Puppy body condition score - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #31 (permalink)
Elite Member

Uhg I'm sorry! My golden poodle who was a rescue came home with giardia and gave it to my other dogs before we knew he had it... WHAT a nightmare, took many attempts to get rid of it - eventually we did dose with both. I feel for you and good luck and I hope she recovers soon!

On second viewing I do now think she looks a little bit too ribby but much better then being overweight, she could probably stand to gain a little... Probably the giardia wasn't helping any either!

Last edited by Carriesue; 01-23-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Carriesue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshep View Post
Well, she's got giardia.

Either again, or didn't fully clear it, even though the fecal test came back negative last time. Maybe just had low numbers so they missed it, but then came back?

That explains a lot actually. How do I get rid of it?! I have cleaned all her bedding, I mop the floor with Lysol cleaner almost daily. I gave her a bath even, washed her toys and bowls. ARGH!

This time I'm using Panacur, I used Metro last time and it really upset her tummy. I think my vet doesn't believe me on that point either.
In case you don't know, giardia is often picked up from stagnant water, so your dog is probably picking it up outside if one course of antibiotics is actually clearing the infection. My last dog had multiple bouts of giardia - he kept picking it up by drinking from rain puddles. Every time I slipped and he managed to drink from one, he'd get it again.
stealthq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #33 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshep View Post
I haven't picked her & meds up yet.

Last time I just got the Metro.

What were her symptoms on the Metro? Really bad diarrhea. As in, the giardia was better than the cure

They are just giving me Panacur this time and we'll recheck and discuss trying Metro again, if it doesn't clear.

I don't get why they use an antibiotic for giardia, isn't it a parasite?
Metronidazole, being a "zole" family drug, is used for protozoan infections, and has excellent properties in the stomach. Panacur is "fenbendazole", another "zole" class drug.

I'm guessing the giardia was causing the diarrhea more than the metronidazole, but it could have exacerbated the diarrhea a bit.
We give metro routinely here in rescue for "non specific" diarrhea, that is, no protozoan like giardia or coccidia or parvo, just a stomach bug kind of thing.

In fact my brother is taking metro right now along with cipro for some stomach illness he has.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #34 (permalink)

Usually metro/flagyl helps with diarrhea, and like msvette I've used it on my dogs when they have diarrhea for more than 24 hours and it has always helped, but I've heard several times that Panacur is better for treating giardia so I'd start with that.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #35 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I looked up the side effects of Metro and apparently a rare side effect is bad diarrhea, I think she had that. Two days after she was done it, her poops were totally normal.

She doesn't really drink from puddles, I always have her on leash, so I can control that. Plus is about -25 degrees celcius today, so puddles are VERY frozen, including the cold water piping in my bathroom this morning I think it's likely she's getting it from her daycare. I'm not blaming them, it's just not a sterile environment and she's exposed to a lot of dogs.

Man, this giardia is a beyatch! I hate it so much!

It totally explains why she's not been gaining weight. Ugh. Poor dog! And poor me, because medicating her is no picnic! Ha ha

WAH!
blackshep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #36 (permalink)
Banned

OH yeah daycare would explain it, and dog parks.
Pancur is either powder (?) or paste(?). Or a liquid. Mix it in her food?
I like to do that with dogs on a medication for a short time. I finally broke down and got "pill pockets" for my Doxie who's now on heart meds for life. However I rip the pill pockets apart to tiny shreds to make the pill pockets last longer! LOL
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #37 (permalink)
Elite Member

Is it possible some probiotics might help while she's on it? When I'm on antibiotics, it reeks havoc on my digestive tract but probiotics seem to help... Maybe some yogurt in her food or get some probiotics from the vet?
Old 01-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #38 (permalink)
Knighted Member

She's not on Metro this time, so I'll see how she handles the panacur. The yougurt is a good idea
Old 01-24-2013, 07:57 AM   #39 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well some good news, she likes the taste of the panacur liquid, so it's not nearly as bad to give her and the Metro tablets Ha ha
Old 01-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #40 (permalink)

The last study I ready said fenbendazole is about 90% effective in treating giardia whereas metronidazole is about 67%.
It is a crummy thing to deal with.
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.