German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Feeding Our Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/)
-   -   Getting my puppy to gain weight (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/377489-getting-my-puppy-gain-weight.html)

Tide vom Nobles 12-07-2013 10:12 AM

Getting my puppy to gain weight

I have a 4 month old GSD Tide that is not gaining weight!He is 42lbs at his 4 month vet appointment and that is underweight they said. He eats three times a day and gets cottage cheese in his food for calcium. I am wondering what I can do to get him to gain weight! The breeder and the vet have said he is under weight and we feed him but it isn't showing on him at alll. What can I do to get him to gain weight?

GSDlover143 12-07-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tide vom Nobles (Post 4629513)
I have a 4 month old GSD Tide that is not gaining weight!He is 42lbs at his 4 month vet appointment and that is underweight they said. He eats three times a day and gets cottage cheese in his food for calcium. I am wondering what I can do to get him to gain weight! The breeder and the vet have said he is under weight and we feed him but it isn't showing on him at alll. What can I do to get him to gain weight?

Actually isn't 42 pounds normal for a 4 month old????

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

GSDlover143 12-07-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Never force a dog to gain weight. Its not good to pack on pounds fast cause it can cause problems later. If he isn't bones and you can't see or feel ribs protruding out then he's fine.

Tide vom Nobles 12-07-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSDlover143 (Post 4629537)
Never force a dog to gain weight. Its not good to pack on pounds fast cause it can cause problems later. If he isn't bones and you can't see or feel ribs protruding out then he's fine.

I can though.I just wanted to make sure I am not doing something wrong with him because my other GSD eats fine. His spine you can feel the individual bones and he vet said to up his food, but he isn't eating it.

GSDlover143 12-07-2013 10:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Your vet must think GSDs are supposed to be monsters and he is wrong. Post some pics please?

Tide vom Nobles 12-07-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSDlover143 (Post 4629529)
Actually isn't 42 pounds normal for a 4 month old????

The breeder and the vet said he should be more like 46 or so but the fact we can feel the indiviual bones on his spine is what concerns them. I know I have to teach a puppy to eat instead of getting distracted.

GSDlover143 12-07-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tide vom Nobles (Post 4629553)
I can though.I just wanted to make sure I am not doing something wrong with him because my other GSD eats fine. His spine you can feel the individual bones and he vet said to up his food, but he isn't eating it.

If he isn't hungry I wouldn't force it. Is he dewormed? Could be the cause of it.

Tide vom Nobles 12-07-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSDlover143 (Post 4629585)
If he isn't hungry I wouldn't force it. Is he dewormed? Could be the cause of it.

He is dewormed.

GSDlover143 12-07-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tide vom Nobles (Post 4629593)
He is dewormed.

Honestly I'd get a second opinion. And without pictures it's really hard to say. But if you want to have him pack on pounds just be careful. But you can't force a dog to eat.

Tide vom Nobles 12-07-2013 10:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is Tide and I will make sure to get a second opinion too