Dog/cat food aggression - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dog/cat food aggression

The cats and dog go round and round sometimes through the house. Our big tomcat will play back and start chasing the dog. The other cat is a female and she just runs off and hides from the dog. Tonight was the second time we have given Shekby, our 15 week old GSD, some pumpkin purée mixed into her food. All the tapping on the bowl to mix it in her food got the cats attention. Our tomcat walked over while Shelby was diving in and the reaction was bad. It was full on attack mode towards the cat. I separated them and then checked to see how she reacted with me and then my wife petting her as she ate. She was completely fine with being rubbed on her paws, legs, back, and head. It's probably best to keep the cat away during feeding anyways but just wanted to get thoughts from everyone. Should I stop the dog cat chasing through the house or is it healthy play time?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
tsfarling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My GSD is now 14 months and she has always chased the cats. It is play time in her mind. She leaves them when I tell her leave it with no problems. She can be chewing on a bone and the cat can walk up to her, rub up against her, and share that bone. I'm positive that if the cat took her bone she would not react by growling or biting. She would watch the cat, follow the cat, talk to the cat, then if all of that fails she will come to me and tell on the cat. In saying that I try to keep them separated, so that they can each eat in peace. But I know that if by accident one approaches the other, there will be no problems. The puppy needs to be taught that its not good to react that way. You don't want the puppy to react that way either. Not to you, other people, other dogs, or cats.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC
Brennan- Golden Retriever

"A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you
more than he loves himself."
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

I was glad that she didn't react that way with us. Ive always pet her when giving her food to avoid that and test her to see how she'd react. I wonder what else I could do to help eliminate that behavior. Thanks for your reply.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsfarling View Post
I was glad that she didn't react that way with us. Ive always pet her when giving her food to avoid that and test her to see how she'd react. I wonder what else I could do to help eliminate that behavior. Thanks for your reply.

My last two dogs have been trained using positive training. In certain situations, this being one of them, I would step up the training. Now is the time to teach the puppy. You don't want a full grown GSD to react that way towards the cat, it can kill the cat and not even know what its doing. Right now, firm no's and dislike towards the behavior might help. In this situation, I would have immediately took the food away or not given it to the GSD with a very firm no. After the situation calmed down I would have given the food to the GSD and brought the cat in the area(holding the cat), so the GSD knows its okay for the cat to be there. Repeat until there is no reaction. Even if the situation never comes up again, you need to make sure the cat is safe. Lets face it, cats think they rule the house and will do whatever they want..its alot easier to train the dog
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC
Brennan- Golden Retriever

"A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you
more than he loves himself."
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

I did remover her food briefly but didn't bring the cat back in. I will definitely try this next time I see the situation unfolding. I'm not sure if it will the. My usually tough, 17lb tomcat, looked like he just used up one of his 9 lives after that encounter. Ha!

Old 11-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

you find your cat being attacked by a german shepherd funny?
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

I found the look on my cats face hilarious. If you knew my cat It would make more sense. He's a bit of a tough guy and used to think he ran things until Shelby came home. I don't think the situation overall is funny in any way shape or form. It could be a deadly situation, especially as she gets older. My cats have full claws and I've let my GSD experience them from both cats so she knows her boundaries and she has respected them until it came to the food ordeal. It is an easy fix though. I just need to keep the cats away when she is getting a special meal like the pumpkin purée. They heard the tapping and mixing of food and that usually means a fantastic treat for them. They have never approached her normal dry food bowl.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pets4life View Post
you find your cat being attacked by a german shepherd funny?

Chill- it's just a cat!!!!!!! More seriously, it didn't appear that the dog "attacked" the cat. If a GSD (or other large dog) attacks a cat = dead cat).

just telling the cat "I don't share my food!".

yes, got to train the dog to accept it but also teach the cat it is not wise to try it.
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsfarling View Post
I found the look on my cats face hilarious. If you knew my cat It would make more sense. He's a bit of a tough guy and used to think he ran things until Shelby came home. I don't think the situation overall is funny in any way shape or form. It could be a deadly situation, especially as she gets older. My cats have full claws and I've let my GSD experience them from both cats so she knows her boundaries and she has respected them until it came to the food ordeal. It is an easy fix though. I just need to keep the cats away when she is getting a special meal like the pumpkin purée. They heard the tapping and mixing of food and that usually means a fantastic treat for them. They have never approached her normal dry food bowl.

Rather than just keeping them apart, I would work on training both just in case.
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

I took the food bowl tonight and got them both interested. I set it down on the floor by both of them and nothing happened. I'll keep doing this so it's not such a shock to the dog to see the cat near her bowl.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.