Help..my dog acts like she's STARVING!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2013, 09:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help..my dog acts like she's STARVING!!

I have made a previous thread regarding how much to feed based on my dog looking pretty thin and acting like she's starving to death, I mean she practically knocks me down to get to the food during feeding. The thing is, she never was that food obsessed as a small puppy, I can't quite remember when she started acting like this. Here's the hx:
Dani is 8 and 1/2 months.. just finished being in heat.
Feeding 5 cups of Orijen 6 fish, was feeding 4, then 4.5 cups. She looks healthy in every other way, great coat, good poops, etc.
She does get a few treats, not much, the occasional bully stick, no table or people food. MOstly because I don't want to mess with her stomach cuz we've had a bout of the squirties and not something I want to repeat!

Some of my friends comment that "she is so thin, you should feed her more", but I know this is to be expected as they go through that gangly adolescent phase. However, I keep increasing her food because I feel so bad that she acts like she is literally starving to death! I would like some feedback on how she looks and if anyone else's pup acts like that..it just seems to me more than just "food motivated", but what do I know.

I can feel her ribs with little pressure, can't see them unless she is curled sideways or lying on her side (should you see them when she is on her side?)
Can you even feed more than 5 cups a day?? It seems like a lot of food...also, her poop does tend to get a little mushy with this much food. Just looking for some feedback/advise.... I have included the best pics I could get.Help..my dog acts like she's STARVING!!-20130831_071837.jpg

Help..my dog acts like she's STARVING!!-20130831_071855.jpg

Help..my dog acts like she's STARVING!!-20130830_171707.jpg
JMCrowley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2013, 09:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

This dog doesn't look underfed to me and I am not aware of anyone recommending feeding more than 2 1/2 cups twice a day for a dog that age...better lean and healthy than overweight. If your friends aren't vets or experienced handlers, why put any stock in their comments about her size?
ten3zro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm really not concerned about what friends think about her weight...I just feel really guilty for her feeling hungry all the time. And it concerns me that maybe something else is going on if she's eating that much and not putting on any weight and feeling that hungry all the time.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCrowley View Post
I'm really not concerned about what friends think about her weight...I just feel really guilty for her feeling hungry all the time. And it concerns me that maybe something else is going on if she's eating that much and not putting on any weight and feeling that hungry all the time.

Did you start with 3 feedings a day and then go to twice? Maybe feeding 1 to 1 1/2 cups three times a day for a little longer suits her better...but if the vet says she's healthy, I don't think she's starving. She may not necessarily be hungry, she may just love to eat...
ten3zro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2013, 10:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

If your worried, get her tested for EPI. What are her stools like?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 08-31-2013, 10:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdlover91 View Post
If your worried, get her tested for EPI. What are her stools like?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
this,

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
ken k is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCrowley View Post
we've had a bout of the squirties and not something I want to repeat!
Were the "squirties" a brief episode that happened once, cleared on its own, and never again? Or something she is constantly battling? The answer to this would be a clue as to the EPI hypothesis others have raised.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2013, 11:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Agree with the others about testing for EPI.

I had a dog like this. She never had an issue with food and then all of a sudden she would practically eat the metal bowl! She was eating about 10 cups of food per day and went down to 50 pounds!

Your dog is probably not assimilating her food properly thus the thinness. A good quality digestive enzyme may help in the mean time before testing. This one is sometimes found in local Doggie Boutiques, or you can purchase from the company. The Wholistic Pet

Hope this helps!
Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2013, 11:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

EPI is my biggest concern in the back of my mind....that's why Im trying to find out if anyone else's dog acts like that despite eating that much... I would have her tested just to put my mind at ease, but I heard it's like a $300 test she doesn't have any other sx of EPI at this time. We battled Giardia for months when she was a pup but that's been over and her stools have been pretty much perfect since I finished the Kocci free. She doesn't have gas or any other upset that I'm aware of. The squirts was an isolated incident a few weeks ago that has since resolved completely. As I mentioned, now that I have upped her food to 5cups a day she has occasional mushy poop usually at the end of "going". Not to be gross but she's always had what seems to me like a particularly bad odor to the stool, thought it was giardia but even when she's clear of it, maybe it's normal though.

I should mention she's been on probiotics for months and right now on purina fortiflora, also give her pumpkin from time to time mostly now just cuz she loves it. Anyone know how much the test costs and what it is called??? I do have this sneaking suspicion that something isn't quite right...
Old 08-31-2013, 11:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

you can try contacting DR. Clark and see if she`s still doing research with EPI, she was with Texas A&M, not sure where she is now, but at one time she was taking blood sample and testing for EPI for free
Clemson University | Department of Genetics and Biochemistry | Faculty - Dr. Leigh Anne Clark

if not, get your pup tested, it around $200, the longer you wait the more problems can arise, not trying to scare you

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
ken k is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.