Dog/cat food aggression - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

And correction, to my first post...full on attack mode actually wasn't attack mode. It was an angry growl and jaws snapping in the direction of the cat. Shelby never actually touched the cat with her mouth. I was just out of the incident and now realized I could have worded that better.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
tsfarling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsfarling View Post
I took the food bowl tonight and got them both interested. I set it down on the floor by both of them and nothing happened. I'll keep doing this so it's not such a shock to the dog to see the cat near her bowl.

This is good. Since you are doing this, you can up the value of the food. Take some boiled chicken and feed both together...The pup needs to learn that no matter what is in the bowl it's not acceptable to react. Its good to do this because the puppy is young enough to train how you like.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

Brought home a new roast beef flavored Nylabone and tried to let one of the cats be around. It did not turn out well at all. I let both sniff it and Shelby immediately went into death stare at the cat. I removed the bone but lost the grip on the dog and she started her territorial bark and chased the cat off. She didn't just do a short chase to scare her off. She was going after her. I'm worried now more than before because I know the male cat wouldn't run. He'd stay and shred her face. Not a good situation. Please help! Should I give up on making peace and let cats stay away during the food and special toy time?

Old 11-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsfarling View Post
Brought home a new roast beef flavored Nylabone and tried to let one of the cats be around. It did not turn out well at all. I let both sniff it and Shelby immediately went into death stare at the cat. I removed the bone but lost the grip on the dog and she started her territorial bark and chased the cat off. She didn't just do a short chase to scare her off. She was going after her. I'm worried now more than before because I know the male cat wouldn't run. He'd stay and shred her face. Not a good situation. Please help! Should I give up on making peace and let cats stay away during the food and special toy time?

I suspect that if the cat stayed and fought your problem would be half over! (Not well though! as the cat would be dead)

Is there any pro trainer that you can contact there who can actually be with you to advise?
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

We can't get her into any classes until February if we go with the best in the area. So frustrating!

Old 11-28-2012, 10:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

For now I would give bones in her crate only. She is resource guarding. I would work with her, using positive reinforcement, that it is ok for the cats to be around when she has something really good. So, put her in her crate with the cats in the room. When the cats go by and she doesn't react reward her with something better than her bone (like sliced chicken) and reward the cat too. The idea is that you want her to associate the cats with good things, not bad (as in the food getting taken away, etc.).

Ultimately, as you realize, you have to protect your cats.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:51 PM   #17 (permalink)

On a side note, she just had a regular interaction with the male cat in which she slowly approached the cat, he meowed, step towards her, and she did an immediate 180 away from the cat. it's only a food aggression and its only food aggression towards the cats.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowWowMeow View Post
For now I would give bones in her crate only. She is resource guarding. I would work with her, using positive reinforcement, that it is ok for the cats to be around when she has something really good. So, put her in her crate with the cats in the room. When the cats go by and she doesn't react reward her with something better than her bone (like sliced chicken) and reward the cat too. The idea is that you want her to associate the cats with good things, not bad (as in the food getting taken away, etc.).

Ultimately, as you realize, you have to protect your cats.
This is good advice. 15 weeks is kinda young to do this and keep doing it I would find a class that was half way decent and get her going on basics, socialization, etc. You can take her to the classes that you want in February, but I would do something now to tide you over.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 11:41 PM   #19 (permalink)

I had an idea about this tonight. I might try using a mirror by her bowl. Dogs react to mirrors and this removes the possibility of hitting the dog cat relationship. I'll try using the mirror first then I'm going to do the cat food on a plate in neutral territory and dog on a leash trick after that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.