Tess is Scratching a Lot, Could it be her Food? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If the scratching was only during training, I'd say it was stress. But in the middle of playing, probably not. Hope you get some answers soon.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #12 (permalink)

I was curious about the Frontline myself and thinking about eventually switching to Advantix, although I have been using Frontline for years and never had a flea problem with any of my past dogs, but there's always a first.

As I stated below, I plan on having Tess checked from head to toe by her vet, we have conversed over the telephone and I have an appointment for Tess next week. Trust me, we will get to the bottom of it, whether it be fleas, dry skin or allergies, I will not leave the office without an answer. Although, on a good note, she hasn't been scratching much at all these past two days, I wonder why.

Freestep, no, there are no red marks whatsoever where Tess has been scratching, I've checked repeatedly, all I see is flaky skin. I have no idea what fleas look like so I could be missing them, although if the white sheet and flea comb really works, there were no black flecks at all, so who knows.

As soon as I get an answer, I will let everyone know. Thanks for all your advice and help.
Linda1270 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #13 (permalink)

With Frontline, and the others, fleas have to get on them to die. I've switched to Advantage and it does seem to control better.
Mine got the runs with Blue Buffalo too. After trying other kibble, we've settled on Halo.. a very good kibble and they have solid stools.
Doubtful BB is causing the itching as it doesn't have the corn, soy etc that typically causes food allergies. It's more than likely fleas, and if he/she ingested a flea or 2 then could have tapeworm. Off the wall could be 'mothers mange' (demodectic mange) which are mites they get from their mom.
If you're bathing a lot because of the itching, stop. Frequent bathing will dry out their skin causing itchyness and dandruff. Your vet will examine per your input and take care of this I'm sure, and sure it will be an easy fix. Good Luck!!
DollBaby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1270 View Post
Trust me, we will get to the bottom of it, whether it be fleas, dry skin or allergies, I will not leave the office without an answer.
I hate to be a stick in the mud, but often times even the vet will not have an answer for this kind of thing.

Itching can be caused by So. Many. Things. If it's an allergy, there are a million things (literally) that the dog could be allergic to: food, grass, pollen, mold, dust mites, fleas, even her own body. In order to rule out everything it's not, you'd have to live in a bubble. I'm not trying to scare you, I'm just letting you know that answers aren't always straightforward and don't get mad at your vet if he doesn't have an answer for you. Itchy skin can be one of the most frustrating problems!

Hopefully it is only a transient problem and it will resolve itself, or the vet will be able to find something definitive, like a flea. Fleas are tiny, smaller than the head of a pin, and they are very sneaky little critters that are good at avoiding detection. As I said, it may have been one flea that jumped on her, bit, and then jumped off... one flea bite will itch for days, like a mosquito bite--even though the offending mosquito is long gone, the itch remains for a while. Let's hope it is something as simple as that.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

Not to worry, I will not get mad at my vet if she can't figure out exactly why Tess is scratching. Hopefully, she will be able to get to the bottom of it, and as soon as I know, I will let everyone else know.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #16 (permalink)

i had the same problem.try switching food and if its not the food put salmon oil with her food.it helped with my dog a lot!
arizona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

As soon as we had the undercoat coming in, we had scratching. The coat changing from puppy to adult seems to be a valid culprit. Of course, dry skin doesn't help either! Try a puppy oatmeal shampoo bath and add moisture to the air with a humidifier. Try to remember exactly when it started. I feed Innova, too, and I think it's a good food. I'm thinking about trying Orijen... but I'm on the fence since the Innova goes over well. I DO feed cooked meat also, though...to add in some additional protein. If you make the switch over to Innova, you may want to do this. So far I've used chicken livers and stew meat. It seems that BB can cause loose stools in pups. You can make a total switch over in 10 days according to a couple of vets I've seen.

If you noticed the scratching starting with the coat change, then that's where I'd start. You also mentioned seeing dry skin, so up the moisture in your house. I don't know if you use carpet powder (the kind you vacuum up), but I've had that cause scratching with past shepherds, too. If you're not seeing fleas and you've treated for fleas, I wouldn't go down that road. At this point, a food allergy wouldn't be the first thing on my mind. If you do the oatmeal bath and increase the moisture and you're still having the problem, then I'd think about a food allergy. I don't know how often you're brushing, either. It seems to help some.
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #18 (permalink)

Went to the vet today and the good news is, NO FLEAS! Turns out that she does have dry skin, due to her coat change and the dryness of my home. The vet gave me some supplements to give her for the dry skin and I will also be purchasing a humidifier to help with this issue. All in all, Tess is doing very well, she had her 3rd round of shots today and her nails cut. Hopefully, if I keep working with her, she will eventually let me cut them. She is like a little vibrating lunatic when I even attempt to trim her nails, clawing, biting and trying everything in her power to keep me away, she gave the vet and technicians a way to go today also..

I really am looking forward to the day when she stops biting us and all of my furniture, I thought she was getting a little better but today, she made up for the lack of biting me for a couple of days. Oh the joy of puppyhood!

Last edited by Linda1270; 11-26-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

At 12 weeks old, she is too young to be allergic to a food. Can't be allergies until she's closer to 4-5 months of age.

I think a lot of puppies get really itchy when they start getting those adult guard hairs coming in.

BlackthornGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #20 (permalink)

I am very new to the GSD. I asked a lot of people and did a lot of reading.... Most recommended Blue Buffalo but warned me that since she was not used to it-It would cause loose stools to start due to fact of it being really rich. She did have loose stools for about 4-5 days now they are normal. We do not know for sure if it was the buffalo or a change in food for sure (Calli is a rescue) but just thought I would pass on my experience.
lbcoopman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.