German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Feeding Our Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/)
-   -   Help..my dog acts like she's STARVING!! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/328026-help-my-dog-acts-like-shes-starving.html)

gsdlover91 08-31-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCrowley (Post 4129234)
EPI is my biggest concern in the back of my mind....that's why Im trying to find out if anyone else's dog acts like that despite eating that much... I would have her tested just to put my mind at ease, but I heard it's like a $300 test she doesn't have any other sx of EPI at this time. We battled Giardia for months when she was a pup but that's been over and her stools have been pretty much perfect since I finished the Kocci free. She doesn't have gas or any other upset that I'm aware of. The squirts was an isolated incident a few weeks ago that has since resolved completely. As I mentioned, now that I have upped her food to 5cups a day she has occasional mushy poop usually at the end of "going". Not to be gross but she's always had what seems to me like a particularly bad odor to the stool, thought it was giardia but even when she's clear of it, maybe it's normal though.

I should mention she's been on probiotics for months and right now on purina fortiflora, also give her pumpkin from time to time mostly now just cuz she loves it. Anyone know how much the test costs and what it is called??? I do have this sneaking suspicion that something isn't quite right...

The test is not $300. I had my dogs blood tested for EPI and SIBO for under that amount. They sent it out to Texas A&M too I believe. I payed 200-something for the tests, the visit, and some meds that day. But, you should seriously get the blood work done, I thought FOR SURE my guy had EPI, turned out he doesn't, not even close - and that peace of mind is wonderful. If she does though, she is basically going to starve to death as she NEEDS to be supplemented with animal enzymes. BTW, bad odor, and mushy poops are a symptom of EPI. Get her tested. Ask your vet to do the blood test for EPI/SIBO (folate levels) - make sure you fast your dog for 12 hours prior to the blood test, and make sure they send the blood work out.

EDIT: For us, they tested the Vitamin B-12, and folate levels (can indicate SIBO or vit b-12 deficiency - which could also be concern in your dog - without vit b12 - they cannot digest food properly. And then for the EPI they tested the TLI levels - Trypsin-Like Immunoreactivity.

gsdlover91 08-31-2013 02:26 PM

Also, just re read your OP...my dog is a 13 month old intact male, he never goes crazy for his actual dinner/breakfast, only certain treats. And he is what I call 'food motivated' as I used food to train many things with him. He only gets 2 cups a kibble a day, and a tiny amount of canned food to entice him to eat (less than 1/4 can) He is skinny, but not underweight. He is actually the perfect weight. I wouldn't feed over 5 cups, especially of Orijen, that is alot of food! How much does she weigh? Also are her stools HUGE? Or small and hard? How many times does she go a day? Also I see your in IL, I am too.

JMCrowley 09-01-2013 07:36 AM

These responses have been very helpful, though worrysome. I have a bad feeling something is wrong...I will have her tested as soon as I can next week. I know 5 cups is a LOT of food - seems she should not be so hungry. She poops a ton, esp. now on 5 cups, 3 times a day and it is a LOT, usually need 2 use 2 bags! I am so worried that she is EPI, but at least if I find out I can start to help her feel better. I'm gonna have a lot of learning to do if it's positive....

JMCrowley 09-01-2013 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs (Post 4129138)
. A good quality digestive enzyme may help in the mean time before testing. This one is sometimes found in local Doggie Boutiques, or you can purchase from the company. The Wholistic Pet

Hope this helps!
Moms :)

Is this different from the probiotics I'm giving her?? Are these pancreatic enzymes or something else?

doggiedad 09-01-2013 09:22 AM

teach your dog not to charge her bowl. teach her to wait
quietly for her food.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCrowley (Post 4128770)
I have made a previous thread regarding how much to feed based on my dog looking pretty thin and acting like she's starving to death,

>>>>>> I mean she practically knocks me down to get to the food during feeding. <<<<<<

The thing is, she never was that food obsessed as a small puppy, I can't quite remember when she started acting like this. Here's the hx:
Dani is 8 and 1/2 months.. just finished being in heat.
Feeding 5 cups of Orijen 6 fish, was feeding 4, then 4.5 cups. She looks healthy in every other way, great coat, good poops, etc.
She does get a few treats, not much, the occasional bully stick, no table or people food. MOstly because I don't want to mess with her stomach cuz we've had a bout of the squirties and not something I want to repeat!

Some of my friends comment that "she is so thin, you should feed her more", but I know this is to be expected as they go through that gangly adolescent phase. However, I keep increasing her food because I feel so bad that she acts like she is literally starving to death! I would like some feedback on how she looks and if anyone else's pup acts like that..it just seems to me more than just "food motivated", but what do I know.

I can feel her ribs with little pressure, can't see them unless she is curled sideways or lying on her side (should you see them when she is on her side?)
Can you even feed more than 5 cups a day?? It seems like a lot of food...also, her poop does tend to get a little mushy with this much food. Just looking for some feedback/advise.... I have included the best pics I could get.Attachment 106626

Attachment 106634

Attachment 106642

Momto2GSDs 09-01-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCrowley (Post 4129234)
EPI is my biggest concern in the back of my mind....that's why Im trying to find out if anyone else's dog acts like that despite eating that much... I would have her tested just to put my mind at ease, but I heard it's like a $300 test she doesn't have any other sx of EPI at this time. We battled Giardia for months when she was a pup but that's been over and her stools have been pretty much perfect since I finished the Kocci free. She doesn't have gas or any other upset that I'm aware of. The squirts was an isolated incident a few weeks ago that has since resolved completely. As I mentioned, now that I have upped her food to 5cups a day she has occasional mushy poop usually at the end of "going". Not to be gross but she's always had what seems to me like a particularly bad odor to the stool, thought it was giardia but even when she's clear of it, maybe it's normal though.

I should mention she's been on probiotics for months and right now on purina fortiflora, also give her pumpkin from time to time mostly now just cuz she loves it. Anyone know how much the test costs and what it is called??? I do have this sneaking suspicion that something isn't quite right...

Hi JM,
Please get a new probiotic! ;)
Purina FortiFlora Ingredients: Animal digest (WHAT animal??? Which means ANY animal! Animal Digest can also include intestines, as well as the contents of those iintestines, such as stool, bile, parasites and chemicals. “This ingredient is determined by the FDA to possibly contain euthanized animals” :eek::shocked::eek: NOT a good ingredient), Enterococcus faecium, L-ascorbyl-2- polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), brewers dried yeast (Some dogs can have reactions to yeast), Vitamin E supplement, zinc proteinate, beta-Carotene, salt, manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, copper proteinate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite. D-4582
Moms :)

JMCrowley 09-01-2013 06:23 PM

Wow I'm glad you mentioned that, I was unaware of that. I have already put her back on DigestAll which I had been giving to her previously. The vet gave me the fortiflora during an isolated bout of bad diarrhea. Don't think I'll be using the rest of it.

Heidigsd 09-01-2013 06:45 PM

JMCrowley: Here is the EPI group I belong to, maybe some of the info will help with figuring out what's going on with your girl. Forum - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

Good luck next week and I hope her test comes back "negative" for EPI :)

Michaela

JMCrowley 09-06-2013 08:16 PM

Well, Dani is being spayed today, and also being tested for EPI, they will send it out so I'm not sure how long it will take to get the results, but I will post when I find out if anyone is interested. Thanks for all your replies.

selzer 09-07-2013 12:01 AM

If your dog has EPI, without the proper enzymes that her pancreas is not producing, she will continue to eat like she is starving and continue to lose weight.

Usually, EPI is accompanied by SIBO and Vitamin B deficiencies but not always, and they can develop later.

If your dog has EPI, the food will have to be treated with the enzymes and water, and then wait for about 20 minutes. She should start gaining weight within days. Weighing her at the vet regularly, can help you determine whether or not she is continuing to improve or is having one of the other problems as well.