what do i try next? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
Yes, I agree you will want to get her tested for worms. All the vet needs is a teaspoon of her loose stool. I use a plastic spoon and put spoon with the stool in a small ziplock freezer bag. Also when you do change food to do it very slowly - mixing in the new with the old and increasing the ratio of new to old over a period of 2 - 3 weeks. You may want to try Solid Gold Wolf Cub - it is for large breed puppies. It has bison and fish. No wheat, no soybeans, no corn, no animal fat, no poultry fat, no by-products, no sugar added, no preservatives added, no salt, no sunflower oil. You may also want to add a prebiotic like OptaGest. If your pup likes yogurt (plain with the live cultures) you can also give that to help the digestion. For how much to feed start with the recommendations on the package and see how your pup does. It could also be too much pumpkin - it has a lot of fiber like sweet potato, when my Sting was a pup, he loved those sweet potato chews - but they give him loose stools, so I stopped.
I might try that solid gold wild club, i tried giving her plain yogurt a few weeks ago and it gave her bad diarrhea
coulter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

If you haven't already, I would have a vet check her out to make sure she doesn't have parasites or something else going on.

I had the same problem with my dog when she was a puppy. I dealt with it until she was almost a year old before someone suggested I take her off all chicken products. I did that and after a ground beef/rice mixture for a few days I started her on Blue Buffalo Basics Salmon and Potato dry food. Since I've gotten her on a "salmon" food, she hasn't had any diarrhea issues at all.
Pattycakes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

Can someone give me info on feeding ground beef and rice? What to buy and how to prepare
Old 12-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

I will try to buy the extra lean ground beef and cook it. Once its done I drain off all the fat and let it cool. While the ground beef is cooking I make up a batch of rice. I use Uncle Bens rice. I will feed 1/4 cup of ground beef and a 1/4 cut of rice and mix it together. Then once I see that my dog is tolerating the ground beef and rice I will up it until I am feeding the amount that I normally would feed my dog her dry food. I usually keep her on that for 3-4 days and then I slowly introduce the dry food back into her diet. Usually 1/4 cup of dry mixed in with the 1 1/4 cup of ground beef/rice mixture. Then I slowly up the dry food and decrease the ground beef/rice mixture until she is eating only the dry food.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattycakes View Post
I will try to buy the extra lean ground beef and cook it. Once its done I drain off all the fat and let it cool. While the ground beef is cooking I make up a batch of rice. I use Uncle Bens rice. I will feed 1/4 cup of ground beef and a 1/4 cut of rice and mix it together. Then once I see that my dog is tolerating the ground beef and rice I will up it until I am feeding the amount that I normally would feed my dog her dry food. I usually keep her on that for 3-4 days and then I slowly introduce the dry food back into her diet. Usually 1/4 cup of dry mixed in with the 1 1/4 cup of ground beef/rice mixture. Then I slowly up the dry food and decrease the ground beef/rice mixture until she is eating only the dry food.
White or brown rice? And do you cook it according to directions on the box? Then feed her it?
Old 12-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

I use white rice. Yes...cooked according to directions. I mix it with the ground beef once its cooled off.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #17 (permalink)

I'm going to try this tonight
Old 12-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

BOIL the beef, and then pour off the water.

I'm wondering if your girl is developing EPI.
Read through and see what you think.

Overview - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD

I buy cheap bagged rice, brown or white is fine to use. I would double cook it which is basically just cooking it in double the recommended water until it's a "mush".

Also, you can get Solid Gold Wolf King for a couple bucks cheaper than Wolf Cub. I raised Chance on it when he was a pup and he did great. It's roughly the same food as the Wolf Cub only a few ingredients are swapped around on the list and the Wolf Cub is higher protein and fat than Wolf King. You don't need to feed a puppy food, an adult food will work just fine. I fed the Just a Wee Bit formula to my small dogs as well and they did great on it too, some even produced the lovely "white poop". (It'd come out a solid brown and after a day or so would turn white and crumble so I didn't have clean up! Lol!) It too is the same formula as Wolf King/Wolf Cub just a couple ingredients are switched around from the other two formulas and a very small kibble compared to the other 2.
ChancetheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

We use Solid Gold for puppies here (especially small breed and orphans), and now my Dachshund is on it as it's one of the few without added salt (he's got CHF). His is Bark at the Moon I believe.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.