What to do about my puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012, 06:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What to do about my puppy

I picked up my 4 month old GSD Chewbacca afew days ago and he is not eating the doggy treats we want to use for training. He has also been having some nasty diarrhea. I know that it's to be expected with him trying to get adjusted to new surroundings. I am using the Japanese brand dog food that Chewy is use to and will eventually transition him to an American brand dog food when his stomach gets better. Chewy also gets plenty of attention from my girlfriend, her daughter and myself. I also take him out for walks 4-5 times a day (after meals and before bed and work). We have tried a variety of different treats for him and he is not liking any of them. Does anyone have any tricks/tips for us to try out. I haven't tried cut up raw hotdogs and ground beef. I think this is my next stop. If that is a bad idea please let my know, thanks.
Goofybilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to SpikeZombie

I would honestly take him to the vet. Mine was the same way and I got him from a breeder /: Turnabout he had some (very minor) parasites. I got medicine for 10 days. He is now pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
SpikeZombie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

I'd second the vet trip if the diarrhea doesn't clear. You could try putting him on browned ground beef or chicken with brown rice for a few days, that usually clears up diarrhea in our dogs.

But he may have some parasites too.

As for the treats, my dogs have always (even the picky ones) liked hot dog treats. One of the first obedience trainers we used recommended quartering hot dogs lengthwise and then slicing thinly and microwaving until they were dry, probably a minute should do (It's been a while since I made them!). They can store easily in a training treat pouch that way. They're lower in calories and very very small so it keeps your dog from overeating as badly. And because you're basically making jerky out of them, they keep well. But I'd recommend only doing one dog at a time.
Odin (GSD 8/28/13)
Cosmo-space cat
Chess-fuzzy cat
Valentine-our ragdoll cat
Two great skin kids
3dognite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 11:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Went to the vet

I talked to my vet and he told me to put some pumpkin paste in Chewys food about a tablespoon a scoop. He said it should do the trick. I am going to give him a day or two to see if his system clears out. If not I am going to get some tests run. I do know he loves the pumpkin though. Chewy is eating small but at least he is getting something in his belly. As for the hot dogs once his stomach is in good shape I'll definitely use them. I appreciate the help. I'll post if he has any changes.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Another option for a treat is string cheese/mozzarella cheese (if you have it in Japan). Hotdogs are full of preservatives, salt and processed meat. String cheese is low in fat and full of calcium for growing puppies. It is often gentler on their tummies.

Sabra - female GSD - born April 30, 2012
Sargeant - rescued senior GSD male/foster failure - approximately ten years old (August 2013)
Max - rescued GSD - Dec 22, 2010 to March 7, 2012 - at the bridge
Sable - rescued GSD - at the bridge
WVGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVGSD View Post
Another option for a treat is string cheese/mozzarella cheese (if you have it in Japan). Hotdogs are full of preservatives, salt and processed meat. String cheese is low in fat and full of calcium for growing puppies. It is often gentler on their tummies.
One of the guys at our obedience training used those mozzarella string cheese stick, they were easy to peel off just a little at a time.
Odin (GSD 8/28/13)
Cosmo-space cat
Chess-fuzzy cat
Valentine-our ragdoll cat
Two great skin kids
3dognite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 02:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default Update

Hey,

I just wanted to let you all know that I took Chewy to the vet and afew of you were right. Chewy did have a parasite running in his system. I can't remember the name off the top of my head. I was able to getting him some meds to help clear his system out. I was able to get him to start eating again with a mix of cooked chicken and brown rice. I had a hard time getting him to eat the rice so I poured a little turkey broth on them while I cooked the rice to disguise it a bit. This morning when I got back from work Chewy was back to his normal active self. I'm going to have to invest in some good running shoes with as much excersizes this pup is going to need. Thanks everyone for the advice I really do appreciate it-GoofyBilly
Old 12-19-2012, 02:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default Hot dogs vs mozzarella cheese

3dognite and WVGSD both of your methods for training treats are a hit with Chewy. I think I will go with the string cheese for now though on the normal training i.e. sit, stay, lay down. The added protein and calcium from the cheese will Benifits Chewy better a such a young age. I will keep a stash of hot dog jerky around for while I potty train him that way he will see it as a special treat for when he goes outside. Thank you both for your advice I do appreciate it - GoofyBilly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.