German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Feeding Our Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/)
-   -   Which of these is most suitable for my pup? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/375601-these-most-suitable-my-pup.html)

Linck 12-03-2013 05:03 PM

Which of these is most suitable for my pup?

Situation:

Lincoln is a very tall (according to the vet), 75-80 lbs (he has been gaining and losing back and forth within this range in the pass months), 1 year old puppy (can I still call him puppy?). He absolutely hates his food. He never really was a fan of eating in general, but with FROMM dry kibbles, he gave me an evil look when I put the bowl down. So, I have been mixing can merrick as a topper with each meal. With that, he would eat but only until the topper is gone. If I feed him just FROMM dry kibbles, he wouldn't touch it unless he super hungry and he will skim it just to survive.

While I thought he would adapt to it at some point, it has been almost 4-5 months and he still consistently hates it. In the pass couple of months, his weight is decreasing which is no surprise to me since he never finish his food and he runs about 30-60 minutes a day. Vet said he is doing great though.

What I want to do:

I want to switch his food. I observe that when he visits friends house who free feeding their dogs, he will sneak in and ate those like he's starving to death at home. When I asked what food are those they are usually 1-2 stars food they picked up from Walmart.

So, I came up with a few choices to switch to. I read a few threads and got a mix review. I understand that everyone has opinion. I start this thread to ask for your opinion about MY situation.

Choices:
Orijen - Adult dog or puppy large
Acana - Wild Prairie
Merrick - Grain free chicken and potato

Questions:
1. Should he still eat puppy formula? Or adult would be fine?
2. As you can see, I rank my choices based on the price. To go from FROMM to Orijen, its going to cost me a lot more. I'm willing to do it if it is worth it. So, does it?
3. Is grain free the right way to go with his weight issue? or is it even an issue??

Thanks

Nigel 12-03-2013 05:33 PM

They all seem suitable to me, but I'd bet he'll soon turn his nose up to the new one as well. Two of mine did this, actually ranger is still doing it at 14 months. We tried mixing in just about everything and they'd still just pick. I see others post about rotating different kibbles of the same brand to help with boredom and not upset the stomach.

Momto2GSDs 12-03-2013 06:59 PM

They spray all kinds of nasty stuff on that cheap food to get the dogs to eat it!:sick:

Orijen is a great food but gives some dogs diarrhea. So if your boy has a sensitive stomach, go with its sister food Acana, which would be cheaper for you, as you mentioned. I think that the Acana is better quality food than the Merrick. I think grain free is better.

Adult food not puppy food for him.;)

Try getting some ground hamburger and some ground turkey to switch off with. Put about 1/2 cup of meat into his bowl and mix well with about 3/4 to 1 cup warm water. Then stir in the kibble so that it is completely covered with the meat juice. I bet he'll eat THAT!:D

Moms:)

Linck 12-04-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs (Post 4607233)
They spray all kinds of nasty stuff on that cheap food to get the dogs to eat it!:sick:

Orijen is a great food but gives some dogs diarrhea. So if your boy has a sensitive stomach, go with its sister food Acana, which would be cheaper for you, as you mentioned. I think that the Acana is better quality food than the Merrick. I think grain free is better.

Adult food not puppy food for him.;)

Try getting some ground hamburger and some ground turkey to switch off with. Put about 1/2 cup of meat into his bowl and mix well with about 3/4 to 1 cup warm water. Then stir in the kibble so that it is completely covered with the meat juice. I bet he'll eat THAT!:D

Moms:)

Thank you! you are very helpful and right to the point. I ordered a sample for both Acana and Orijen for him to try it out. That hamburger idea sounds awesome. I will try that sometime :wub:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel (Post 4606817)
They all seem suitable to me, but I'd bet he'll soon turn his nose up to the new one as well. Two of mine did this, actually ranger is still doing it at 14 months. We tried mixing in just about everything and they'd still just pick. I see others post about rotating different kibbles of the same brand to help with boredom and not upset the stomach.

Yeah I know mine is a spoiled brat too :o