German Shepherds Forum banner

Changing food from Royal to Orijen

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  TrentL 
#1 ·
So we have been OH so slowly changing his food over (like .25 cups a week) and one thing we have started to notice is while on Royal Canine he would eliminate in one spot.

Now he eliminates then moves a couple of feet and has to go again. The first is always solid, the second is not... (Thank god its cold ... pick it up the next day its a puck :p)

Just wondering if that's normal or not.

#2 ·
I wouldn't be surprised because I've heard Orijen is extremely rich and it seems most dogs (from what I've read) would probably end up with soft stools from it.

If it's too rich for your pup, do what I did and go with Acana (same parent company - Champion, I believe), it's a grain free food, just has a bit less protein and it seems easier for the dogs to digest. GSD's tend to have sensitive stomach's too, relatively speaking, so I'm not surprised with the runny stools at all.

If you want something of similar quality to Orijen but easier on your pups stomach, go with Acana. (this is what was suggested to me by the person at the store as well)

My guy is on Wild Prairie from them and is doing extremely well on it for the past 2.5 months, not completely rock solid stools, but good enough, and more importantly I noticed a big spike in his energy when I started switching him to it, and his coat is fantastic.

If the store carries Orijen, they most likely will have Acana as well and they shouldn't have any issues with you asking to exchange the bags.

#3 ·
How long have you been doing the switch for? Orijen is a much much higher quality food then Royal so I imagine it will take some time for his system to get used to it.

I would say give it a month or two and if you're still having problems then Acana would be a good alternative too. But I think when switching their diets around soft stools is normal I think.

I'm in the process of switching my pup from California natural to orijen and am having the same issue at the moment but I only just started the slow switch a week ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.