Water immediately after feeding - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Water immediately after feeding

Hello,

I was told by someone that for my GSD pup (8.5 months old) I should not give him any water for about 1 hour after feeding him.

I was told this by my trainer who seems to specialize with GSD's and Belgian Mal's and while I have been taking his advice I have not been able to find anyone else to confirm this.

He just told me GSD's have picky digestive tracts and they need it while other dogs may not.

has anyone else practice this or heard it before?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!
digink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

Some say that is to help prevent bloat. Put a piece of your dog's kibble in a bowl of water for a few minutes- maybe 10 minutes. How much did it swell? Now imagine the usual amount of dry kibble you feed your dog, in his stomach then adding water. Different brands and grades of food will differ in size. I work around that by adding a bit of water to the food a few minutes before giving to my 2 hooligans.

As far as I know this isn't a proven method, but after doing the same experiment and seeing how much the pieces increased in size, it does make sense.
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thats crap if you feed dry food your then leaving g it to expand in the stomach it's not advisable to feed any gsd completely dry food I always semi soak so it is partially swelled that way they don't get into trouble and end up with torsion and always make sure there's a plenty of water if not allowed water for an hour then what happens is dry food swells in stomach from whatever fluid ,so in there then it impacts to a solid lump then when you finally give water it expand more then produces gas build up then get torsion always partially soak food then when ready to feed add little bit more water but warm or cold don't matter so they have like a gravy mixture and an instant supply water as well if fed partially soaked then when they drink water the food won't expand much more and less chance torsion but personally I went over to raw feeding the you don't get that issue at all

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
sarah1366 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dainerra

It had nothing to do with how much it expands. Some brands contain citric acid and when mixed with water will release gas. That gas could contribute to bloat.
Drop a kibble into water and watch to see if it fizzes or bubbles. If it doesn't, then there is nothing to worry about.
Excessive water drinking when over-heated or after strenuous exercise may also contribute to a risk of bloat.

Dainerra is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

My dog has access to water at all times unless she is in her crate. I don't base it on when she eats whatsoever.
MrsFergione is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 10:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainerra View Post
It had nothing to do with how much it expands. Some brands contain citric acid and when mixed with water will release gas. That gas could contribute to bloat.
Drop a kibble into water and watch to see if it fizzes or bubbles. If it doesn't, then there is nothing to worry about.
Excessive water drinking when over-heated or after strenuous exercise may also contribute to a risk of bloat.

Thanks. That makes even more sense.
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I always soak my dog food for 30 minutes before I feed it. I think it digests better.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Do an internet search. I read somewhere about a one cup expansion test. Has to do with testing a cup of food in a cup of water over a certain time frame. I can't remember where I read it.
My dogs have access to water 100% of the time. Regardless of feeding times.
RiverDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.