Food for 3 month GSD - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVGSD View Post
When my GSD puppy just had a week of diarrhea, I gave her nothing but chicken breasts and rice (both boiled) and then run through the blender with a little bit of warm water until it resembles a very thick porridge. I gave her this for about 24-36 hours until her stool firmed up again and then gradually added new venison kibble a little bit at a time. She had been on a grain free fish based kibble and it was not agreeing with her after several months.

As of today, she has solid stool again and the transition took about four days. I did a faster transition than mentioned earlier since I had already been fighting liquid stool and, once the chicken breasts and rice porridge got her firmed back up, I added a little bit more venison kibble with each meal until she is now getting a full portion of the new kibble.
What kind of rice? Is organic brown rice good?
Luna0331 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #12 (permalink)

Im a little shell shocked right now. I've always had dobermans. Super lean dogs! At 3 months they are still eating two cups a day. Now I have a full grown GSD (rescue) and, an 2.5 month GSD and, I'm not sure Im feeding either enough right now. I initially switched my full grown Fynn, to a decent dog food (Nothing crazy expensive but something high in meat, no bonemeal no byproduct) He got to a much healthier weight quickly but, still was too lean so once he was adjusted to that, I started adding a 1/2 cup of boiled chicken and, rice to every meal. I just now cut that out of his diet and, he is getting a nice huge steak once a week. His coat, teeth, weight all look great! I'm worried with out the chicken and, rice he'll lose weight. He gets a three and a half cups of food a day. This is what we always fed (depending on the dog) our full grown male dobermans but, I know they are different. I can't imagine He needs 5 cups a day? Does he?
Our puppy Vandy is getting two cups a day (through three feedings) and, her weekly steak. She's a puppy so she's always hungry and we are ready to up her food but, to how much? She has a nice soft round belly, no boating or anything but, she is a big girl.
HELP! Haha Any thoughts?
Fynn&Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fynn&Vandy View Post
Im a little shell shocked right now. I've always had dobermans. Super lean dogs! At 3 months they are still eating two cups a day. Now I have a full grown GSD (rescue) and, an 2.5 month GSD and, I'm not sure Im feeding either enough right now. I initially switched my full grown Fynn, to a decent dog food (Nothing crazy expensive but something high in meat, no bonemeal no byproduct) He got to a much healthier weight quickly but, still was too lean so once he was adjusted to that, I started adding a 1/2 cup of boiled chicken and, rice to every meal. I just now cut that out of his diet and, he is getting a nice huge steak once a week. His coat, teeth, weight all look great! I'm worried with out the chicken and, rice he'll lose weight. He gets a three and a half cups of food a day. This is what we always fed (depending on the dog) our full grown male dobermans but, I know they are different. I can't imagine He needs 5 cups a day? Does he?
Our puppy Vandy is getting two cups a day (through three feedings) and, her weekly steak. She's a puppy so she's always hungry and we are ready to up her food but, to how much? She has a nice soft round belly, no boating or anything but, she is a big girl.
HELP! Haha Any thoughts?
I recently asked my vet questions regarding this subject, they said to just look what the main ingredients and as long as there is a good amount of protein in it, there are formulas for calculating how many calories your dog needs based on age and size, activity levels etc. I'm sure these formulas are available online.
Luna0331 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #14 (permalink)

Blue Wilderness is very high in protein & could be too much for your dog to handle, this is one of its major complaints.
GSD13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

We feed adult food, right from the beginning. If you feed a good quality kibble, you will find you don't need to feed as much as a lesser quality food.

We feed Holistic Select Lamb, and although we have experimented with other foods, we always come back to the Holistic Select. This seems to be a good quality kibble, that keeps weight on well (GSD's and Malinois) and has given us very good, consistent results.
www.vandesterke.com
Tim Connell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

I agree with GSD13. German shepherds are prone to digestive issues, and BB is a very high quality food, probably to hard for her to handle. My GSD also had this problem when he was on diamond naturals. When we switched him to natural choice, he never had diarrhea again.

Grizzpup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.