Which of these is most suitable for my pup? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Which of these is most suitable for my pup?

Situation:

Lincoln is a very tall (according to the vet), 75-80 lbs (he has been gaining and losing back and forth within this range in the pass months), 1 year old puppy (can I still call him puppy?). He absolutely hates his food. He never really was a fan of eating in general, but with FROMM dry kibbles, he gave me an evil look when I put the bowl down. So, I have been mixing can merrick as a topper with each meal. With that, he would eat but only until the topper is gone. If I feed him just FROMM dry kibbles, he wouldn't touch it unless he super hungry and he will skim it just to survive.

While I thought he would adapt to it at some point, it has been almost 4-5 months and he still consistently hates it. In the pass couple of months, his weight is decreasing which is no surprise to me since he never finish his food and he runs about 30-60 minutes a day. Vet said he is doing great though.

What I want to do:

I want to switch his food. I observe that when he visits friends house who free feeding their dogs, he will sneak in and ate those like he's starving to death at home. When I asked what food are those they are usually 1-2 stars food they picked up from Walmart.

So, I came up with a few choices to switch to. I read a few threads and got a mix review. I understand that everyone has opinion. I start this thread to ask for your opinion about MY situation.

Choices:
Orijen - Adult dog or puppy large
Acana - Wild Prairie
Merrick - Grain free chicken and potato

Questions:
1. Should he still eat puppy formula? Or adult would be fine?
2. As you can see, I rank my choices based on the price. To go from FROMM to Orijen, its going to cost me a lot more. I'm willing to do it if it is worth it. So, does it?
3. Is grain free the right way to go with his weight issue? or is it even an issue??

Thanks
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

They all seem suitable to me, but I'd bet he'll soon turn his nose up to the new one as well. Two of mine did this, actually ranger is still doing it at 14 months. We tried mixing in just about everything and they'd still just pick. I see others post about rotating different kibbles of the same brand to help with boredom and not upset the stomach.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

They spray all kinds of nasty stuff on that cheap food to get the dogs to eat it!

Orijen is a great food but gives some dogs diarrhea. So if your boy has a sensitive stomach, go with its sister food Acana, which would be cheaper for you, as you mentioned. I think that the Acana is better quality food than the Merrick. I think grain free is better.

Adult food not puppy food for him.

Try getting some ground hamburger and some ground turkey to switch off with. Put about 1/2 cup of meat into his bowl and mix well with about 3/4 to 1 cup warm water. Then stir in the kibble so that it is completely covered with the meat juice. I bet he'll eat THAT!

Moms

Last edited by Momto2GSDs; 12-03-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post
They spray all kinds of nasty stuff on that cheap food to get the dogs to eat it!

Orijen is a great food but gives some dogs diarrhea. So if your boy has a sensitive stomach, go with its sister food Acana, which would be cheaper for you, as you mentioned. I think that the Acana is better quality food than the Merrick. I think grain free is better.

Adult food not puppy food for him.

Try getting some ground hamburger and some ground turkey to switch off with. Put about 1/2 cup of meat into his bowl and mix well with about 3/4 to 1 cup warm water. Then stir in the kibble so that it is completely covered with the meat juice. I bet he'll eat THAT!

Moms
Thank you! you are very helpful and right to the point. I ordered a sample for both Acana and Orijen for him to try it out. That hamburger idea sounds awesome. I will try that sometime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
They all seem suitable to me, but I'd bet he'll soon turn his nose up to the new one as well. Two of mine did this, actually ranger is still doing it at 14 months. We tried mixing in just about everything and they'd still just pick. I see others post about rotating different kibbles of the same brand to help with boredom and not upset the stomach.
Yeah I know mine is a spoiled brat too
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.