8 month old not eating as much, losing weight - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 8 month old not eating as much, losing weight

Hey Well my Axel is a 8 month old male and he is not eating as much as he usually did. His diet consist of 2 cups of eagle pack large breed puppy dry food and 1/4 of a can of eagle pack large breed wet food. He seems to not want to eat his dry food as much anymore. Hes always been fed like this though and always ate it all up until the last month id say. Im pretty sure the last time i weighed him he was 5 or 6 pounds heavier. But i do the standing on a scale while i hold him kind of weighing haha. Anybody have any suggestions on how i could get him to eat more. he was always a big puppy.also ive been walking him every day for about 2 miles and play with him in my yard. Ball tug of war etc.
any ideas?
jbgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

2 cups total, per day?
That's not much...Eagle Pack has a lot of corn, as well.

Do you have a vet clinic you can weigh him at? It would be more accurate, probably, than doing it the way you describe.

How are his stools?
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

im sorry i meant to say twice a day.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Does he have an issue with opening his mouth at all? Does he whine about it or not want to do it at all?

It could be his food. Gus stopped eating his food so I had to switch. I was feeding iams.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

I'd look at switching to something without corn, wheat, soy, or by-products.
Blue Buffalo foods have gained a lot of recognition, we also like (here in rescue) Kirkland from Costco, or Diamond Naturals, Wellness, etc.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

what would you say qould be the top three foods. Price isnt really a problem..yet haha
Old 02-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgsd View Post
what would you say qould be the top three foods. Price isnt really a problem..yet haha
Eagle Pak is a great food. I had my dogs on it for years and years and they did fine. The only reason I switched is because the store that carried it was closing and I was in a panic mode Have you thought about switching to the adult food? The food is of such quality that large breed dogs can have the adult formula at as early as 6 months. Mine got the purple bag(Lamb Meal and Rice). Eagle Pack is a 4 star food that is in the same price/quality category of lots of other foods that would be recommended. I don't think that the food is a problem, but I do think that the dog should get a vet check(if you are that concerned). You also have to remember that at 8 months, he is growing tall wise, putting on some weight, then growing upwards again...etc. Once he stops growing upwards, his weight will be easier to maintain.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound

Last edited by llombardo; 02-09-2013 at 08:04 AM.
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

You read this yet? ---> Pup doesn't want to eat (picky eater?)

My GSD also lost at least 5 pounds before I started following those tips.

Make sure it's not a medical issue though. I found my dog was still loving treats and delicious food, just not mealtimes so my vet confirmed she was medically fine.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

I've heard good things about Eagle pack but IMO, any food that uses corn in any form should be avoided. This is because corn is unusable by the body unless ground very finely and even then it doesn't have the nutrients a dog would need.
I like to see a lot of meat in dog foods.
What works for my dogs, though, may not work for yours, and vise-versa. The best thing to do is look at your own dog and if you're satisfied with how he looks, how he smells, if he eats, and how his poops are, then don't change foods.
If any of the above are off, then do something different.

Pay attention to labels.

Our 1st GSD used to get very soft stools when using Nutro which had a lot of corn in it, too.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

What helped me keep my pup eating were mixing the canned food into the kibble. I wouldn't just put it on as a topper, I'd mix it in all the way. It also helped me to keep a schedule and take the food away after 30 minutes.

One thing that worked for my friend to get her picky Aussie eating is that she took away the food, put the Aussie in the kennel and set the food plate right outside and brought over her Weimaraner to eat the food off the Aussie's plate. Now whenever the Aussie seems sluggish with her food she tells her that the Weimie is gonna eat it and it works like a charm.

And whenever we have any dog that isn't putting on weight I check for parasites, that's been the issue with some of our rescues.
Phoebes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.