him on Sportmix Energy plus. Unfortunately, I didn't get any along with him and wanted to make sure I had food readily available for him.

I ended up getting him grain free Blue Freedom. He enjoyed eating it, but has had gas and loose stool all throughout the bag. It was a small bag though, so I mixed in a small amount of Blue Wilderness Puppy (Chicken) under the assumption that a smaller amount of more protein-rich kibble would agree with him.

He had his first vet checkup on the 1st and his stool sample came back negative. He is still having the squirts.

I have read plenty of threads here naming Blue Wilderness (And even chicken flavor specifically) as the culprit. I'm not positive, but I believe he is also giving off a tiny amount of dandruff and likes biting his hindquarters. I think he may be kind of itchy and dried out. I have been combing him regularly and keeping him smooth, but he still likes to nibble his quarters.

I am wanting to switch him to a higher quality kibble that will firm him up and get him more regular. I feel terrible as I think he has been in discomfort with his gas and upset tummy. Is it possible this is being caused by overfeeding? I have reduced his 3 meals a day from 1 cup to 2/3 to attempt to weed that out as a cause.

He had some stress from a 4 hour car ride home from the breeder and meeting a bunch of relatives over Christmas/New Years, but he is getting quite comfortable with his schedule.

I have been looking at other higher quality options before switching him to raw when he is old enough. I have been looking at Acana Pacifica and Orijen Large Breed Puppy. Is there a good possibility this switch will help him out?

Sorry for the narrative. Thanks for any additional advice!
Corvus Laeus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2014, 07:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
likes biting his hindquarters. I think he may be kind of itchy and dried out
That is allergy. Any puppy would gobble whatever you feed him. GSD is a breed must be raised on raw - that is the only way to raise a healthy dog. And better - organic. He needs yogurts, cottage cheese, fish, raw chicken, raw rabbit and beef mince 100 gramms twice a week - all necessary vitamins and minerals the carnivour gets from fresh raw meat. Your dog's young organism would struggle until he's really sick at 7-9 months, than the system will fail. Would you feed your baby dry bisquits as well ? Stop experimenting.

Last edited by David Taggart; 01-03-2014 at 07:15 PM.
David Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 07:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Taggart View Post
Your dog's young organism would struggle until he's really sick at 7-9 months, than the system will fail. Would you feed your baby dry bisquits as well ? Stop experimenting.
I'm unsure of what you're implying...that the entire dry dog food industry is wrong for even recommending a kibble for German Shepherds? There seem to be plenty of stories of, what I would consider, healthy pups through to adulthood on food other than what you have listed. And by "experimenting" do you mean me putting him on his first consistent food since I got him and seeking advice for the next?
Old 01-03-2014, 07:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

High quality kibble or raw is best. Not all dogs do well on all high quality foods. IE: My dog might do great on Orijen and yours may not. Sometimes it takes trial and error to find the "best" food for you individual dog. If Blue brand as a whole is not keeping your pup at his best be all means change his food (slowly if possible).

That said, your pup doesn't need to be a certain age to be raw fed. Many breeders wean their pups to raw. If raw is something you want to do in the future, why not read up, educate and do it now.

Either way, you will gets lots of opinions on diet here. Hope your pup is feeling better soon and Best of Luck!
Springbrz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 08:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would try a different food. I have had luck with Fromm LBP. Make sure he doesn't get dehydrated. Maybe ask the vet for some flagyl. Can add a teaspoon of plain pure pumpkin to help firm him up.
My5dogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 08:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus Laeus View Post
I'm unsure of what you're implying...that the entire dry dog food industry is wrong for even recommending a kibble for German Shepherds? There seem to be plenty of stories of, what I would consider, healthy pups through to adulthood on food other than what you have listed. And by "experimenting" do you mean me putting him on his first consistent food since I got him and seeking advice for the next?
Read through some of David's posting history and then see how much credence you want to give his opinion.
TexasCrane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 08:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCrane View Post
Read through some of David's posting history and then see how much credence you want to give his opinion.
Just wanted to make sure I understood what he was implying...that NOT feeding my dog raw will spell death before adolescence? Geez...

Quote:
Originally Posted by My5dogs View Post
I would try a different food. I have had luck with Fromm LBP. Make sure he doesn't get dehydrated. Maybe ask the vet for some flagyl. Can add a teaspoon of plain pure pumpkin to help firm him up.
Thank you, I'll look into Fromm. He has been getting the water quite a bit, but have made sure it is readily available. Filtered water only and no rain water when we're outside. I did hear about pumpkin and will give that a shot. Thanks

I will be looking into feeding raw immediately though and working him into it. I was under the incorrect impression that pooches had to be older to handle the diet. Makes sense that puppies would be able to handle it as well as that is how it would be in the wild.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

My husband and I have debated on raw vs. high quality hard foods. We got our GSD about 4 weeks ago. He is now 9 weeks old. Our breeder recommended Diamond. As soon as we got him we switched him to Blue Buffalo Puppy food. Since he was weened off so early (5 weeks old) we mixed in Blue Buffalo soft food with the hard. Now he is completely on the hard food. He does great with it. His stool has hardened up compared to what it was and doesn't have any issues with his stomach(his was really runny). Back to the raw food debate. We took Huck to the Vet about two weeks ago and I asked the Vet what she recommended. She said of course, raw food is good, but Blue Buffalo was good also. She said that raw doesn't have a some of the crucial vitamins that high quality hard food does. She said that we would have to give him additional supplements for hips, etc. Obviously, others may argue but for the time being that's what we are doing.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 09:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
My husband and I have debated on raw vs. high quality hard foods. We got our GSD about 4 weeks ago. He is now 9 weeks old. Our breeder recommended Diamond. As soon as we got him we switched him to Blue Buffalo Puppy food. Since he was weened off so early (5 weeks old) we mixed in Blue Buffalo soft food with the hard. Now he is completely on the hard food. He does great with it. His stool has hardened up compared to what it was and doesn't have any issues with his stomach(his was really runny). Back to the raw food debate. We took Huck to the Vet about two weeks ago and I asked the Vet what she recommended. She said of course, raw food is good, but Blue Buffalo was good also. She said that raw doesn't have a some of the crucial vitamins that high quality hard food does. She said that we would have to give him additional supplements for hips, etc. Obviously, others may argue but for the time being that's what we are doing.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Thanks for the feedback. I was under the impression that Blue was a decent kibble and was recommended Wilderness at the store. Took a quick read and noted that it was grain free. I'm wondering how much of it has been caused by stress and the hard switch from what he was raised on previously. He has had stool of varying consistency (some a quasi firm, but many pudding-like, and some were more explosive diarrhea). I feel as though some of the initial problems may have been set on by my slight over-feeding. I've read that many don't follow the guidelines on the package.

I think I will switch to raw, but will do it gradually as to not shock his system once again...
Old 01-03-2014, 09:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Hi Corvus!
There are different ways to feed raw. If you don't have the space, the following 2 ways avoid having to purchase a freezer to hold a lot of individual components such as organs, raw meaty bones and muscle meat, etc.

Partial Raw: The Honest Kitchen Dehydrated "Preference". HK is the ONLY food that is 100% Human Grade, 100% prepared in a Human Grade manufacturing plant, and the ONLY pet food on the USA market that the FDA will legally allow the words "HUMAN GRADE" to be used on packaging and advertising. "Preference" is mixed with your own purchased ground meat to make a complete balanced diet which covers "All Life Stages". All Natural Dog Food - Dehydrated Pet Food | The Honest Kitchen Ingredients: Dehydrated sweet potatoes, organic alfalfa, cabbage, organic coconut, apples, spinach, pumpkin, bananas, celery, organic kelp, honey, tricalcium phosphate, choline chloride, zinc amino acid chelate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, potassium iodide, potassium chloride, iron amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate.

Raw Meat with added mix: See Spot Live Longer™ Homemade Dinner Mixes blended with fresh lean meats (lightly cooked or raw) make the most nutritious and delicious meals you can serve your dogs.
It's easy. Just add 2 tablespoons (4 for puppies) of our special mix to one pound of fresh beef, chicken, turkey, or lamb, and add a can of sardines or fish oils weekly.
When mixed according to directions, See Spot Live Longer™ Homemade Dinner Mixes are formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for adults and for all life stages.Healthy Dog Food Dinner Mixes

Let me know if you need any more info.

Good luck!

Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.