Changing food from Royal to Orijen - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Changing food from Royal to Orijen

So we have been OH so slowly changing his food over (like .25 cups a week) and one thing we have started to notice is while on Royal Canine he would eliminate in one spot.

Now he eliminates then moves a couple of feet and has to go again. The first is always solid, the second is not... (Thank god its cold ... pick it up the next day its a puck :P)

Just wondering if that's normal or not.
TrentL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

I wouldn't be surprised because I've heard Orijen is extremely rich and it seems most dogs (from what I've read) would probably end up with soft stools from it.

If it's too rich for your pup, do what I did and go with Acana (same parent company - Champion, I believe), it's a grain free food, just has a bit less protein and it seems easier for the dogs to digest. GSD's tend to have sensitive stomach's too, relatively speaking, so I'm not surprised with the runny stools at all.

If you want something of similar quality to Orijen but easier on your pups stomach, go with Acana. (this is what was suggested to me by the person at the store as well)

My guy is on Wild Prairie from them and is doing extremely well on it for the past 2.5 months, not completely rock solid stools, but good enough, and more importantly I noticed a big spike in his energy when I started switching him to it, and his coat is fantastic.

If the store carries Orijen, they most likely will have Acana as well and they shouldn't have any issues with you asking to exchange the bags.
reck0n3r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

How long have you been doing the switch for? Orijen is a much much higher quality food then Royal so I imagine it will take some time for his system to get used to it.

I would say give it a month or two and if you're still having problems then Acana would be a good alternative too. But I think when switching their diets around soft stools is normal I think.

I'm in the process of switching my pup from California natural to orijen and am having the same issue at the moment but I only just started the slow switch a week ago.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

I'm having this problem as well (except mine won't harden the next day ..lol) Switching from Pro Plan to Fromm LBP. I think I moved a little too fast with it. Very runny stool.

Did you try adding some pumpkin? It's supposed to help but I'm not seeing any change in my case.
FrankieC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

We are on I honk week 2-3 of slowly changing his food over

We will give it more time to aee
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.