9 months old no appetite - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master Member

Try adding a bit of raw green tripe to his kibble, I bet money that will get his attention

Beef Tripe 2 lb. container [BT-2] - $5.80 : A Place For Paws, Shop RAW Pet Food Online
Jo Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

Default 9 month old no appetite

I want to thank everyone for their responses.
KodySaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 01:53 AM   #13 (permalink)

My experience with my boy is he's gone through days with low appetite. He is also 9 months old and actually just went through a day of not eating his food at all and a couple days of not eating very much about 2 weeks ago. He would eat treats though and I'll give him food as treats too when we're training.
I stick to the instructions a few trainers have given me to not leave him his food plate for more than 30 minutes but still give him food 2x a day - I've been told it helps make picky eaters learn they have to eat when served.
When he's gone underweight, I add a few treats or a scoop or two of canned food or toppers. If there's any sign of digestive upset I've mixed in a scoop of organic nonfat plain yogurt or pumpkin puree - whichever I had at hand, and he loves both so he gobbles his food then.
Good luck with your boy. Was he otherwise ok with the BB or did this start when you switched his food?
Phoebes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post
I've had dozens of GSDs and other breeds in and out of my house and not one of them required variety, toppings or other tricks to get them to eat. They eat the same kibble every day for a year or more at a time.

Pick a kibble and stick with it. As long as your dog is healthy, he will not starve himself.

The bile is from waiting too long in between meals.

Was the switch to BB when he stopped eating or did you switch because he wasn't eating?
I agree.

Variety can actually upset the tummy (why they suggest changing food very gradually). It can also create a picky eater.

Have you had an xray done, OP? Did the dog ingest anything?

How are the poops? Is your dog running a fever? My puppy went off her food and was throwing up when she had a bad giardia infection.

Hope you can figure this out soon!
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.