Can you feed just raw meat, nothing else? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Can you feed just raw meat, nothing else?

Hi folks,

All rigth I am very green at this, the last dog I had was fed kibbles and that was it. Lived long and happy! :-)

As we are looking for a WL GSD, I want to make sure we feed him good.

A company here sells meat for dogs (improper for consumption by humans) that is packaged in blocks about the size of a pound of butter, sealed.

That's what a breeder around here gives his dogs and from what I gather, it is even cheaper than to buy any kind of kibbles.

My question is the following: Do dogs really need to eat other things than meat? If I would go with the aformentioned option, would I need to start adding veggies, yogurt, vitamins or else?

If so, I just don't think it would realistically work for us and I would probably buy the Kirkland brand at Costco, which apparently ranks better than many supposedly high-end brands (or brands marketed as such).

I don't know, I figure dogs, if they lived in the wild, would probably not eat carrots, veggies, fish oil or even fishes, they would eat MEAT.

What is your opinion? Am I completely off track?

Thanking you in advance for your educated advice.

Last edited by RushGSD; 12-20-2012 at 07:40 PM.
RushGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

As long as you feed different cuts, types, and various sources of protein, all meat diet is fine. Organ, muscle, bone meat should be fed in proper proportions and protein sources should be varied.

B.A.R.F./Raw Feeding - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Raw Feeding FAQs
Our Dogs Menus
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Yes, dogs can eat just meat and survive as long as you feed the right amounts of muscle meat, organ meat, and (raw) edible bones. No veggies or whatever else needed.

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
Verivus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 07:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
As long as you feed different cuts, types, and various sources of protein, all meat diet is fine. Organ, muscle, bone meat should be fed in proper proportions and protein sources should be varied.
Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated!
Assuming that the meat the company sells is a combination of meat, fat, bones tripes, etc. (I would be surprized that it would be 100% meat, and lean), would this be considered acceptable (I will for sure inquire to this company to see what it is and if their mix is consistent over time)?
Old 12-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushGSD View Post
Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated!
Assuming that the meat the company sells is a combination of meat, fat, bones tripes, etc. (I would be surprized that it would be 100% meat, and lean), would this be considered acceptable (I will for sure inquire to this company to see what it is and if their mix is consistent over time)?
It depends. Some mixes are complete and some are not. Some mixes are too high in bone content, some are too low. Do not assume it is complete; ask for the ratios and ingredients in the mix.

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
Verivus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Which company and what are the ratios? Remember the ratio has to be correct - bone to muscle to organ meat so the dog gets complete nutrition. And variety in protein is very important.
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
Which company and what are the ratios? Remember the ratio has to be correct - bone to muscle to organ meat so the dog gets complete nutrition. And variety in protein is very important.
I will need to call this breeder back to have the company's info. When I visited him, we were still debating the breed we wanted and at that point, diet was not even on our mind. Now that we have decided we wanted a WL GSD, the conversation about the raw diet resonated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.