I know it's been beat to death but I still need to ask - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demofficer1988 View Post
The puppy isnt eating any dog food right now I plan on taking this to the breeder and telling him this is what I plan on feeding him to please start him on it so there wont have a be a transition when I bring him home.
Frankly, as a breeder, I wouldn't do that. Puppies eat the same food, usually in a large dish, and the competition makes them more likely to scarf it down. So it is not like you take your puppy -- you're getting it at six weeks old, and separate it from the group, and feed it something different.

Also puppies that age will still be drinking some of what mom provides. Oh, they can eat solid food and can survive without the dams milk at that point, but mine continue to nurse for as long as she lets them, which is eight weeks minimum.

Mom, in turn, finishes off whatever the puppies don't eat. And while a breeder might consider weaning a litter on your food of choice, the idea of putting his dam on different food, while the pups are lactating, and expecting her to transition -- not happening.

But if your breeder is willing, I guess more power to you.

BTW, I would skip Canidae, Wellness might be ok, but it is made by diamond which makes Canidae. I did not realize Canidae had a large breed food. Just all life stages. But things may have changed since I fed it. I have heard good things from the Wellness SuperMix 5. Nutro is a mediocre food at a premium price. I really don't think the ultra is much better than the natural choice, but I will look at it again. Lots of people like Blue. I have never fed it, and I don't know who manufactures it.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master Member

Canidae has their own facility now, though Diamond may still make some of their food. Wellness contracted out a very small portion of its manufacturing to Diamond, and that contract ended right after the big recall ... They make all their own food now, as far as I know. Blue Buffalo does not divulge who manufactures for them and last I knew their manufacturing was done by at least a couple different outside companies ... The main reason I'd never feed Blue. Nutro just flat out makes me nervous, with all the reports of animals getting sick on their food ... I don't trust them and would never, personally, feed any of their foods.
Ken Clean-Air System is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I forgot that Wellness and Canidae were jumping ship. Who am I to talk though, I feed Diamond. Seems to be the best bang for your buck that is readily attainable around here.

My dogs have gotten sick on Canidae and on Nutro. On your list I would pick the Wellness.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Old 12-20-2012, 11:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

I read where a lot of people say the food amount guidelines on the bags ar are way off so how do i know how much I need to be feeding him as he is growing?

Last edited by demofficer1988; 12-20-2012 at 11:31 PM.
demofficer1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 11:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

I like Blue Buffalo but we have smaller breeds. We use Solid Gold now for one of our smaller dogs.
Wellness and Canidae would be good as well, and as Jakoda mentioned, we feed our own Kirkland Signature from Costco, and they do fine on it (it's basically Diamond Naturals packed for Costco).
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 11:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Use the amount on the bag as a guide. If your pup is higher energy, give him the upper amount, if he is lower energy give him the lower amount:3.5 - 4 cups/3-4 servings. Ok, now what does the pup do, how much does he eat before leaving the dish to look at other stuff. If he licks the bowl, maybe he needs a little more, if he leaves a little, maybe go scant measures. Check his condition often, and reduce food if you are supplementing with meat or treats.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Old 12-21-2012, 12:18 AM   #17 (permalink)

Okay that makes sense
demofficer1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 12:28 AM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member

Have you looked into Orijen? It's not on your list, but I have had GREAT success feeding it to my dog. She eats one 70 dollar bag per month, and only eats 3 cups a day (2.5 cups when she was younger). Her poops are tiny, compact, and GREAT. If you are going into the 40-50 range a month for your dog, you might want to consider upping it by less than a dollar a day and going for the Orijen. They are made in Canada, and I haven't had any problems to date in terms of recall.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:39 AM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Here are some alternative foods , Carna4 | Hand Crafted Pet Food. Synthetic Free, All Natural Dog Food , products that this shop carries What we carry

new to market Orijen raw freeze dried Orijen Freeze Dried Dog food - ONLY4PETS Orijen

or raw fed

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 12:47 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by demofficer1988 View Post
I read where a lot of people say the food amount guidelines on the bags ar are way off so how do i know how much I need to be feeding him as he is growing?

If I fed my boy according to the guidelines he would be nothing but skin and bones. As with people, individual metabolism and level of activity play a large part in necessary caloric intake.

Pay attention to your pups overall physique and adjust as needed.
Finnick<3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.