Royal Canin Starter - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emy1 View Post
Also guys my puppy eats grass and turtle poops haha is that fine ?
Grass is fine as long as it hasn't been treated with any chemicals (pesticides) . The turtles carry salmonella, I would try to keep the puppy away from their poops. You can distract your pup by throwing a stick or a ball, and the pup will go chase after that instead.
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
Grass is fine as long as it hasn't been treated with any chemicals (pesticides) . The turtles carry salmonella, I would try to keep the puppy away from their poops. You can distract your pup by throwing a stick or a ball, and the pup will go chase after that instead.
Thank you Mary. As soon as he is in the back yard he rushes to get the poops and i am not quick enough to catch him. I ll probably just start keeping him in but he seems to enjoy being out there, eating grass and turtle poops... what to do
emy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well,your puppy should be able to go outside. If I were you, I would clean up the turtles poop before I let the puppy out. If that isn't practical, and I couldn't put the turtles in a different place, I would take the chance rather than keep my puppy inside all the time.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
Well,your puppy should be able to go outside. If I were you, I would clean up the turtles poop before I let the puppy out. If that isn't practical, and I couldn't put the turtles in a different place, I would take the chance rather than keep my puppy inside all the time.
Thank you for your advice. I ll just clean up the turtles mess and it should be okay i dont guarantee that he won t eat cats poo which aren t mine btw
emy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 10:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Don't worry about the cats poo or anyother animals, that won't hurt him, if that were the case my Sting wouldn't have survived puppyhood. Just take care of the turtles, and if you handle the turtles or after you clean up after them, be careful to wash your hands before handling the pup or preparing food.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #16 (permalink)

@Mary Beth: Do you really think cat poo or any other kind of poo doesn't carry salmonella among other things? ALL poop, including your own, carries bacteria (Far more than just salmonella) and most carry parasites which worries me far more than bacteria. My dogs eat raw...They were made to have a better tolerance to bacteria than us. Parasites however are a worry considering some can cause serious destruction on the dogs health. Some can't be seen by just looking, things like coccidia and giardia could be shed through the poop of even a healthy animal. I wouldn't let a dog feast on poop of any kind. Sure, it happens...But I wouldn't just let it or be accepting of one type of poop over another. It's all a disgusting habit and all just as much of a risk for the dog as the next. I'd pick the turtle poop up before letting puppy out. Hopefully puppy isn't allowed out alone with your turtle, this is a risk to your puppy and turtle. Puppy could injure the turtle or if the turtle is big enough, it could injure the puppy.
SS-GSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I took care of box turtles where I work - so, yes, I know that they carry salmonella. But short of keeping the puppy indoors for this OP who has lots of wildlife, I would take the risk with other animals poop, and I would try to clean it up, but those "tasty" to my Sting's view, rabbit droppings are hard to find - they blend right in. In my view, it is a lot less risky until the pup has all the parvo shots than taking the pup in a public area where lots of dogs pooped. And course, I wouldn't just stand by the let the puppy eat the droppings but would redirect.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:18 PM   #18 (permalink)

Ok? And I keep turtles among other animals for a living. I'm really not sure what you're trying to get at. I never said the dog couldn't go outside. I was correcting your post when you implied that only turtles carry salmonella and that all other poop is safe to eat. All feces carries bacteria (Salmonella among others), parasites and disease. Don't let it get to ANY kind of feces be it turtle poop, another dogs poop, cat poop, ect. If the puppy can't control it's self and you can't pick up the poop, then keep the dog on a leash.

I know plenty about the 'tasty' temptations of poop, I live on a farm where there are dozens of varieties on the "snack bar". Not to mention we live in the woods where coyotes, deer, fox, rabbits, squirrels, ect roam. That doesn't mean I'm going to let my dog eat one variety over the other, not that I'd allow it at all. My dogs get corrected from the get go for attempting that, they learn to leave it alone and with proper training (ie. using a leash and reinforcing the leave it command) this puppy can learn too.

Last edited by SS-GSD; 02-11-2013 at 11:23 PM.
SS-GSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.