German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Feeding Our Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/)
-   -   New pup not eating. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/376233-new-pup-not-eating.html)

meggy10 12-04-2013 09:10 PM

New pup not eating.

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all, my partner and I just got a puppy from our breeder 3 days ago. She is 7.5 weeks old, and we have some of the food the breeder was feeding and we are trying to switch her over to TOTW. However she won't eat anything at all. If I had to estimate exactly how much she has eaten over the past three days I would say maybe 1/2 a cup and that's probably rounding up. We have soaked it in warm water and she still wants nothing to do with it. She has already had her first set of shots and been dewormed twice. Does anyone have any advice that could help, we would greatly appreciate it.

Her are some pictures of her :) Attachment 143801Attachment 143809

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Mary Beth 12-04-2013 10:05 PM

What a pretty pup! I guess it could be the switching over of the food. I would try just giving her the food the breeder gave her and also check with the breeder to see if the food was moistened or not and explain that she isn't eating much. Also, I would have the vet check her over if she still does not eat very much even when given her old food.

onyx'girl 12-04-2013 10:10 PM

I agree, and wonder if the pup is in a new temperature region? Stress from leaving siblings, the familiar environment can take its toll, I wouldn't change the diet so soon. Heat or warmer temps make some dogs go off food some, too...
Call your breeder and let them know she's not eating much, was she picky with them as well? Most pups are ravenous, due to the competition with littermates.
Hopefully she'll settle in and her appetite will kick in. Picky eaters are a pain, and training a pup with low food drive is even harder.

meggy10 12-04-2013 10:57 PM

Thank you for the replies. The breeder said she moistened the food but they ate it hard as well. Luckily the temperature shouldn't be an issue because our breeder only lives 5 minutes away. She said they were all eating fine and I have tried just giving her the old food but she just looks at the bowl and walks away. She doesn't even seem to sniff it at all. She loves her treats though.

zyppi 12-04-2013 11:59 PM

Well, there you go! She's holding out for treats..

If I were you, I'd wean her off treats ASAP.

Only give her nutritious food.

If she really won't eat, I'd bake some chicken and give it to her with a little rice.

I'm not an expert, just had a lot of pups.

She will eat when she's hungry unless there is a physical ( see vet) problem. A cat might starve itself, but not a dog.

Have you had this pup to your vet? First stop for me even with a trusted breeder.

Harry and Lola 12-05-2013 03:34 AM

Yup sounds like she is liking those treats too much and doesn't have time for the boring old kibble. My suggestion is to not treat her at this age, feed her 3 to 4 times a day (if you can), soak her kibble and add a little bit of goats milk on top. Have done this for all mine.

btw, she is absolutely gorgeous.

meggy10 12-05-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry and Lola (Post 4615081)
Yup sounds like she is liking those treats too much and doesn't have time for the boring old kibble. My suggestion is to not treat her at this age, feed her 3 to 4 times a day (if you can), soak her kibble and add a little bit of goats milk on top. Have done this for all mine.

btw, she is absolutely gorgeous.

Would she still be holding out for the treats when she only get a few? When she goes to the bathroom outside that is the only time she gets them. But I will try the goats milk and see if that helps at all. Thank you so much for replying and sharing your input.

Sunflowers 12-05-2013 09:02 AM

Have you tried raw?
I would not feed milk, risk of diarrhea there.
Here is what happened to me:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...raw-story.html

My5dogs 12-05-2013 10:22 AM

Try a tiny bit of canned on top or mix it in. I put a tsp of pure pumpkin and tsp of plain Greek yogurt. My pup eats it all up. Could be change of environment.

Lilie 12-05-2013 01:15 PM

At this stage in the game you can utilize your kibble as treats for going outside to potty. When she goes potty, throw a party and give her a kibble.