Not eating..... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2013, 04:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Not eating.....

My almost 10 month old pup has not been eating. She doesn't touch her food unless I give her real meat! My trainer said to leave the food bowl for 15 minutes and take it away if she doesn't touch it. So I do that and she has gone 3 days without eating it. Her energy is full and she acts normal. Here's the nasty part, when I take her in the front, with no hesitation she will eat cat poop! I do look around first to see if there are any before I take her out but I never seem to spot it. She sniffs it out. I'm feeding her blue buffalo grain free puppy food. In the mornings I would give her raw ground beef with her kibbles or boiled chicken breasts. I want her to eat when I give her food and not only in the morning when there's mixed goods in it. So I took away the real meat so she can get used to eating what I'm giving her which is not working. I don't want her to starve herself and I don't want her to be picky either (which i think may be too late) Any suggestions on what I can do to eat her kibbles?

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Meeka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2013, 06:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

she may not like what you're feeding her. switch brands.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
Would that be safe? The one I'm feeding her is the 4th brand already. I read on here somewhere that it's not good to keep switching when they're still under 1. Is that true? I personally think she doesn't like kibbles. I think she prefers real meat but that can be a bit pricey and adds up.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Why not add a little bit (like a big table spoon) of can food or a bit of ground beef to the kibble as a topper?
Mine just look at me like I've gone mad if I serve just kibble - if I run out of meat or can I put in an egg, a spoon of yoghurt or sardines or if i have nothing else a spoon of cat food

I do also add a bit of water and mix it all up to make like a gravy I know not everyone likes adding water to kibble but it works for mine

No reason not to switch brands, perhaps see if you can get some sample packs so you can try if she will eat it.
Kibble by itself is pretty boring - kind like eating dry cornflakes out of the box

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
Old 05-12-2013, 12:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks everyone! I will look into a different brand again. She is very sensitive to certain things and I hate it when she gets the runs. I will try the tips you gave me mooch!

Old 05-12-2013, 12:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Why not add things into her food? Not all dogs like kibble. I don't understand why people insist on forcing their dogs to eat plain kibble when they obviously don't like it. I certainly would not want to eat the same little pulverized pieces of food every day.

Adding things like fresh meat, cottage cheese, yoghurt, high quality canned food, pumpkin, raw eggs, etc. is good for her in addition to making things more appetizing.

You might also consider switching her to raw. That usually makes dogs very happy!

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2013, 02:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

I do mix things in. I mix in chicken breasts and raw hamburger patties. I only do it once a day. The 2nd time that I feed her is plain and dry kibbles which she won't touch. The trainer that I was working with told me to give her dry to let her get used to eating what I give her. That didn't work. She only eats when I mix it. I went 3 days trying to get her "used" to dry kibbles only and couldn't stand her not eating so I caved in first and went back to mixing. I was also told that too much protein isn't good? I didn't know they can eat yogurt. Would this be like yoplait yogurt? how much should I mix in? I feed her 2 cups of kibbles 2 times a day (2nd time she doesn't eat unless its mixed). Cheese gives her the runs and so does pork. She also loves plain rice!

Old 05-12-2013, 03:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Plain rice is just empty calories. For yogurt you want plain, non-fat or low-fat. Be sure there are no sweeteners in it. Plain kefir is even better.

Can you find Merrick canned food? Most dogs love that. Tripett is another good one (canned tripe).

Unless you are feeding a lot of extra you don't have to worry about overdoing it with the protein.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2013, 04:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks! I gave her rice only twice to test to see if it would help her eat her food and it did. Plus I ran out of meats so it was a substitution. I will look for merrick and try the plain yogurt.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.