Grain Free question. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Grain Free question.

I have my little guy on Taste of the wild, grain free (Adult). Since he has been on grain free he goes to the bathroom probably 5-6 times a day. Is this normal for grain free food? I heard it to make them go a lot but this seems crazy. He gets 1-3/4 cups 3x daily. Some times a little more. Is this normal?
ttrelfa3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't think that is normal.. it almost makes me wonder if he has an allergy.. what kind are you feeding him and is his stool normal?

I feed Titan Nature's recipe, grain free and he goes once, MAYBE twice. 5-6 times is a lot.

Whitney

Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
Gulf Coast Search and Recovery
wyoung2153 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoung2153 View Post
I don't think that is normal.. it almost makes me wonder if he has an allergy.. what kind are you feeding him and is his stool normal?

I feed Titan Nature's recipe, grain free and he goes once, MAYBE twice. 5-6 times is a lot.
Going onto this food his stool finally became normal. Maybe its a little soft but solid little bricks. I was gonna change his food to something else but since his stool is not soft served ice cream anymore I am going to wait out this bag.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Interesting.. Do you feed him other treats or anything throughout the day?

Whitney

Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
Gulf Coast Search and Recovery
wyoung2153 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

You might be feeding him too much. Gradually reduce the amount and see if that helps or feed just 2x a day. How old is your puppy?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 11-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

How old is he? Puppies poop a lot. As long as it's solid I wouldn't worry. My goldens and lab as pups would go up to 8 times. It's puppies
My5dogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirsten View Post
You might be feeding him too much. Gradually reduce the amount and see if that helps or feed just 2x a day. How old is your puppy?

Trying to do that as well, and he is 3.5 months old.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoung2153 View Post
Interesting.. Do you feed him other treats or anything throughout the day?
Nope not really. Only gets treats while training. Havent given much since his stools were so bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My5dogs View Post
How old is he? Puppies poop a lot. As long as it's solid I wouldn't worry. My goldens and lab as pups would go up to 8 times. It's puppies
3.5 months he is. He is happy just wanted to see if this is normal. Id be more worried if nothing was coming out haha
Old 11-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

It is written almost everuwhere that GSD is a breed should be raised on and fed raw meat. I don't know what makes people repeating one and the same mistake: feeding your young tender puppy some kibble, starting with some little problem, which develops into a big problem with digestion while your dog's young organism is still capable of struggling, then trying to cure it with raw chicken breast and probiotics, and after that simply learning that everything your carnivour needs is a variety of raw meet and bones. Wheat, rye, potatoes and other products are rich in starch, which is responsible for mucus growth in guts and subsequent diarrhea. Grains like oats and rice (well cooked) are good for your dog. Until 2 months puppies should be fed six times a day. From 2 till 4 months keep to the 5 times maintenance, 4 x maintenance in between 4 and 5 months and 4-3 x maintenance in between 5 and 6 months. If for some reason the puppy didn't eat his portion, take it away immediately till the next meal with the new portion in the appointed hour. But, the formation of the feces takes its time despite puppy's fast digestion. Say, if you feed him 5 times - ideally, he must ask to take him outside for the purpose two-three times, not more. He cannot digest that artificial stuff you feed him.
David Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Taggart View Post
It is written almost everuwhere that GSD is a breed should be raised on and fed raw meat. I don't know what makes people repeating one and the same mistake: feeding your young tender puppy some kibble, starting with some little problem, which develops into a big problem with digestion while your dog's young organism is still capable of struggling, then trying to cure it with raw chicken breast and probiotics, and after that simply learning that everything your carnivour needs is a variety of raw meet and bones. Wheat, rye, potatoes and other products are rich in starch, which is responsible for mucus growth in guts and subsequent diarrhea. Grains like oats and rice (well cooked) are good for your dog. Until 2 months puppies should be fed six times a day. From 2 till 4 months keep to the 5 times maintenance, 4 x maintenance in between 4 and 5 months and 4-3 x maintenance in between 5 and 6 months. If for some reason the puppy didn't eat his portion, take it away immediately till the next meal with the new portion in the appointed hour. But, the formation of the feces takes its time despite puppy's fast digestion. Say, if you feed him 5 times - ideally, he must ask to take him outside for the purpose two-three times, not more. He cannot digest that artificial stuff you feed him.
I understand where you are coming from but not everyone has the desire to feed there dog a raw diet. I believe my dog is perfectly healthy as does my veterinarian. I ask this just to see if common on grain free for him to go so much. To me there is also no problem feeding any dog kibble as long as it is good quality. To me you also came off saying all of that rudely, I appreciate everyone's suggestions on here but don't have to come off so negative.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Puppies poop a lot as said, how long has he been on grain-free? Could be a bit of detox, getting the carbs from grain out of the system.
ozzymama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.