Best Food for German Shepherd? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Smile Best Food for German Shepherd?

I know this question has been asked a million times but I am really wondering what other GSD owners consider a "great dog food". Our pup is currently 10 weeks old and is on Royal Canine because thats what he was started on and I didn't want to switch it at the beginning of housebreaking because I figured there would be a lot of accidents due to upset tummy. Right now we are considering switching to Blue Buffalo Wilderness but wanted some other opinions to make sure we are doing the right thing. This is our first GSD and family pet so we want to make sure we are doing the right thing. Thanks for the advice!
MarineWifeJones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Whatever works well for you and your dog. Some folks like raw, and others avoid any diamond product like the plague so you'll have plenty of opinions and advice. I feed the tractor supply brand (which is made by diamond) and it's done well by me. The dogs really like it, the ingredients are decent and it doesn't break the bank. I do supplement with raw.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Raw food is the best dog food.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default B.A.R.F. Diet

We tried as much as we could to keep our shepherd on the BARF diet which stands for Beef And Raw Foods. Basically, the whole theory behind the diet is that since dogs are descendants of wolves and wolves live out in the wild they can only eat raw foods. A wolf cannot cook food or has access to processed bag foods so therefore your dog should eat just like a wolf naturally would. Wolves and dogs are able to digest raw meats unlike humans. Makes sense right? My dog loved getting raw beef scraps and most veggies that I would also give to him as supplement.
conquer020 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conquer020 View Post
We tried as much as we could to keep our shepherd on the BARF diet which stands for Beef And Raw Foods. Basically, the whole theory behind the diet is that since dogs are descendants of wolves and wolves live out in the wild they can only eat raw foods. A wolf cannot cook food or has access to processed bag foods so therefore your dog should eat just like a wolf naturally would. Wolves and dogs are able to digest raw meats unlike humans. Makes sense right? My dog loved getting raw beef scraps and most veggies that I would also give to him as supplement.
BARF stands for Biologically Appropriate Raw Food.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWifeJones View Post
I know this question has been asked a million times but I am really wondering what other GSD owners consider a "great dog food". Our pup is currently 10 weeks old and is on Royal Canine because thats what he was started on and I didn't want to switch it at the beginning of housebreaking because I figured there would be a lot of accidents due to upset tummy. Right now we are considering switching to Blue Buffalo Wilderness but wanted some other opinions to make sure we are doing the right thing. This is our first GSD and family pet so we want to make sure we are doing the right thing. Thanks for the advice!
I would say Wilderness is a 1000 times better than Royal Canine. I would never feed R.C. and I mean never. Raw feeders get old, pushing their tude, but it just isn't an option for people who HAVE JOBS, a family and no way of storing large amounts of frozen meat. Their are many good dog foods out their and Core is one of them. I am a big Orijen feeder but I also believe in feeding as much fresh meat as you can afford no matter what you feed. Some good ones, yes there are others, no doubt..

Orijen, Acana, Horizon Legacy, Fromm, Merrick, Go Endurance, Precise Holistic, Wellness Core, Castor and Pollux Natural, Eathborn Holistic, Evo, Go Fit and Free, Instinct, Pinnacle Peak, Solid Gold, Canidea, Darford Zero/G, Now Grain Free.

Pulsar, Blue Wilderness, Artemis, First Mate. Natures Logic, Nutrisourse, Exclusive, Pure Vita, Wellness, Earthborn, Annamaet, Organix, Whole Earth Farms, Premium Edge, By Nature grain free, TOTW.

The I would never feed list.. Yes, it needs updating because Science Diet and Authority have both improved.

1. Ol Roy
2. Pedigree
3. Beneful
4. Purnia
5. Alpo
6. Friskies
7. Liams
8. Science Diet
9. Nutro
10. Royal Canin
11. Kibbles and Bits
12. Abady
13. Eukanuba
14. Bil Jac
15. Pro Plan
16. Authority
17. Nutra
18. Cesar Millan
19. Pro Pac
20. Ultra
3ToesTonyismydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

If your dog does well on Royal Canin and you like the brand then keep feeding it. Thousands of dogs eat it every day and do great. Even performance/sporting dogs who need a good food to feed them out well eat it and excel in their jobs. I wouldn't agree with 3Toe's wouldn't feed list, they might not be willing to feed it but I would and many people I know would and do. Pro Pac, Abady and Eukanuba would be my top 3 from that list, top 5 would also include Pro Plan and Royal Canin. Nothing bad about these foods if it works for your dog. Top 3 brands for best bang for your buck IME/O would be Victor, Eagle Pack and Pro Pac though.

For the price of some of the kibbles people will recommend, you could be feeding raw for cheaper.
SS-GSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Oh and I'm a little offended you feel raw feeders don't have jobs or families. I have a family, a farm, two jobs and even a social life. I still find time to do raw, it's not that hard. I take a day every 1-2 months to stock up and repackage food. This takes me a couple hours since I've got multiple dogs to feed but I can lay down a tarp in my living room and watch TV while I do it. I pull containers at night to thaw which are pre-portioned for my dogs. They get half the container in the morning and half at night. If I forget to thaw something, I keep chicken quarters/drum sticks to give them frozen that are separately packaged or just feed them some left overs. It takes no more time each day than scooping out kibble.
SS-GSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 10:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you everybody for your advice, this is definitely a new experience for my family and I and we are wanting to make sure we give him the best life possible!
MarineWifeJones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

I'll say this again, if you don't have x-ray vision then you have no clue what is really going on inside your dog. Cheap crappy food is just that, crappy food. So in the fictitious theory of "if your dog does good on it, keep feeding it"... Dumbest statement ever!!!. So then, if your kid does good on McDonald's OR CANDY, just keep feeding it. LOL, ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE.

My dog did great for 12 years on Beneful..... Then the TUMOR AROSE, caused by the dog food!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FACT.. Take a chance if you want, but you can't see the future nor what is gong on inside your dog.

And not all can raw feed, because most people with families, jobs and active ATHLETIC kids just don't have the time... FACT..
3ToesTonyismydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.