German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Feeding Our Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/)
-   -   8.5 month puppy hungry all the time (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/388146-8-5-month-puppy-hungry-all-time.html)

rena 12-29-2013 12:23 PM

8.5 month puppy hungry all the time

I keep feeding her over and over and over and she keeps wanting food.
I feed her treats too. She's not fat. I have not weighed her mind you but I know what fluffy would look like. She is very energetic. Im wanting to know if this may be a growth spurt?:confused:

Lakl 12-29-2013 12:53 PM

DO NOT feed her based on her wants. Some dogs will eat all day every day if you let them! Start by feeding her only at certain times with the same amount at each feeding and monitor her weight over time. If she is losing, then up the amount. If she is gaining, then lessen it. I feed mine once in the morning and once in the evening. That's it! Treats are fine as long as you aren't over doing it.

Also, what are you feeding and how much?

Momto2GSDs 12-29-2013 01:20 PM

Her body may not be assimilating whatever you are feeding her, leaving her hunger pangs.
So yes please tell us what you are feeding and how much. Also the name of her treats.

Has she had a stool check or been wormed lately?
Those little bugger's can eat up everything instead of it going to her for nutrition!

Moms:)

Neko 12-29-2013 01:34 PM

Mine has a crazy food drive and can't stop eating ever, no health issues, just a growing boy and almost a year. Some dogs just like food....

doggiedad 12-29-2013 01:38 PM

what are you feeding your dog? how much are you feeding?
she may have you trained to feed her whenever she ask.

GSDAlphaMom 12-29-2013 04:48 PM

Have her checked for tape worms.

Neko 12-30-2013 09:17 AM

We talked to the vet about ours and not every dog hates their food or has low appetite. That's why some dogs are fed all their life without the dish just sitting out all day. If we leave the bag open, he will eat till he passes out. Talked to actually 2 breeders that I know and both mentioned that they have a few dogs crazy for food that act like they never have eaten. I honestly don't think its a bad thing, allot worse when you can't get your dog to eat anything!

rena 01-02-2014 08:39 PM

Sorry for the delay in response. I feed her simply nourish high protein grain free and mix it with lean cuts canned. I never give my dogs just dry. For treats I give duck treats and pigs ears. I'm trying to figure out how to weigh her so I know she's not underweight

Galathiel 01-03-2014 09:51 AM

You can go by her body condition rather than weight. A number really doesn't have any significance as 'ideal' is different for every dog. Are her ribs showing? Or does she have a bit of padding? Does she have a waist or no?

My boy has major food drive. He will eat anytime. He is super excited to get a treat after just finishing up his meal. He has a nice waist, ribs felt but not easily seen unless running and playing or stretching. I feed him according to his body condition, not his weight. I take him in once a month or so to get weighed right now (and so he won't forget the vet). He gets between 2 and 2 1/2 cups of food three times a day. I feed Fromm Gold LBP. He's 9 months old today!

MaggieRoseLee 01-03-2014 09:55 AM

I'm with Galathiel, I LOOK at my dogs to figure out their ideal weight. And depending on the time of year and their activity (and amount of training and treats used) I adjust their meal amounts during the year.

I use the amount recommended on the bag of food as a starting point (it's usually too much) and then look at my dog to refine that amount. I've had dogs that will eat until they vomit then eat somemore, and other dogs I have are picky and I have trouble getting them to finish their meal. So what my dogs WANT to eat is hardly a barometer of what the SHOULD be eating...

Good luck!