Low Protein Food? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Low Protein Food?

Recently I had some contact with a trainer and he said possibly the food i am feeding my dog is too high in protein...I feed him Solid golds large breed wolf king...its 22 Percent protein

Any suggestions for food that is lower in protein, the reason he is on on that food is he literally couldn't eat anything else without getting diarrhea.
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

22% protein is pretty low to begin with. I'm pretty sure your trainer doesn't have a clue what they're talking about.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

No way 22% is nowhere near to high. For a puppy I think 25% or so is pretty good but higher when they are grown. Is he having problem on THAT food?

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm not an expert on dog food, but I thought german shepherds need at least 30% of protein. But I may be wrong.
northgashepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Personally I don't like puppies to be on high protein foods. Increased protein = increased growth rate, and I along with many vets agree that the slower a puppy grows (within healthy measures, of course), the better. My vet felt that the fact that he was still on puppy food was a contributing factor to Zeke getting panosteitis at 9 months of age. For people feeding kibble, I always recommend switching over to adult food around 5 months old.

There has been numerous debate on this, especially in the veterinary world. Personally, I don't believe that juvenile animals need different diets IF we are feeding nutritionally correct diets to begin with. Human children eat the same (or SHOULD) balanced meals their parents eat. In the wild, wolf pups eat the same meat as the adults. Deer calves graze on the same grasses. Robin chicks eat the same worms and other insects.

That being said, there are different recommended protein percentages for different dogs. The average, mildly active dog, it is recommended they get around 18% protein. However, sport or working dogs, high drive dogs, etc... it is recommended anywhere from 25-35% protein.

Just like in human athletes, you want a high protein diet to promote bone growth. But in the average, lazy Joe, high protein usually leads to fat.

Of course, in the long run you are going to cause more harm than good with a diet LACKING in protein over a diet too HIGH in protein. So is 22% protein too high? No, technically your dog can easily handle it. Perhaps your dog is a little on the heavy side and your trainer was simply stating the "higher" protein content in your food could be a potential problem. Seeing as how the 22% is technically higher than the recommended 18% of the average adult dog diet, I wouldn't necessarily call the trainer an idiot.

If its the only food that works for your dog's GI tract, then stick to it.

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

30%+ protein is pretty high in dog food standards. For a high drive, highly active dog, yes that would be fine and GREAT for building muscle and toning (Blue Buffalo Wilderness with 34% protein).

For the average dog, not super active, not super high energy, I would be afraid that you would easily have a very fat dog on 30%+ protein.

Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy food has 36% protein, and that thought just TERRIFIES me, lol.

Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Old 02-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

My 13 year old senior (shih tzu) is on BB Wilderness Senior. Even the senior dog food still has 30 percent protein, but I watch him closely to make sure he stays in tip top shape. He does great on it and has lots of energy. I also give him a joint supplement daily, but that's it.
Galathiel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 01:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

what do dog food companies refer to as protein? is that meat, or the percentage of protein within the meat? Because my poor puppy is eating about 90 percent protein and 10 bone. I could add a bunch of rice and potato, to the point that meat is first in the ingredient list but the other 10 main ingredients make the meat weigh 30% but why would I do that??? That 30 percent ratio is a joke. I even have a supplement which is 1000 times better than all the added vitamins in any dog food ive seen. Theirs reads as the cheapest possible form of vitamins and my pupsup looks like something gnc would sell to humans flaxseed based and filled with good stuff like probiotics. And I disagree that a high protein diet is the cause of human health issues. Its the stupid food pyramid thats the problem- carbs make people fat.

Last edited by volcano; 02-24-2013 at 01:09 AM.
volcano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 08:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Feeding Puppies

It's the calcium that is the concern in terms of increased growth.

However, some people feel that the high protein can result in things like downed pasterns/weak pasterns.

But 22% is actually pretty low.
JeanKBBMMMAAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcano View Post
what do dog food companies refer to as protein? is that meat, or the percentage of protein within the meat? Because my poor puppy is eating about 90 percent protein and 10 bone. I could add a bunch of rice and potato, to the point that meat is first in the ingredient list but the other 10 main ingredients make the meat weigh 30% but why would I do that??? That 30 percent ratio is a joke. I even have a supplement which is 1000 times better than all the added vitamins in any dog food ive seen. Theirs reads as the cheapest possible form of vitamins and my pupsup looks like something gnc would sell to humans flaxseed based and filled with good stuff like probiotics. And I disagree that a high protein diet is the cause of human health issues. Its the stupid food pyramid thats the problem- carbs make people fat.
You're preaching to the choir - I call kibble in a bag, wouldn't feed dog food if you gave it to me. I'm just stating as far as kibble ratios/percentages go. And no, most protein sources in canine kibble is processed corn, NOT meat based protein

Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

Last edited by JeanKBBMMMAAN; 02-24-2013 at 10:56 AM. Reason: warning - language - review board rules
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.