9 months old no appetite - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 12:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 9 months old no appetite

My nine month old puppy Trooper has lost his appetite. Is there anything to do to increase his appetite? Eats a little each day, was vomiting a yellow liquid but vet said it was from not eating. Gave him an Antacid (Pepcid). There is a slight weight loss and we did change his food to Blue Buffalo chicken and brown rice. Adult.
KodySaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 01:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Did you get a chance to look at this yet ---> Pup doesn't want to eat (picky eater?)

As long as a vet visit says your dog is otherwise healthy, picky GSD's are NOT uncommon. I know my dog lost over 5 pounds when she was already too skinny when I just tried to tough it out instead of adding food she DID like to her meals.

Look at the site for other good ideas to get your pup to start eating again.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 01:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My male will eat fine for awhile and then there will be a day when he does not want to eat. He also will upchuck yellow bile of a morning if he does not get to eat shortly after getting up. They get wet food mixed with kibble, but sometimes I add some type of meat that is left over from supper.

Hope that your boy starts eating better, it always scares me to think they are losing weight and not knowing why.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Will he eat a bland diet (white rice and boiled chicken or cottage cheese)? I would guess you need to know if he is picky or has lost his appetite for all foods.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 05:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodySaber View Post
My nine month old puppy Trooper has lost his appetite. Is there anything to do to increase his appetite? Eats a little each day, was vomiting a yellow liquid but vet said it was from not eating. Gave him an Antacid (Pepcid). There is a slight weight loss and we did change his food to Blue Buffalo chicken and brown rice. Adult.
My experience is limited to raising three GSDs, but for me one thing is a common denominator: They need variety in their diet, a change every day or two.. Your upchuck is bile, and he needs to be fed earlier in the morning and he wil put that digestive juice to good work. Try some Raw Diet additives to your regime, all raw, chicken thigh on the bone, chicken carcasses, red meat on the bone like a cheap Y-bone or Blade steak chuck, maybe get some cheap cut of lamb and cartilage (although mine do not like much lamb fat and it is only good once a week or two) Also try some scrambled eggs. They get bored and picky.

Look, if I gave you your favorite food every day, you would soon not like it. Variety is the issue. After a day or two of Raw diet, not only will your dog be healthier as the kibble is easy but shortens their life, not only will he be getting a big immunity boost for coat and skin and joints and such, but after a couple of days he will probably chow into your dry food again. You may just have to add this variety, and see if he perks up on appetite. I know, ALL of mine are just like this..

Even take home a cheap BBQ chicken every few weeks.. Don't give him any leg or larger bones, but strip the thigh and leg meat and share with him, breast and so on, and the cooked carcass is OK... Mine LOVE to share a lunch like that with me every couple of weeks. I put my meat in a slice of bread, preferably with a glass of wine, and we eat the whole thing leaving only leg and larger bones...

Variety is the key, they get bored and picky with the same old thing. You can only get them on the same boring diet only if you work them hard, as by nightfall they will chow into ANYTHING... If for some reason you can't vary their diet, a large dose of exercise always seems to work wonders, and they will put on muscle...

Kind regards, and P.S. my senior dog was dying, and with only three weeks off kibble (dry food) and on the Raw Diet, he is perking up and LOOKIN GOOD!!

"Dances with Wolves" as best as I can with GSDs and Horses in Australia...
lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 06:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone Ranger View Post
Even take home a cheap BBQ chicken every few weeks.. Don't give him any leg or larger bones, but strip the thigh and leg meat and share with him, breast and so on, and the cooked carcass is OK...
Sorry but COOKED chicken bones are NOT ok.

Raw chicken bones are fine but when cooked they dry out and become brittle. These bones can cause problems for your dogs digestive system.

So, since raw chicken bones are fine stick with those and don't take the gamble on cooked bones.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 06:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodySaber View Post
Is the dog pooping ok?

Did the dog ingest anything out of the ordinary? Is it possible the dog could have without your notice (like a sock)?

How is the dog otherwise? Active? Drinking water? Will he eat treats or other things (other than the kibble)?

Has he always been a good eater?

I am very aware of my dogs normal eating habits. That way I know when something is wrong. If Mauser, my GSD, was to skip a meal I don't worry - he does that every now and then. But if Winnie, my Corgi mix, skipped one - as in showed NO interest in food - I would have her out the door and on the way to the vets instantly. She is a serious eater and turning her nose up at food would be a serious issue for her.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 06:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri & The Gang View Post
Sorry but COOKED chicken bones are NOT ok.

Sorry, maybe you are misunderstanding my advice, or we will have to disagree:

Carcass,not legs or wings, carcass: Mostly cartilege and soft thin bones, baked moist and soft... It is in a roast chicken, been doing it for ten years with two Shepherds... Nothing brittle, is all soft.. Not Leg or any larger bones, but the stripped moist baked carcass without larger bones has been just fine....Ten years with two dogs, what 50-100 times? They LOVE it....

Kind regards, Dancing with Wolves... heh he
lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
They need variety in their diet, a change every day or two..
I've had dozens of GSDs and other breeds in and out of my house and not one of them required variety, toppings or other tricks to get them to eat. They eat the same kibble every day for a year or more at a time.

Pick a kibble and stick with it. As long as your dog is healthy, he will not starve himself.

The bile is from waiting too long in between meals.

Was the switch to BB when he stopped eating or did you switch because he wasn't eating?

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

when did he stop eating before or after switching
to Blue? maybe he doesn't like what you're feeding him.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.